Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bowling faster!

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    Yes.
    Good luck to you then!

The easiest way to see what your action is like is to post a video like some of the other guys have done on other threads. It's difficult to go off what a person says they are doing.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Good luck to you then!

The easiest way to see what your action is like is to post a video like some of the other guys have done on other threads. It's difficult to go off what a person says they are doing.
    I can't though. I have no ideas of where to film me boling. I have no where tbh.

Hey Jake,

Having coached quite a few bowlers and had loads of coaching myself I just thought I'd have my two cents worth.

I disagree that you should be curently focusing on pace solely, at the age you are having the abilty to tuck senior (or rep) batsmen up is good going. Technique is the paramount issue you need to focus on, if you can build a fluid smooth action and automate it, that is the time to focus on pace.

You wouldn't believe how easy it is to lose your action from concentrating only on pace. If you can perfect your technique and develop your action you have a potential to develop into a pretty devastating quick.

No matter how quick you bowl, if you can't consistantly hit that off peg you are going to get slapped about when you play a higher standard.

You said you can't get yourself filmed, does your school have any AV facilities you can loan out? Never underestimate to benefit of videoing yourself (either bowling or batting), even if you just have a look at the footage yourself.

Best of luck, wish you many a wicket (or bruised rib!)

LF

(p.s Hi all, long time reader, new poster. Anyone from yorkshire?)

There is no theory of evolution, just a list of
    creatures Chuck Norris allows to live.

Cricket Spectator
    speed means nowt at your age its getting you line an length right.
    im 14 now and i bowl about 60 when i was your age i concentrated on line and length and waited to get stronger.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fez View Post
    Hey Jake,

Having coached quite a few bowlers and had loads of coaching myself I just thought I'd have my two cents worth.

I disagree that you should be curently focusing on pace solely, at the age you are having the abilty to tuck senior (or rep) batsmen up is good going. Technique is the paramount issue you need to focus on, if you can build a fluid smooth action and automate it, that is the time to focus on pace.

You wouldn't believe how easy it is to lose your action from concentrating only on pace. If you can perfect your technique and develop your action you have a potential to develop into a pretty devastating quick.

No matter how quick you bowl, if you can't consistantly hit that off peg you are going to get slapped about when you play a higher standard.

You said you can't get yourself filmed, does your school have any AV facilities you can loan out? Never underestimate to benefit of videoing yourself (either bowling or batting), even if you just have a look at the footage yourself.

Best of luck, wish you many a wicket (or bruised rib!)

LF

(p.s Hi all, long time reader, new poster. Anyone from yorkshire?)
    Thanks LF. I have no idea about anything to do with AV. The batsmen that I scareare so far from fully fledged, and I scare the sh*t out of them when they have no padding.

Serves them right for not wearing pads!

When I was at school we had some dark dingy room where students could rent out video cameras and the like, mostly as long as it stays in school but we could get permission to take it home for the night. Not sure if it will be the same for you as I'm in the UK, but worth a go.

I meant to say in my last post regarding having no where to do it, even just getting a mate to film you while you guys are playing at lunch. It's all about just seeing your own action and getting an idea of what you look like.

You'll be suprised at how you look when you bowl (not necessarily in a bad way).

LF

International Regular
    Serves them right for not wearing pads!

When I was at school we had some dark dingy room where students could rent out video cameras and the like, mostly as long as it stays in school but we could get permission to take it home for the night. Not sure if it will be the same for you as I'm in the UK, but worth a go.

I meant to say in my last post regarding having no where to do it, even just getting a mate to film you while you guys are playing at lunch. It's all about just seeing your own action and getting an idea of what you look like.

You'll be suprised at how you look when you bowl (not necessarily in a bad way).

LF
    That's a good idea. I will look into how I can get hold of a camera and video myself bowling. Then I would need to get it on to YouTube wouldn't I?

Yeah stick it on youtube, get the opinions of the people. If you don't fancy broadcasting to the world feel free to PM me.

Alternativley check this out:

http://www.earpsports.com/PubContent...s%20bowler.pdf

This is closest thing I could find on the net that I use when coaching. I would say read the stuff below the table first to get an idea of what we look for both live and on video.

Once you have had a look at that, keep it in mind when you watch a video of yourself.

I do urge you however to not spend too long on this sheet as this is more detailed analysis than you need at your age, it's really to give you an idea of what to think about.

As it says on the document:
    "bad advice or guess work is a waste of time." - Dont forget that neither I, or anyone on here know how you play or your action. There is no substitute for having a coach there with you to explain every point.

LF

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Great to see you sign up Fez. There's quite a few blokes from Yorkshire, but we don't like to talk about them...
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

I can't though. I have no ideas of where to film me boling. I have no where tbh.
    You could try a decent digital camera if you can't find a proper video camera. Most have decent video capabilities now anyway and it'll give some indication.

International Regular
    Yeah stick it on youtube, get the opinions of the people. If you don't fancy broadcasting to the world feel free to PM me.

Alternativley check this out:

http://www.earpsports.com/PubContent...s%20bowler.pdf

This is closest thing I could find on the net that I use when coaching. I would say read the stuff below the table first to get an idea of what we look for both live and on video.

Once you have had a look at that, keep it in mind when you watch a video of yourself.

I do urge you however to not spend too long on this sheet as this is more detailed analysis than you need at your age, it's really to give you an idea of what to think about.

As it says on the document:
    "bad advice or guess work is a waste of time." - Dont forget that neither I, or anyone on here know how you play or your action. There is no substitute for having a coach there with you to explain every point.

LF
    You can't PM on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    You could try a decent digital camera if you can't find a proper video camera. Most have decent video capabilities now anyway and it'll give some indication.
    I never thought of that. That is a good idea.

You can't PM on here.

I never thought of that. That is a good idea.

Yeah I often forget my digital camera has video on it too. It has really good quality video so there's not a lot of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    Great to see you sign up Fez. There's quite a few blokes from Yorkshire, but we don't like to talk about them...
    Well.....I'm not FROM yorkshire per say , just mooching off the tax payer at uni here then it's back to the sunny south for me!
    Nice to be welcomed though!

Like the idea of a digital camera, as you say most of them have decent filming capability now which will work just fine.

International Regular
    Well, today I bowled fairly well and was pleased with what I could do. I tried to get some filming on a couple of my friends phones, but the quality was really crappy and not worth posting. No one is allowed to bring a video camera, so we can't get any good quality videos of each other bowling. We are really keen to do this, cause I want to get the opinion of my fellow Cricket loving fans.

I thought I might add that today in the last session I hurt my groin a bit. When I started my run up and was about 5 strides into it, I felt some pain in my groin. I continued bowling, but after the ball I had to sit down, thus not putting any pressure on my groin. Feeling a bit better now, and hopefully a sleep and rest will have it right for tomorrow.

School Boy/Girl Captain tait express123's Avatar
    I run in of 22 steps.
    That's a big run up for your age(what is you age) id be looking to shorten it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information