• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What Muscles Are Used In A Fast Bowlers Action ?

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
Can anyone list them.. it would be helpful...

I'm kind of guessing the basic ones would be.. Abdominals, err.. actually i haven't a clue ?! any one ?? thanks...

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If you want to strengthen yourself for fast bowling, do core exercises. Chin ups, press ups and squats are a good place to start. www.harrowdrive.com, will help you quite a lot with cricket fitness too.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Simple, the ones that hurt the most the day after a game are the ones you need to work on.

Steulen

International Regular
Speaking as a biomechanist who has never bowled a ball in his life, I think the muscles to focus on would be the abdominals and the shoulder rotator cuff.

Of course, the complete sequence of running in and bowling the ball requires virtually every large muscle group in the body, but your leg muscles can be expected to be able to make you run, so it's less of a necessity to pay extra attention to leg muscle strengthening.

Having said that, if you're serious about it and are training at a fairly elite level, I am convinced low intensity leg co-ordination and balance exercises will improve your action and lower the risk of injuries.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Speaking as a biomechanist who has never bowled a ball in his life, I think the muscles to focus on would be the abdominals and the shoulder rotator cuff.

Of course, the complete sequence of running in and bowling the ball requires virtually every large muscle group in the body, but your leg muscles can be expected to be able to make you run, so it's less of a necessity to pay extra attention to leg muscle strengthening.

Having said that, if you're serious about it and are training at a fairly elite level, I am convinced low intensity leg co-ordination and balance exercises will improve your action and lower the risk of injuries.
Roger Clemens, one of the best pitches in American history always talks about his legs when speaking about his fitness for a season. It's always 'my legs are feeling good', or not. Leg strength is incredibly important in baseball, and I'd venture to say it would be equally so in cricket.

Steulen

International Regular
DWTA. In baseball, a pitcher has to generate enormous amount of momentum from a static, standing position. A cricket bowler comes running in and needs to translate the momentum from running into the actual delivery with a flowing action. This suggests that incredible leg strength is less necessary for a fast bowler than for a pitcher.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
DWTA. In baseball, a pitcher has to generate enormous amount of momentum from a static, standing position. A cricket bowler comes running in and needs to translate the momentum from running into the actual delivery with a flowing action. This suggests that incredible leg strength is less necessary for a fast bowler than for a pitcher.
But the fact that leg strength is crucial for a baseball pitcher (ask any of them) then tells you something about how much cricket fast bowlers need it. And baseball pitch is not static as far as legs are concerned.

bond21

Banned
Core strength and leg strength are the most important.

Those are the 2 areas where you get most of your speed from. And yes, leg strength is crucial for fast bowling.