Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I Bowl With My Head Down ?

Should I Bowl With My Head Down ?

When i bowl i dip my head after releasing the ball... like James Anderson does, is this a good idea ? or should i be keeping my head up like say.. Glen McGrath or Mathew Hoggard, i feel i can bowl quicker when i dip my head but should i do it ? Any feedback would be appreciated.

The best thing to do would be to watch the bowlers who put their head down in the action and those who don't and think which one would you rather become.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Simple answer is no. Its a terrible idea. Bowlers like batsmen need to try and keep their eyes level for as much of the time when possible. Sure there will be a moment when your head bobs down but if it is extended then its a real issue.

Causes a multitude of issues. Its not the same but to illustrate, stare at a dart board, then stare at the floor and throw. If anyone thinks they can be as accurate when they are not looking is fooling themselves and looking for a way to justify their own failure and weakness.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Simple answer is no. Its a terrible idea. Bowlers like batsmen need to try and keep their eyes level for as much of the time when possible. Sure there will be a moment when your head bobs down but if it is extended then its a real issue.
    Could it be argued that bringing the head down puts the entire weight into the downswing of the arm? I am not saying if or if I don't believe this, but it is certainly an interesting question.

Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Could it be argued that bringing the head down puts the entire weight into the downswing of the arm? I am not saying if or if I don't believe this, but it is certainly an interesting question.
    Yeah it could be but its a cheap way to get a little extra pace. Its fools gold. Any increase in pace (usually relatively small) is paid for by a huge trade off in all other areas.

Pulling the head down is used for easy pace when the bowler isnt bringing their hips through. Rather than the pace coming from hip and shoulder rotation it comes from dropping the head and torso. Its a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Yeah it could be but its a cheap way to get a little extra pace. Its fools gold. Any increase in pace (usually relatively small) is paid for by a huge trade off in all other areas.

Pulling the head down is used for easy pace when the bowler isnt bringing their hips through. Rather than the pace coming from hip and shoulder rotation it comes from dropping the head and torso. Its a bad thing.
    Fair enough and well argued

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Used to bowl with my head down, as it gave me the odd "miracle" delivery. As Goughy has said, there's just no substitute for accuracy.
    Jesus brings life eternal

remembering Phil 'The Prince' Hughes - we will always love you

Banned
    every bowler drops their head for a fraction of a second on delivery, its natural.

Anderson's is exaggarated though, but hes accurate enough.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Nah, no way. Reckon he's a feel bowler.

Cricket Spectator Jammy Dodgers's Avatar
    tell that to paul adams his head was behind his legs looking backwards to the umpire when he bowled

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy Dodgers View Post
    tell that to paul adams his head was behind his legs looking backwards to the umpire when he bowled
    Not exactly a model of accuracy, consistency or success. He is barely a club bowler anymore in South Africa.

a good question, for me if you look at the best bowlers the world has seen, and if you take quick bowling as a example, and further more we take dennis lilly for side on and curtley ambrose for front on, as ball is delivered very little head rotation as in dipping, side on obvo the head needs to drop to the back to allow bowling arm to be correct hieght and cuff rotation, chest on not the same prob as head isnt in the way of the delivery arm, i would 100% give up a wee bit of pace to ensure steady and still eyes for as long as possible, for me james anderson has a high maintanence action, he is a "freak" as in his head is cattapulted into his chest because of this high mainanence action and nothing i would encourage in a young bowler.

FBU
    Shaun Pollock bowled with his head down.

i know what you mean, but not in the same way anderson tucks his head in, at point of delivery pollock is probably looking where he wants the ball to go, whereas anderson is looking at his feet
    4 runs at richmond!!

IMO, It could be either side of the argument, it could like your bowling on hard, bouncy wicket. You could be going for a high bouncer, and he does a backfoot defence, this could result in the ball coming to you if the batsmen plays the shot badly. You could miss the catch.

But a little extra pace on a yorker couldn't hurt could it?
    C-X_Moss@hotmail.com

Winner of the Inzamam Award!

Unproud Member of Twenty20 is boring society

Xbox 360 Gamertag - Le Midge

Legspinner, and Right Hand Bat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information