Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My [bad] Bowling Action Youtube Vid

Banned
    just got back from training tonight, I tried the load up at the hip again, and was actually very consistent, with good pace.

It feels like it takes less energy everytime, so you can bowl for a little bit longer than normal. Its only a small difference, but instead of taking the ball up then bringing it down again, you just leave it down near the hip then bowl it.

So yea my previous statement about that was wrong, it feels more compact and I was bowling very consistently tonight, with the same pace.

Yeah I haven't given it a go yet. Been meaning to, but haven't gone out yet.
    Your primary concern should be whether we get given justice in the next life. If so, I'd be in great trouble without Jesus.

Banned
    yea like I said, it feels easier to do over and over again because theres less complexity with it, which means less things can go wrong as goughy said.

Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    just got back from training tonight, I tried the load up at the hip again, and was actually very consistent, with good pace.
    Was reading Lillee's book last night and one message that a pictorial comparison between fast bowlers and medium bowlers (who try to bowl fast) showed was that the slower variety put there bowling arm in front of their body after the load up. I don't think the exact position (ie, right by the hip) is too important, but more ensuring that it does not go in front of the body after the load up.
    Last edited by Manee; 05-03-2008 at 10:58 AM.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

I'm not an expert by any means... but i would never put both arms in the air at the same time if you know what i mean.. 0.08seconds on the slow motion video

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Was reading Lillee's book last night and one message that a pictorial comparison between fast bowlers and medium bowlers (who try to bowl fast) showed was that the slower variety put there bowling arm in front of their body after the load up. I don't think the exact position (ie, right by the hip) is too important, but more ensuring that it does not go in front of the body after the load up.
    I think Kyle Mills does that, his bowling arm goes through a longer motion than someone like Lee's does.

State 12th Man
    Doesn't always hold true, my bowling arm moves very little (catapult-type action), and I'm slow as hell. Another question I had, how come most catapulty/slingy bowlers one comes across are fairly quick? Me excluded, obviously.

Banned
    yea i dont agree with that also.

Going on what manee said, Lillee isnt right.

examples - Jason Gillespie, Allan Donald Shane Bond, Richard Hadlee, all of those bowlers get the ball in front of them before they bowl it, and they were all quick.

I cant agree with him when i havent seen the pictures, because theres not enough info.

I also dont know 100% what hes talking about, because 99% of bowlers load up in front of their body, the few that dont are Shoaib, Tait, Malinga and Edwards.

Someone like Shane Bond has a whippy action, he loads up way behind his head, pretty high and whips it around quickly, and the ball is definately in front of his body during the downswing.

Manee you couldnt scan or upload the pics and article or anything i suppose?

I cant get any of these books cause the book stores in my city are hopeless for sports.

Banned
    IMO youre loading up too high. Try bring the ball to your chin instead of over your shoulder, as this keeps it tighter and gives you more control.

Manee you couldnt scan or upload the pics and article or anything i suppose?
    No, sorry. It is my cousin's book and he took it back. There was no writing on that particular bit though, it was just a picture comparison between one member of a group who are fast with a member of another group who tries to bowl fast.

I will be surprised if the bowlers you mentioned do bring their bowling arm in front of them when they bowl. Many bowlers who appear like they might, show (in slow motion) to bring the arm straight down to the hip after the initial load up.

I cant get any of these books cause the book stores in my city are hopeless for sports.
    And it has gone out of print.

State 12th Man
    I think I have this one, it's "The Art of Fast Bowling" or something, right? The red book? I'll see if I can get scans.

Quote Originally Posted by Isolator View Post
    I think I have this one, it's "The Art of Fast Bowling" or something, right? The red book? I'll see if I can get scans.
    I'm clumsy, so I didn't take the cover , but it is called "The Art of Fast Bowling". How did you find the book? I found it quite interesting.

International Regular DCC_legend's Avatar
    Amazon or eBay would be a good bet if you were looking for it.
    Where's my money?

Quote Originally Posted by DCC_legend View Post
    Amazon or eBay would be a good bet if you were looking for it.
    By 'find', I meant good or bad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Isolator View Post
    that would be great if you could, id love to see it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information