• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling faster!

Jakester1288

International Regular
Yeah stick it on youtube, get the opinions of the people. If you don't fancy broadcasting to the world feel free to PM me.

Alternativley check this out:

http://www.earpsports.com/PubContent/Docs/Microsoft Word - occ coach video analysis bowler.pdf

This is closest thing I could find on the net that I use when coaching. I would say read the stuff below the table first to get an idea of what we look for both live and on video.

Once you have had a look at that, keep it in mind when you watch a video of yourself.

I do urge you however to not spend too long on this sheet as this is more detailed analysis than you need at your age, it's really to give you an idea of what to think about.

As it says on the document:
"bad advice or guess work is a waste of time." - Dont forget that neither I, or anyone on here know how you play or your action. There is no substitute for having a coach there with you to explain every point.

LF
You can't PM on here.

You could try a decent digital camera if you can't find a proper video camera. Most have decent video capabilities now anyway and it'll give some indication.
I never thought of that. That is a good idea.

Lord_fez

Cricket Spectator
Great to see you sign up Fez. :) There's quite a few blokes from Yorkshire, but we don't like to talk about them...
Well.....I'm not FROM yorkshire per say :) , just mooching off the tax payer at uni here then it's back to the sunny south for me!
Nice to be welcomed though!

Like the idea of a digital camera, as you say most of them have decent filming capability now which will work just fine.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Well, today I bowled fairly well and was pleased with what I could do. I tried to get some filming on a couple of my friends phones, but the quality was really crappy and not worth posting. No one is allowed to bring a video camera, so we can't get any good quality videos of each other bowling. We are really keen to do this, cause I want to get the opinion of my fellow Cricket loving fans.

I thought I might add that today in the last session I hurt my groin a bit. When I started my run up and was about 5 strides into it, I felt some pain in my groin. I continued bowling, but after the ball I had to sit down, thus not putting any pressure on my groin. Feeling a bit better now, and hopefully a sleep and rest will have it right for tomorrow.

nz0003

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just signed up so havent seen this thread before.

Last season I was 14 and about 5 ft 11, now im 16 and about 6 ft 4

I reckon I was bowling about 80 kms back then, now I bowl bout 110 - 120km.

Speed just develops as you get bigger and stronger, I just decided at the start of this season to run in hard and bowl farst and I could.

Well thats how I got faster.

thierry henry

International Coach
Just signed up so havent seen this thread before.

Last season I was 14 and about 5 ft 11, now im 16 and about 6 ft 4

I reckon I was bowling about 80 kms back then, now I bowl bout 110 - 120km.

Speed just develops as you get bigger and stronger, I just decided at the start of this season to run in hard and bowl farst and I could.

Well thats how I got faster.
Yeah, just wait until you become 6 ft 4, it happens to everyone eventually :huh:

Going from age 14 to age 16 in one year also helps :huh:

nz0003

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah, just wait until you become 6 ft 4, it happens to everyone eventually :huh:

Going from age 14 to age 16 in one year also helps :huh:
The main point was that pace develops with your body, doesnt matter how big you are.

I didnt say it was 1 year, season to season mate.

At the start of last season I was 14, at coming towards the end of this season im 16.

Get it right before you speak.

tait express123

School Boy/Girl Captain
The main point was that pace develops with your body, doesnt matter how big you are.

I didnt say it was 1 year, season to season mate.

At the start of last season I was 14, at coming towards the end of this season im 16.

Get it right before you speak.
Well the way you wrote it was a bit unco TBH.

But anyway Jakester1288 you should be aiming for line and length at your age.

Julian87

State Captain
Jake. Eat chicken for breakfast lunch and dinner for 6 days a week.

Then on the sixth, eat high amounts of pasta.

Do this all season, but don't train. Then come next summer, you should be twice as quick.

jathu

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I was just wondering If I would become faster if used wrist weights whilst bowling in the nets...

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
There is simply no fast track way to bowl faster. Take it from someone who has tried every quick fix method due to my pitiful determination. However, I have found a series of long term things which do help. This is, by no means, all inclusive.

Boxing against a heavy bag - 2 minute rounds of high intensity followed by 2 minutes rest is sufficient. Look for six rounds, with each arm. Each arm is critical to avoid injury.

Planks - hold them for as long as possible and do them four times a day with plenty of rest imbetween. Note that they are useless on their own and so the next tip is important if you want to do a plank.

Explosive Strength - 5 exercises that will improve your explosive power for cricket | Cricket coaching, fitness and tips

Basic strength - chin ups and press ups, invaluable.

A run up - it is amazing how few cricketers have an effective run up. The key is to never slow down and always be speeding up. You should be travelling at fair speed by the time you reach the crease with even strides and no fear of a no ball.

Keeping the legs active - this might just be for me as I have tight hamstrings, but make sure you do not spend prolonged periods of time without going for a walk or run or leg stretch. Just keep the legs active throughout each days.

Action - build a base of strength before looking in depth at the action. The simple tips you want to include are present here (below the info about the SLOB): Mavericks Cricket Coaching - The SLOB - the world's best slower ball

Jakester1288

International Regular
Time for a thread revival, TBH. Cricket season is fast approching, and this season, I'll be playing seniors, hopefully rep, and opening the bowling for the school team.

I've been working on my action and stuff today, keeping a straight front leg with a bent back leg, keeping my chest over my hips when I am running in, a good jump, pulling my front arm down faster and using a longer run up (from 11 steps to 18 steps). Generated some nice pace, now I need to work on getting the run up right, and the pace combined with accuracy, to go with the new action.

Excited.