• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Leg spin pace HELP HELP

Peteryc

Cricket Spectator
Does anyone know how quick a 13 year old should bowl leg spin? He has huge turn and variations but has been told to pick up the pace, at the moment he does not lob the ball, has some drift and drop and all that but needs to pick up the pace according to his coaches. So if there are any experienced coaches out there can you please tell me approximately at what speed KPH or MPH he should be bowling at?????

bond21

Banned
i duno most spinners bowl it too fast, thus negating maximum spin.

Unless hes bowling pies i would encourage him to give it some flight because that is harder to play than fast leg spin which doesnt turn as much.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's very tough at 13. You still find some kids bowling big donkey drops and getting out poor batsmen, but then find themselves against good batsmen and getting smashed everywhere.

I think that at such a young age, if the kid has talent, he'll find his natural pace. As long as he's getting a lot out of his action is the major point; if it's slow but it's getting enough dip and drift to concern the batsman, then that's OK.

Peteryc

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the feedback, he does not bowl donkey drops, and yes he gets dip and drift along with the turn but for some reason his coaches seem to want more pace. His club figures were 50 overs 18 wickets for 159, this was for the U14 grade and his district was 37 overs 9 for 123 so he does not get tonked around. He gets frustrated at being told to pick up the pace all the time surely this will come with age, when he gets bigger and stronger.... Apreciate your reply Thanks.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its too slow if a batsman can go back and watch it off the pitch.

Ive coached a lot of U13s and the biggest problem is what gets wickets at that level (slow with big turn and almost tennis ball bounce) leads to bad habits and gets destroyed by any good player.

A quick tip. Take him to a decent astro net. If he struggles to be able to hit the stumps when bowling a good full length (boucing over the top) then its too slow. That slow bounce kills bad batting but is fodder when moving up levels.

If the coaches say he needs to pick up the pace then he probably does. Its not easy though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If you make sure that he's making full use of his action, i.e.
  • His front arm extends and pulls the body through as much as possible
  • The back leg comes around after delivery strongly, to the point where his chest is facing cover after follow through
then the natural pace will come. If he's not all that strong at hte moment, it's OK. It might be hard for a season, at most. Because he'll learn from that, and work on how to bowl at the right pace. As long as he still concentrates on spinning the ball.