Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My [bad] Bowling Action Youtube Vid

State 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    I'm clumsy, so I didn't take the cover , but it is called "The Art of Fast Bowling". How did you find the book? I found it quite interesting.
    Haven't looked at it in a while, and I don't think I read the whole thing, but what I do remember is that what it basically amounted to was: "NO, YOU CAN'T BE A FAST BOWLER. GO AWAY". Well that was what I got out of it, anyway.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Was reading Lillee's book last night and one message that a pictorial comparison between fast bowlers and medium bowlers (who try to bowl fast) showed was that the slower variety put there bowling arm in front of their body after the load up. I don't think the exact position (ie, right by the hip) is too important, but more ensuring that it does not go in front of the body after the load up.
    yo manee lillee is absolutely wrong on that point, unless im misunderstanding what youre saying.

99% of bowlers have to bring the ball down in front of the body during the downswing, its natural.

also heres a vid of shane bond in action - http://youtube.com/watch?v=buqjyjQfuCc

as you can see, He has a whippy action and certainly has the ball in front of his body during his downswing, as do most of the other bowlers i mentioned - McGrath, Donald, Steyn etc.

Only ones that dont that I can name are Edwards, Lee, Tait and Akhtar and Malinga, 5 out of god knows how many bowlers.

And concerning the speed, Lillee is wrong, again because Shane Bond can bowl 150km/h+.

Bond's arm is basically fully extended in front of his body during his downswing, so that proves Lillee wrong basically.
    Last edited by bond21; 06-04-2008 at 01:02 AM.

Lol, it doesn't prove him 'wrong'. It was merely a pictoral comparison between a fast and slow bowler with several stages through the action and I saw a difference.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Isolator View Post
    Haven't looked at it in a while, and I don't think I read the whole thing, but what I do remember is that what it basically amounted to was: "NO, YOU CAN'T BE A FAST BOWLER. GO AWAY". Well that was what I got out of it, anyway.
    Its the 1980s mentality - it is evident from the changes in bowlers that despite the amount of 145-160kph bowlers remaining the same - there are more 140kph bowlers through improved coaching and fitness.

Banned
    well thats up for debate, if he says all fast bowlers never have the ball in front of them, then yea hes wrong.

I dont really understand what hes saying because nearly every single bowler gets the ball in front of them for the downswing, you cant avoid it unless you purposely bowl like Malinga or Tait or someone.

Banned
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=loYyJllsj68

Theres Holding bowling, his arm goes in front of his body during the downswing like I said.

Are you sure this is what Lillee is talking about? You didnt misread it or anything?

Anyway Isolator if you can scan the pages with the article on it that would be awesome.

I don't know how many times I can say it, he didn't say it, it was just a pictoral comparison in which I noted a difference. On the topic of the subject, although it is not always possible for bowlers to avoid bringing the ball in front of them, I believe that bowlers should look to minimise the amount of time which it is infront of them as it brings the weight forward too early in the action which prevents an effective coiling of the action from leant back to bowling over the front leg at a straight position.
    Last edited by Manee; 06-04-2008 at 02:33 PM.

State 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    Anyway Isolator if you can scan the pages with the article on it that would be awesome.
    Yeah, I don't have immediate access to a scanner, but I'll get it done in a few days.

State 12th Man
    Finally did the scans... not very well but it should do.

full size: http://www.files2net.com/files/143716744/aofb.zip

these are the right ones, right?

Banned
    I dont know what hes going on about.

#1 the diagrams are confusing...why does he think the 1st picture for group 2 is his back foot landing? He is clearly in mid air....

State 12th Man
    Yeah, and besides, who the hell bowls in their undies?

Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    I dont know what hes going on about.

#1 the diagrams are confusing...why does he think the 1st picture for group 2 is his back foot landing? He is clearly in mid air....
    You're right, Lillee doesn't have a clue about fast bowling coaching.

Banned
    well whatever he cannot make clear diagrams...

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    To me it looks like you're slower through the crease than you are approaching it. Accelerating through the crease is good in my opinion. By this I don't mean running in like a maniac though.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    To me it looks like you're slower through the crease than you are approaching it. Accelerating through the crease is good in my opinion. By this I don't mean running in like a maniac though.
    Good tip. I have started working on this. I have realised that the key is the combination between a high jump and one that takes you far.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information