• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My [bad] Bowling Action Youtube Vid

MrDucksWorth

Cricket Spectator
From the limited info available from that clip, the action doesnt look too bad at all.
hehe your ment to say this and this is bad, and get me an extra 15 KM an hour :laugh: joke

But yeah I ment bad as in the video quality. I'll see if this guy wants to come out on a night and take some footage and I'll edit it all up (with a few run in's)

The thing I notice on the video, is my non bowling arm's position when my front foot plants (which its dipped down and with my shoulder) yet my bowling arm still has 90-70 degrees to power through.

It's kinda disappointing because I wanted to see dramatic faults :dry: because I'm probably only bowling 105-110 KM. I think i've got a pretty week core, so we'll see how the core strength training helps

*edit: that and my follow through looks to twist to the left a bit (can barely see it though).

*edit: oh and my left leg doesn't seem to 'pop' strait at the end there like I see a lot of bowlers

Last edited:

bond21

Banned
anyway could you post the full speed video, it might be easier to judge.

Your downswing looks like what Kyle Mills does, i cant explain it but he sort of twirls it around or something.

And the jump might be a bit high, hard to judge though without full speed to see if you lose momentum.

bond21

Banned
yea thats a good action, nothing wrong with it unless its mixed, which i cant tell from that angle.

just get someone to make sure your hips and shoulders point in the same direction at the load up.

And the jump isnt too high as far as i can tell, it doesnt look like you're losing momentum.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its a pretty loopy and long action.

Taking the ball above the head lengthens it and takes away snappy explosiveness. Though it can lead to gains in pace in other areas, especially if you are tall with long arms.

It is a long action and the longer something is with more complexity, the more things that can go wrong.

Its not a bad action at all though.

sideshowtim

Banned
You leap into your delivery stride from a very, very high position. I'd watch out, because placing weight on your ankles like that will probably give you an injury at some point. You'll probably break your ankle if your front foot slips from that high...

MrDucksWorth

Cricket Spectator
yea thats a good action, nothing wrong with it unless its mixed, which i cant tell from that angle.

just get someone to make sure your hips and shoulders point in the same direction at the load up.
It might be a little mixed. I think it was at some stage, but I think I've adjusted it (i'm getting my back foot kinda parallel to the crease now). I'm trying to be a side on bowler.

Is the load up the part where you bring your bowling arm up a bit just before you start the main arm rotation?

Its a pretty loopy and long action.

Taking the ball above the head lengthens it and takes away snappy explosiveness. Though it can lead to gains in pace in other areas, especially if you are tall with long arms.
You might be onto something. I looked at a couple of bret lee vids. On one he only brought the ball up to like waist height and the other shoulder height. By that vid I'm making it go over and past my head.

You leap into your delivery stride from a very, very high position. I'd watch out, because placing weight on your ankles like that will probably give you an injury at some point. You'll probably break your ankle if your front foot slips from that high...
Yeah I'm looking to make that jump a bit lower to the ground. My leg was a bit soar toward the end of that spell :laugh: (*edit: although I think it may have been my left that was soar ). Will be better even just for injury prevention.

bond21

Banned
yea look, Brett Lee does have a good action in all areas.

But I have tried his load up at hip area, and I found I lost a bit of pace because I wasnt whipping the arm around from my usual position. My bowling hand goes up to around my right ear during the load up and I find it gives me more momentum and more pace. Loading up at the hip felt too restricting.

And yea the load up or gather is where you position your body and the ball before you start the downswing. ie Brett Lee's is at his hip, Shane Bond's is behind his head etc.

And if you are side on, make sure you look through the window of your left arm. ie look over your left shoulder.

I am a midway bowler, so I am not side on and not front on, more at 45 degrees so I am looking inside the front arm, imagine parallel lines. and get someone to see where your shoulders and hips point. make sure theyre baically pointing in the same direction.

So if you're side on, your hips and shoulders should be facing down the pitch, if you're front on, they should be parallel to the crease.

And theres varying degrees of midway actions, the most common one is the parallel lines are facing the slips, so your hips and shoulders will be pointing towards the slips which is what mine do.

And on goughy's point, ive seen goughy's action and he rushes in unusually aggressively, at least from my experiences.

That doesnt work for a lot of people because it throws off rhythm, but it obviously works for him so everyones different.

I had a look at it again and noticed youre looking inside your front arm.

If your back foot is parallel to the crease, and you're looking inside the front arm, your spine is going to have a lot more stress put onto it.

bond21

Banned
just got back from training tonight, I tried the load up at the hip again, and was actually very consistent, with good pace.

It feels like it takes less energy everytime, so you can bowl for a little bit longer than normal. Its only a small difference, but instead of taking the ball up then bringing it down again, you just leave it down near the hip then bowl it.

So yea my previous statement about that was wrong, it feels more compact and I was bowling very consistently tonight, with the same pace.

bond21

Banned
yea like I said, it feels easier to do over and over again because theres less complexity with it, which means less things can go wrong as goughy said.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
just got back from training tonight, I tried the load up at the hip again, and was actually very consistent, with good pace.
Was reading Lillee's book last night and one message that a pictorial comparison between fast bowlers and medium bowlers (who try to bowl fast) showed was that the slower variety put there bowling arm in front of their body after the load up. I don't think the exact position (ie, right by the hip) is too important, but more ensuring that it does not go in front of the body after the load up.

Last edited:

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
I'm not an expert by any means... but i would never put both arms in the air at the same time if you know what i mean.. 0.08seconds on the slow motion video