• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is It Right To Try And Copy ?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It depends what you have to work with to start with. If you were say, a front-on bowler trying to copy Matthew Hoggard, you're going to screw yourself over, but selective imitation of something that works can't be a bad thing. It would be handy to see a video of what you have at the moment and go from there.

Seeing as I can't help being nosey, whereabouts in Devon are you from, and who do you play for?

bond21

Banned
i duno, I tried copying Brett Lee, but I lost a slight bit of pace because I didnt have momentum that I usually do with the downswing.

Im now trying to get my action "tight" and it helps control the release of the ball. ie the exact opposite of Steve Harmison.

McGrath is a good example, his action is simple and "tight" and nothing can go wrong with that, unlike Harmison's.

bond21

Banned
one flaw with Jones' action is he bends his left arm instead of getting it high and pulling down.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm against trying to copy whole actions. Bowling's about what feels comfortable to your body, if you try and force it into an action that works well for a test bowler, eventually when you're fatigued after a few overs you'll revert back to what feels most comfortable to you anyway.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm against trying to copy whole actions. Bowling's about what feels comfortable to your body, if you try and force it into an action that works well for a test bowler, eventually when you're fatigued after a few overs you'll revert back to what feels most comfortable to you anyway.
Yes. This is a hundred percent true, your body will always eventually switch to what is natural, so look to make changes to your natural action.

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
Seeing as I can't help being nosey, whereabouts in Devon are you from, and who do you play for?
Woolacombe, don't know if you know it, near Barnstaple ?? anyway i used to play a bit for braunton.. havn't for a year or two just gettin myself back into the scene..

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
What people tend to do when copying actions is to copy the load up and nothing else. For example, with Brett Lee, someone will load up by their hip and think that they have it done. However, they ignore the 3/4 stump height and 1.5-2m long jump, the high front arm, the high front leg, the dragging of the backfoot to create a powerful hip drive, and so on...