• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting Problem

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I would say that I'm pretty strong all round the wicket, except for one place: I can't play good length or half-volleys that are angled into my pads. It's not about getting out, just not scoring off them. I just end up sticking my front out and playing round it, and just missing the ball. Have you got any tips on how to make this a place were I can score runs?

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't go for the full forward press. Get about 3/4 forwards and play the ball late, and square. If the ball is moving off the seam / spinning sharply and bouncing, better leave them alone, or upper cut if you have enough width.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe try to work the ball straighter. If the ball is angled into your pads, the angle of it may well take it towards or behind square leg anyway. Should also say it's really important not to fall across towards off. Head must remain as still as possible.

Ozzie Osborne

Cricket Spectator
Maybe try to work the ball straighter. If the ball is angled into your pads, the angle of it may well take it towards or behind square leg anyway. Should also say it's really important not to fall across towards off. Head must remain as still as possible.
Agreed with Burgey, try to focus on playing straighter so your looking and ondrives and straight drives. However, you dont have to hit every ball so be patient and wait for the bad one.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hmm, I am much stronger in that area, but it would mean that I would have to step quite away off my stumps. Might try it though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I don't think that's a smart call. Look at where your left toe is pointed when you try to glance to leg. I can't play that shot because I play so far around my pad because my toe points to cover - it ought to be straighter so you can get your head comfortably over it and are more open at point of contact.

bond21

Banned
let me know how many times you get out by doing what i suggested.

You have 2 options, either drive it through mid wicket-mid on or glance it down to fine leg, or just defend it.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Will do. I think I'm gonna try and play it as straight as I possibly can for the time being. I never really get out to it though, it just usually thumps into my pad, which is pretty frustrating as bowlers shouldn't be able to get away with bowling on the pads.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I would say that I'm pretty strong all round the wicket, except for one place: I can play good length or half-volleys that are angled into my pads.
I assume the idiots telling you to hit it over point were just confused because they misinterpreted what your weakness is. That tends to happen when you say the opposite of what you mean :p