• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Assist this visitor with their bowling and batting

bond21

Banned
Nothing wrong with the bowling action, I personally wouldnt recommend anyone changing their natural action unless they were doing something very wrong or it looked injury prone.

Notice how your follow through isnt very long? I would suggest running in a bit faster whilst maintaining good rhythm, as this will increase pace.

Nothing wrong with it at all, if you want to increase pace, just run in a bit faster, if you do you might have to adjust your run up

Bruce Wayne

Cricket Spectator
Thank you Bond. I take that as a compliment that you think there is nothing wrong with the action.

There are faults, however with my bowling arm before, during and after the leap. The fault is biomechanical. The bowling arm is going up and back which has impeded my momentum. The non-bowling arm is impressively high, but the shoulders are not aligned.

I am sure there are other chinks that I am hoping will be touched upon by some of the other experts on this forum. My gratitude will be immense.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with bond21 that the main problem (I'm sure that there are tiny ones which we all have) is the lack of momentum.

bond21

Banned
yea im not so sure about that.

A lot of bowlers do what you do with their bowling arm, they might not take it as high as you but most bowlers put the ball near their right shoulder when they "load up"

You really want to load up at least near your chin, because the downswing from there adds momentum to your rotation of the arm so to speak.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Your bowling is good as long as you don't want to bowl any faster.

Your batting technique is very good although that shot off the short length ball which you cut straight needs work. You played some faulty shots, but most of them were good.

It seems you have no fast bowlers to practice against, as it seems all the bowlers there are medium pacers.

You got so aggressive around the 4 minute mark.

Although good batting nonetheless.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The guys here are correct.

Before addressing anything else the major problem must be addressed.

That is the lack of momentum and speed in the run up and action.

There is no purpose to the runup. You could bowl the same off 1 step. The speed and aggression of the run-up must increase and the follow through will automatically increase as well.

The action looks good and it especially finishes very strongly.

As you suggest, there may be one or 2 things wrong with the biomechanics, but it isnt fundamentally flawed at all. There is no point making changes before increasing the speed and aggression of the runup and leap as this may natually lead small changes in the action itself.

Deal with the action once the run-up and leap has been sorted out

bond21

Banned
Yea, I noticed you posted this a while ago, but I have realised it too.

There is a huge difference from bowling off a 2 step run up and bowling off your full run up, it changes your action a fair bit.

I really think the run up is CRUCIAL to the bowling action, and yet it is the most neglected part of the process. Hell, I see people using other people's run ups, I see people guessing where to start their run ups, its unbelievable.

When I was a junior I had "the stutters" as I like to call them, my run up was not good, and I had to do small steps when I was running in so I didnt bowl a no ball and hit the crease properly.

What you want to do is get someone to help you, go to the popping crease, and do a run up, then bowl when it feels comfortable, and have the guy put a witches hat or something where your front foot lands, then go and do it again and again until you have it exactly right.

I had a lot of help from Ross Duncan, he played for QLD and Australia, he told me to take a few steps back from the mark for the run up, then jog in with small steps, and as soon as you hit the mark, go into full strides. This really does help momentum, its a lot better than what I used to do - walk a few steps back, walk onto the mark, THEN I started running.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I had really bad problems with my run up when I was younger. Sometimes I used to double step when I was bowling on my back foot. My dad got me out of that, now I am realising some of my potential.

bond21

Banned
I had really bad problems with my run up when I was younger. Sometimes I used to double step when I was bowling on my back foot. My dad got me out of that, now I am realising some of my potential.
yea thats a common problem for little kids, stuttering and skipping on the back foot, instead of jumping from the front foot into the delivery stride, it absolutely kills all momentum.

You have to get it out of a kid's action or else it becomes a habit that becomes harder to get rid of as he gets older, I know a guy whos about 20 who still does it.