Thread: How Can I Improve the Timing of my Drive?

Cricket Spectator

How Can I Improve the Timing of my Drive?

Hi, I play for the U13 team at my club and i'm a pace bowler, although i am a competent batsmen. I would however like to be promoted down the order, to do this I think I need to improve my drive, as when I practise in the nets, I dont get many full pitched balls to drive, but in matches I get lots. Therefore I need to improve my timing of them because I usually loft them up straight at the fielder. I have pretty good technique for my drive, but any help on improving my timing would be welcomed greatly!

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Throwdowns. Tedious, but frustratingly effective. Also, move up the order.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by -ShakeyBlakey- View Post
    Hi, I play for the U13 team at my club and i'm a pace bowler, although i am a competent batsmen. I would however like to be promoted down the order, to do this I think I need to improve my drive, as when I practise in the nets, I dont get many full pitched balls to drive, but in matches I get lots. Therefore I need to improve my timing of them because I usually loft them up straight at the fielder. I have pretty good technique for my drive, but any help on improving my timing would be welcomed greatly!
    Why do you want to move down the order? To answer your question, practice, practice then practice some more. Throwdowns will help as well. I am comfortable with my drives, actually, I am comfortable playing every shot bar a defensive block to the spinners at my school who pitch it short and it bounces up to your chest area. I am roughly your age (12 turning 13) and I have to play down next year. I am a rep player and we will have 3 other rep players in our team. I have a feeling we will be an awesome team, although we will only have about 5 experienced guys.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    Why do you want to move down the order? To answer your question, practice, practice then practice some more. Throwdowns will help as well. I am comfortable with my drives, actually, I am comfortable playing every shot bar a defensive block to the spinners at my school who pitch it short and it bounces up to your chest area. I am roughly your age (12 turning 13) and I have to play down next year. I am a rep player and we will have 3 other rep players in our team. I have a feeling we will be an awesome team, although we will only have about 5 experienced guys.
    If a spinner is bowling a ball that is coming up at your chest then it should be disappearing over square leg...

The guys are dead on - throwdowns are utterly crucial. Get forward, get a good bent front knee and get your head right out over it. I reckon you're lofting it to fielders in because you're half-forward, your head is over your back knee if not back foot and you lean backwards, aiming your bat up to the sky. This is a pretty common issue: a close cover catching ring takes so many wickets at <U13 level!

I know it sounds dull, but get a mate to do 15 minutes for you and then return the favour - you will get there with practice, practice, practice - and the reward will be massive in the match.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Banned
    if you hit it in the air it means youre too early on the shot.

Wait for the ball.

Cricket Spectator
    cheers for all of your replies.
    lol
    i meant up the order!

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    On this point, as I'm getting older and my knees are wearing out, I'm finding it really difficult to get that big forward step in with a good bend in the knee to drive.

Anyone have any thoughts about how to get around it, aside from my current Sobers-like back and across over-cover drive?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Banned
    Thank God you're not a fast bowler.

I can make my left ankle crack on demand lol.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    Thank God you're not a fast bowler.

I can make my left ankle crack on demand lol.
    I know my knee will be stuffed by the time I am 30. I too am a pace bowler. I prey for protection on my back, knee, ankles etc.

the last 6 inches!!!! watch the bat completely onto your bat, hit below your nose, and transfer weight from front foot through your arms and wrists back foot shouldnt move if it does then too much bottom hand, back of bat should be directly over your head.
    that should help
    4 runs at richmond!!

Thread Information