• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Fast Bowler's Boots

Lightspeed

Cricket Spectator
I need some input. I'm a pace bowler and my big toe on left foot is way bigger in proportion to my other toes. Thus when I release deliveries at lightning speeds :) , my left foot takes a lot of pressure and slightly slides with my big toe crashing into the sole of my boots. It has caused me bruising and a lot of pain.

Recently I bought new Slazenger fast bowling shoes and still have the problem. I found this video of Shoaib talking about cutting his boots to ease the pain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siB9NiV_ygk

Any ideas on what would be the best way to cut it like that?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Use a stanley knife to cut a small part of the shoe, which the toe collides with, off.

Lightspeed

Cricket Spectator
Have any of you tried this?

I'm just concerned as I just bought these new shoes and don't want to mess up the foundation... in case I don't get the cut right.

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
no worries, its a two man operation, you put the boot on, force your foot right to the front, get your dad/mate whoever to press round the toe, then using a biro mark round the area near your big toe, only cut the front out, dont go too far over the top, or your sock will start to pop out!!!!!

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
no worries, its a two man operation, you put the boot on, force your foot right to the front, get your dad/mate whoever to press round the toe, then using a biro mark round the area near your big toe, only cut the front out, dont go too far over the top, or your sock will start to pop out!!!!!
Just remember to remove your foot from the shoe before you cut the hole :happy:

Does Kirk have the toe cut out in these shots?

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Just ask Langeveldt about loing a nail, his toe was bleeding all over the place at Edgbaston :mellow:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It can be done and has been done for years. However, despite pain, Ive never cut holes purely for financial reasons.

I always found the pain lessened after the toe nails came off the big toes. This would happen every season and life was easier then.

bond21

Banned
just cut your big toe nail as short as possible, 2 seasons ago it started happening to me and i had to get it removed, last season it went black but i kept it as short as possible and its still intact.

Its the nail pushing against the end of the shoe when you land from your jump, so if you keep it short enough it wont happen.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It can be done and has been done for years. However, despite pain, Ive never cut holes purely for financial reasons.

I always found the pain lessened after the toe nails came off the big toes. This would happen every season and life was easier then.
I'm the same. Lost a few toenails. I find using three band aids on each big toe and two on any others that are a problem acts as a buffer. Costs you a fortune in band aids though.