Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Fast Bowler's Grip

Cricket Spectator

Fast Bowler's Grip

Hey, I've always bowled pace with a tight grip on the ball with very little space in between. However due to advice I began holding it somewhat looser and with more gap. I know this to be the proper technique for bowling quick but then I heard something interesting in this video from Shoaib.

He mentions that you should hold the ball with some gap and a little loose but then mentions that he holds it tight. So I was wondering does holding the ball tightly really reduce pace as I've been told. After all Shoaib is one of the fastest to throw down a ball from 22 yards.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1uJPHwq0vaU

Shoaib's hyperextention may make it difficult for him to hold the ball loosely. The common advice is to hold the ball loosely so that it can fly out of your hand more quickly and with less friction from your hand.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Cricket Spectator
    Hyper extension is in the limbs... How can that make it hard for him to hold it loosely?

International Regular
    I hole mine fairly loose, with my fingers together on the seam for standard deliveries.

Banned
    dont hold it too tight.

Do whats comfortable. I know a quick bowler who holds it tight, but they teach you to hold it so theres a window between the ball and your hand

still scratching around in the same old hole
    I always held the ball very tightly. Given the speed I ran in, holding the ball loosly meant that I felt like it was going to slip out and almost floated out of my hand in delivery.

Holding it tight meant that I could get the full wrist and fingers behind the ball and add additional speed.

What does slow things down is when the ball is held tightly in the back of the hand

You can think of it like a bullet in a barrell.

Too tight and it sticks and comes out slow. Too loose and it floats out slowly. Just right is where it fits tightly and snug enabling a strong feeling that sets the ball in the right direction with minimum loss of speed.
    Last edited by Goughy; 06-06-2008 at 02:37 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I always held the ball very tightly. Given the speed I ran in, holding the ball loosly meant that I felt like it was going to slip out and almost floated out of my hand in delivery.

Holding it tight meant that I could get the full wrist and fingers behind the ball and add additional speed.

What does slow things down is when the ball is held tightly in the back of the hand

You can think of it like a bullet in a barrell.

Too tight and it sticks and comes out slow. Too loose and it floats out slowly. Just right is where it fits tightly and snug enabling a strong feeling that sets the ball in the right direction with minimum loss of speed.
    yea thats what we mean, it doesnt matter how tightly you grip the ball, its only a problem when you hold it back in the hand too far.

It should be held in the fingers, I would imagine holding it back in the hand would affect the release and would not allow swing if the seam is scrambled.

Thread Information