• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Something for the technical buffs

cover drive man

International Captain
I bowl a slinger style and I bowl around the wicket, my dad said I should try going in the wicket but why is that?

Last edited:

bond21

Banned
are you talking about the release or the spot you want to bowl? I dont understand.

You want to bowl over the wicket on an off stump line, over the wicket means your bowling hand is closest to the wicket, around the wicket means your non bowling hand is closest to the wicket. So if you are a right arm bowler -

III = Stumps

III
Batsman

III
Bowler

Over I Around

You should be coming over the wicket and hitting off stump, if you are going around the wicket, you are completely eliminating LBW as an option unless you can swing it in enough.

As a beginner I would tell them to run in a straight line, from the start of the run up and the follow through, that would help accuracy.

However it changes slightly when we are talking about swing bowling. For an inswing bowler, he should be in line with the wicketkeeper's pads at the top of his run up and run in straight.

An outswing bowler should run in on a slight angle, to start the ball slightly down leg side to account for the swing, if an outswing bowler runs in straight and bowls straight, it will swing too far to the off side, so you have to account for that and adjust your line, which means adjusting your run up, and angling in towards the stumps ever so slightly is the easiest way to bowl slightly down leg side to account for the outswing.

Heres a good example, I would classify myself as an inswing bowler who can swing it both ways, inswing just comes more naturally, however in a match I had the breeze going towards the offside so I switched to outswing. I did not account for this in my run up and I was running in straight, trying to start it on leg stump and swing it away, but because I was running in straight it wasnt as easy to get it on leg stump as it would have been had I angled my run up towards leg stump, because I had to change my line at the last second.

So basically the ball started too straight and swung too far outside off, not making the batsman play.

bond21

Banned
Well that diagram didnt turn out how it was when I typed it but whatever.

Bowl over the wicket, the reason is in my above post.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
AS a thumb rule its better yo bowl to the batsmen from that side of the wicket which correspondes to the batsman's off side. This takes care of the orientation - left handed or right - of both batsmen and bowlers.

Thus to right handed batsmen the right hand bowlers should bowl over the wicket and the left hand bowlers round the wicket. This means both types of bowlers will be bowling from the same side of the wicket really which is the off side of the right handed batsmen.

Similarly you reverse it for the left handed batsmen.

Remember all this is strictly for the bowler trying to attack and get wickets.

This has inherent advantages which one can discuss in detail if required.

The major variation to this comes when the ball moves so much that bowling from a particular side of the wicket is not going to help you to get wickets. For example : If an off spinner/in swinger is bowling over the wicket and the ball is moving so much that even when pitched slightly outside the off stump the ball appears to be missing leg.

In such cases bowlers are advised to bowl round the wicket to cut down the angle of movement. Now even after spinning/swerving, a ball pitched outside off stump is likely to crash into the stumps.

Its the reverse with legspinners/outswingers bowling to left handed batsmen.

bond21

Banned
Why would you go around the wicket for a left handed batsman??

If you do that then you take away your biggest advantage, the angle angling across the batsman.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

If you do that then you take away your biggest advantage, the angle angling across the batsman.
Before I answer that, lets first underatand that the width of the bowling crease has its own importance too in variations. For the sake of basic technique, you assume that a bowler bowls from close to the stumps from either side of the wicket and goes wide of the stumps for variations of angle etc.

Now, if you deliver from round the wicket to a left hander (from close to the stumps) your line of delivery from hand for a ball delivered straight down the wicket is on or just outside the offstump. (the same is true when bowling over the wicket to a right hander). T

This is the conventional line of attack (on and around the off stump) for all types and styles of bowling and this is what any good coach will tell you to learn before you try anything else like concentrating on bowling a leg stump line.

As far as angle of delivery is concerned. This is a phenomenon that has come up after the advent of the limited over game.

It is a fact that both a leg stump attack and a ball moving across the body cramp a batsman from making strokes freely. It is not aimed at getting the batsman out proactively but by getting him out due to frustration. The frustration sets in more in limited overs game (and now even in some Test batsmen due to lack of patience which is inculcated in the longer version)

This is not to ay that the round varying of the attack is not warranted on occasions for a change as well as due to certain conditions or a certain type of batting style of a batsman. But not as a general rule.

bond21

Banned
A good coach will tell you to bowl over the wicket and use the natural angle as an advantage to a left handed batsman.

Ive spoken to some left handers and all of them said they would rather face a bowler going around the wicket than over the wicket.

The only reason I would go around the wicket to a left hander is if I couldnt get him out and I was swinging the ball out, I would go around the wicket, angle it in and swing it away from him.

You can still attack off stump bowling over the wicket, just pitch the ball on about middle or middle and leg and the angle will take it to about off stump, if you can swing it in, even better, aim outside off, and let the swing bring it back and get him LBW or bowl him through the gate.

Swing bowling is all about angles, if a right arm bowler bowls from close to the stumps, the ball will swing more than if he bowled wide of the crease and aimed at the same spot.

Seeing as most bowlers bowl outswing and cant bowl inswing, they should be going over the wicket, angling it away from the left handed batsman, then bringing it back in.

An inswing bowler should be either going over the wicket, starting outside leg stump and swinging it away to the slips, looking for an edge, I do this and most lefties ive bowled to dont know what to do with it because they dont face it very often.

Another option is going around the wicket, angling it in, then swinging it away, it wont swing as much but you get 2 angles.

As for right handed batsmen, an outswing bowler should look to pitch the ball on middle or middle and leg and it should just pass off stump, so he has to aim outside leg to account for the swing.

For an inswing bowler, he should be basically bowling banana balls, starting it well outside off and bringing it back in, looking for a gap between bat and pad, the variation is either the outswinger or the straight one.

Hell Ive had batsmen leaving the ball outside off the first ball I bowl to them, assuming it will go straight, and if it swings late, it comes back in and clean bowls them.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
A good coach will tell you to bowl over the wicket and use the natural angle as an advantage to a left handed batsman.

Ive spoken to some left handers and all of them said they would rather face a bowler going around the wicket than over the wicket.
Does that sample of left handers include Adam Gilchrist?

A good coach won't tell you to do anything. A good coach will encourage you to understand what you're doing and why it is/isn't working for you.

bond21

Banned
Does that sample of left handers include Adam Gilchrist?

A good coach won't tell you to do anything. A good coach will encourage you to understand what you're doing and why it is/isn't working for you.
yea well when cover drive man plays for India he can bowl around the wicket to Gilchrist.

Oh and another thing, Bowling over the wicket to a right hander is very different than bowling around the wicket to a left hander, because bowling around the wicket to a leftie means you angle it in to the batsman more, and if you get it on the wrong line which is easy to do when you dont do it often, its easy runs.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
'Over' the wicket is the convention because it is the side in which the bowling arm is closest to the wicket, so consequently can release the ball from as straight as possible, have a high bowling arm and release the ball in a straight line on an off stump line.

jonny1408

School Boy/Girl Captain

And as well as that any movement in gives you a very good chance of bowling them through the gate.

bond21

Banned
exactly, if you can bowl inswing to a left hander, you are a real chance of bowling them through the gate, ive done it many times.