• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting help

Mowgli

Cricket Spectator
Hi all,

My name is Amit and I need some help regarding about batting.

1) I've got poor footwork, it's good against spinners but against fast bowling it's all over the place.

2) I seem to be having trouble with balls pitched on a length or half volly outside offstump, I am in two minds when it comes to that, whether to play forward or back or what sort of shot should I play.

3) I've got poor hand-eye co ordination. I miss a lot of balls outside offstump.

4) I am poor when it comes to facing fast bowling.

Thanks in advance and all help very much appreciated.
Amit

bond21

Banned
if its on a good length, always come forward, if you go back and it hits you in front, you are almost certain to be given out because it looks bad when you go back to a full or good length ball.

A lot of people miss balls outside off stump, just practise them. Missing it altogether is better than nicking it.

Fast bowling is all mental, if you say to yourself "dont get out, this guy is good" then he will get you out 9 times out of 10. You have to say to yourself "this guy has to work to get me out, im not going to throw my wicket away."

Also getting hit with a cricket ball only hurts for about 5 seconds, depending where you get hit.

Ive been hit near the ribs in a match, after I missed a pull shot off their fastest bowler, I just laughed, even though it stung a bit, you dont want to let the bowler know he's hurt you because it fires them up more.

If you get all the padding, the only place you can get hit directly is the stomach or ribs, but that is very rare that it happens, and if you back away or something you are probably more likely to get hit because youre not focused on playing the ball.

Anyway fast bowling, look to come forward a lot unless hes bowling consistently short. Know that if you get hit, it wont hurt for long and getting hit is better than getting out.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hi all,

1) I've got poor footwork, it's good against spinners but against fast bowling it's all over the place.

2) I seem to be having trouble with balls pitched on a length or half volly outside offstump, I am in two minds when it comes to that, whether to play forward or back or what sort of shot should I play.

3) I've got poor hand-eye co ordination. I miss a lot of balls outside offstump.

Amit

Another important thing I think is to make sure you are watching the ball. It sounds stupid, but watch it right from the hand. Leave balls outside off stump early in your innings, play yourself in first by leaving them and making the bowler bowl to you. If your feet aren't moving well early in an innings going for a shot to a ball a foot or more outside off is suicide. Keep it simple, look at the field and work out where you can score, pick a couple of areas that suit your game (I think Bevan used to do this).

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Some players have a "go to" shot. For me, whenever I'm struggling, I bring out my "go to" shot to break the mould. Works well personally. :)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Almost. Obviously if it's really not on, you can't follow through with it, but it's basically a shot you know you have a very high percentage of pulling off. Believe Lehmann's was a slog sweep.

Mowgli

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for all your help guys, very much appreciated.

My main problem is missing balls outside off stump has I stated in my earlier post, be it full, volly, half volly, length, wide or even short I seem to miss it, for I'v got poor hand eye co-ordination. Its only 20 over cricket I play, so if I let balls go outside offstump it's a bonus for the bowler.

I'm a Dravid sort of player.I like balls coming close to me rather then outside off stump. I look to rotate the strike, look to pinch those quick singles, convert the 1s into 2s and 2s into 3s, I'm not much of a hitter, although I can turn it on when its needed. I can bowl a bit of off spin. I'm also a good feilder and a fit person. I would say I'm flexible and versatile. I normally bat at number 2-5.

My goal is to play for my 1st 11 team in the tournament in August, which is 5 months away. Prior to that, their is 8 matches in June and July.

I play for my local community cricket team and college team.

Right now I'm practicing in indoor nets facing about 30 balls each session on a one week basis, so its very essential that I practice the right away and don't mess around. I'm going to practice outdoor in late April.

Last edited:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Where do you take guard? Usually find i miss more attacking shots outside off if i'm on leg than middle.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Almost. Obviously if it's really not on, you can't follow through with it, but it's basically a shot you know you have a very high percentage of pulling off. Believe Lehmann's was a slog sweep.
Lehmann only had it against spinners. A shot that you can go to under pressure and know that you'll nail 9/10.

bond21

Banned
Yea im a bit like that, I can hit a ball a long way when im timing it well, but I dont time it well a lot of the time, so my gameplan is to defend, defend, defend, hit the bad balls, try and get singles and wait for the short one wide outside off, to which I play the cut shot, my bread and butter shot.

I know a guy in my team who has less chance to get out if hes swinging at nearly every ball, hes the filthiest hacker i have ever seen in my life, its unbelievable. I was umpiring at Square leg(only one official umpire in every match) and I was literally laughing out loud everytime he swung and missed it.

Anyway just know your strengths and weaknesses, and try to capitalize your strengths and minimise your weakness.

ie I have a tendancy to sometimes not get forward, and get bowled or LBW, so I consciously try and do a huge stride forward every ball, so im not caught at the crease.

Seriously, when you come forward all the way, youll be surprised at how much easier it is to defend than playing from the crease.

And seeing you play T20...that is difficult because i dont know what standard it is, and I have barely played that format, I play 80 overs a side, so you bat for max 80 overs.

Maybe play yourself in for 1 or 2 overs, then play your shots.

Mowgli

Cricket Spectator
Yea im a bit like that, I can hit a ball a long way when im timing it well, but I dont time it well a lot of the time, so my gameplan is to defend, defend, defend, hit the bad balls, try and get singles and wait for the short one wide outside off, to which I play the cut shot, my bread and butter shot.

I know a guy in my team who has less chance to get out if hes swinging at nearly every ball, hes the filthiest hacker i have ever seen in my life, its unbelievable. I was umpiring at Square leg(only one official umpire in every match) and I was literally laughing out loud everytime he swung and missed it.

Anyway just know your strengths and weaknesses, and try to capitalize your strengths and minimise your weakness.

ie I have a tendancy to sometimes not get forward, and get bowled or LBW, so I consciously try and do a huge stride forward every ball, so im not caught at the crease.

Seriously, when you come forward all the way, youll be surprised at how much easier it is to defend than playing from the crease.

And seeing you play T20...that is difficult because i dont know what standard it is, and I have barely played that format, I play 80 overs a side, so you bat for max 80 overs.

Maybe play yourself in for 1 or 2 overs, then play your shots.
Thanks.

The opponents standard of bowling is average.In my expierence they commonly tend to pitch it full on off, middle or just outside off, length outside offstump and bowl wide outside offstump. They normally field one quick bowler, 3 medium pacers, and 2 left arm spinners.

Last edited:

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hi all,

Amit
When u r struggling just step forward and start playing through the off side
First practice the cut shots to third man the u could start playin Square of the WKT