• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Can I Improve the Timing of my Drive?

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
Hi, I play for the U13 team at my club and i'm a pace bowler, although i am a competent batsmen. I would however like to be promoted down the order, to do this I think I need to improve my drive, as when I practise in the nets, I dont get many full pitched balls to drive, but in matches I get lots. Therefore I need to improve my timing of them because I usually loft them up straight at the fielder. I have pretty good technique for my drive, but any help on improving my timing would be welcomed greatly!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Throwdowns. Tedious, but frustratingly effective. :) Also, move up the order. ;)

Jakester1288

International Regular
Hi, I play for the U13 team at my club and i'm a pace bowler, although i am a competent batsmen. I would however like to be promoted down the order, to do this I think I need to improve my drive, as when I practise in the nets, I dont get many full pitched balls to drive, but in matches I get lots. Therefore I need to improve my timing of them because I usually loft them up straight at the fielder. I have pretty good technique for my drive, but any help on improving my timing would be welcomed greatly!
Why do you want to move down the order? To answer your question, practice, practice then practice some more. Throwdowns will help as well. I am comfortable with my drives, actually, I am comfortable playing every shot bar a defensive block to the spinners at my school who pitch it short and it bounces up to your chest area. I am roughly your age (12 turning 13) and I have to play down next year. I am a rep player and we will have 3 other rep players in our team. I have a feeling we will be an awesome team, although we will only have about 5 experienced guys.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Why do you want to move down the order? To answer your question, practice, practice then practice some more. Throwdowns will help as well. I am comfortable with my drives, actually, I am comfortable playing every shot bar a defensive block to the spinners at my school who pitch it short and it bounces up to your chest area. I am roughly your age (12 turning 13) and I have to play down next year. I am a rep player and we will have 3 other rep players in our team. I have a feeling we will be an awesome team, although we will only have about 5 experienced guys.
If a spinner is bowling a ball that is coming up at your chest then it should be disappearing over square leg...

The guys are dead on - throwdowns are utterly crucial. Get forward, get a good bent front knee and get your head right out over it. I reckon you're lofting it to fielders in because you're half-forward, your head is over your back knee if not back foot and you lean backwards, aiming your bat up to the sky. This is a pretty common issue: a close cover catching ring takes so many wickets at <U13 level!

I know it sounds dull, but get a mate to do 15 minutes for you and then return the favour - you will get there with practice, practice, practice - and the reward will be massive in the match.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On this point, as I'm getting older and my knees are wearing out, I'm finding it really difficult to get that big forward step in with a good bend in the knee to drive.

Anyone have any thoughts about how to get around it, aside from my current Sobers-like back and across over-cover drive?

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
the last 6 inches!!!! watch the bat completely onto your bat, hit below your nose, and transfer weight from front foot through your arms and wrists back foot shouldnt move if it does then too much bottom hand, back of bat should be directly over your head.
that should help