Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My [bad] Bowling Action Youtube Vid

My [bad] Bowling Action Youtube Vid

It was taken with my phone just to see. I slowed it down so you could see as much as possible but it still isn't great. I'll probably talk to someone I know 2night that has a good camera and is into shooting / video editing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NOizBvJvPBo
    Your primary concern should be whether we get given justice in the next life. If so, I'd be in great trouble without Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDucksWorth View Post
    It was taken with my phone just to see. I slowed it down so you could see as much as possible but it still isn't great. I'll probably talk to someone I know 2night that has a good camera and is into shooting / video editing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NOizBvJvPBo
    From the limited info available from that clip, the action doesnt look too bad at all.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    From the limited info available from that clip, the action doesnt look too bad at all.
    hehe your ment to say this and this is bad, and get me an extra 15 KM an hour joke

But yeah I ment bad as in the video quality. I'll see if this guy wants to come out on a night and take some footage and I'll edit it all up (with a few run in's)

The thing I notice on the video, is my non bowling arm's position when my front foot plants (which its dipped down and with my shoulder) yet my bowling arm still has 90-70 degrees to power through.

It's kinda disappointing because I wanted to see dramatic faults because I'm probably only bowling 105-110 KM. I think i've got a pretty week core, so we'll see how the core strength training helps

*edit: that and my follow through looks to twist to the left a bit (can barely see it though).

*edit: oh and my left leg doesn't seem to 'pop' strait at the end there like I see a lot of bowlers
    Last edited by MrDucksWorth; 29-02-2008 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Banned
    nothing wrong with it.

Nice high action

I'm thinking my Jump might of been a bit high that time

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    lerooooooooooyyyyy jennnnnnnnkinssssss
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    lerooooooooooyyyyy jennnnnnnnkinssssss
    Sorry?

is that a Cricketer?

Banned
    anyway could you post the full speed video, it might be easier to judge.

Your downswing looks like what Kyle Mills does, i cant explain it but he sort of twirls it around or something.

And the jump might be a bit high, hard to judge though without full speed to see if you lose momentum.

yep I've uploaded a full speed. But I think it's still processing

Banned
    yea thats a good action, nothing wrong with it unless its mixed, which i cant tell from that angle.

just get someone to make sure your hips and shoulders point in the same direction at the load up.

And the jump isnt too high as far as i can tell, it doesnt look like you're losing momentum.

Its a pretty loopy and long action.

Taking the ball above the head lengthens it and takes away snappy explosiveness. Though it can lead to gains in pace in other areas, especially if you are tall with long arms.

It is a long action and the longer something is with more complexity, the more things that can go wrong.

Its not a bad action at all though.

You leap into your delivery stride from a very, very high position. I'd watch out, because placing weight on your ankles like that will probably give you an injury at some point. You'll probably break your ankle if your front foot slips from that high...

Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    yea thats a good action, nothing wrong with it unless its mixed, which i cant tell from that angle.

just get someone to make sure your hips and shoulders point in the same direction at the load up.
    It might be a little mixed. I think it was at some stage, but I think I've adjusted it (i'm getting my back foot kinda parallel to the crease now). I'm trying to be a side on bowler.

Is the load up the part where you bring your bowling arm up a bit just before you start the main arm rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Its a pretty loopy and long action.

Taking the ball above the head lengthens it and takes away snappy explosiveness. Though it can lead to gains in pace in other areas, especially if you are tall with long arms.
    You might be onto something. I looked at a couple of bret lee vids. On one he only brought the ball up to like waist height and the other shoulder height. By that vid I'm making it go over and past my head.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    You leap into your delivery stride from a very, very high position. I'd watch out, because placing weight on your ankles like that will probably give you an injury at some point. You'll probably break your ankle if your front foot slips from that high...
    Yeah I'm looking to make that jump a bit lower to the ground. My leg was a bit soar toward the end of that spell (*edit: although I think it may have been my left that was soar ). Will be better even just for injury prevention.

Banned
    yea look, Brett Lee does have a good action in all areas.

But I have tried his load up at hip area, and I found I lost a bit of pace because I wasnt whipping the arm around from my usual position. My bowling hand goes up to around my right ear during the load up and I find it gives me more momentum and more pace. Loading up at the hip felt too restricting.

And yea the load up or gather is where you position your body and the ball before you start the downswing. ie Brett Lee's is at his hip, Shane Bond's is behind his head etc.

And if you are side on, make sure you look through the window of your left arm. ie look over your left shoulder.

I am a midway bowler, so I am not side on and not front on, more at 45 degrees so I am looking inside the front arm, imagine parallel lines. and get someone to see where your shoulders and hips point. make sure theyre baically pointing in the same direction.

So if you're side on, your hips and shoulders should be facing down the pitch, if you're front on, they should be parallel to the crease.

And theres varying degrees of midway actions, the most common one is the parallel lines are facing the slips, so your hips and shoulders will be pointing towards the slips which is what mine do.

And on goughy's point, ive seen goughy's action and he rushes in unusually aggressively, at least from my experiences.

That doesnt work for a lot of people because it throws off rhythm, but it obviously works for him so everyones different.

I had a look at it again and noticed youre looking inside your front arm.

If your back foot is parallel to the crease, and you're looking inside the front arm, your spine is going to have a lot more stress put onto it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information