• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast Bowler's Grip

Lightspeed

Cricket Spectator
Hey, I've always bowled pace with a tight grip on the ball with very little space in between. However due to advice I began holding it somewhat looser and with more gap. I know this to be the proper technique for bowling quick but then I heard something interesting in this video from Shoaib.

He mentions that you should hold the ball with some gap and a little loose but then mentions that he holds it tight. So I was wondering does holding the ball tightly really reduce pace as I've been told. After all Shoaib is one of the fastest to throw down a ball from 22 yards.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1uJPHwq0vaU

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Shoaib's hyperextention may make it difficult for him to hold the ball loosely. The common advice is to hold the ball loosely so that it can fly out of your hand more quickly and with less friction from your hand.

bond21

Banned
dont hold it too tight.

Do whats comfortable. I know a quick bowler who holds it tight, but they teach you to hold it so theres a window between the ball and your hand

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I always held the ball very tightly. Given the speed I ran in, holding the ball loosly meant that I felt like it was going to slip out and almost floated out of my hand in delivery.

Holding it tight meant that I could get the full wrist and fingers behind the ball and add additional speed.

What does slow things down is when the ball is held tightly in the back of the hand

You can think of it like a bullet in a barrell.

Too tight and it sticks and comes out slow. Too loose and it floats out slowly. Just right is where it fits tightly and snug enabling a strong feeling that sets the ball in the right direction with minimum loss of speed.

Last edited:

bond21

Banned
I always held the ball very tightly. Given the speed I ran in, holding the ball loosly meant that I felt like it was going to slip out and almost floated out of my hand in delivery.

Holding it tight meant that I could get the full wrist and fingers behind the ball and add additional speed.

What does slow things down is when the ball is held tightly in the back of the hand

You can think of it like a bullet in a barrell.

Too tight and it sticks and comes out slow. Too loose and it floats out slowly. Just right is where it fits tightly and snug enabling a strong feeling that sets the ball in the right direction with minimum loss of speed.
yea thats what we mean, it doesnt matter how tightly you grip the ball, its only a problem when you hold it back in the hand too far.

It should be held in the fingers, I would imagine holding it back in the hand would affect the release and would not allow swing if the seam is scrambled.