• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My [bad] Bowling Action Youtube Vid

bond21

Banned
Was reading Lillee's book last night and one message that a pictorial comparison between fast bowlers and medium bowlers (who try to bowl fast) showed was that the slower variety put there bowling arm in front of their body after the load up. I don't think the exact position (ie, right by the hip) is too important, but more ensuring that it does not go in front of the body after the load up.
I think Kyle Mills does that, his bowling arm goes through a longer motion than someone like Lee's does.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Doesn't always hold true, my bowling arm moves very little (catapult-type action), and I'm slow as hell. Another question I had, how come most catapulty/slingy bowlers one comes across are fairly quick? Me excluded, obviously.

bond21

Banned
yea i dont agree with that also.

Going on what manee said, Lillee isnt right.

examples - Jason Gillespie, Allan Donald Shane Bond, Richard Hadlee, all of those bowlers get the ball in front of them before they bowl it, and they were all quick.

I cant agree with him when i havent seen the pictures, because theres not enough info.

I also dont know 100% what hes talking about, because 99% of bowlers load up in front of their body, the few that dont are Shoaib, Tait, Malinga and Edwards.

Someone like Shane Bond has a whippy action, he loads up way behind his head, pretty high and whips it around quickly, and the ball is definately in front of his body during the downswing.

Manee you couldnt scan or upload the pics and article or anything i suppose?

I cant get any of these books cause the book stores in my city are hopeless for sports.

bond21

Banned
IMO youre loading up too high. Try bring the ball to your chin instead of over your shoulder, as this keeps it tighter and gives you more control.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Manee you couldnt scan or upload the pics and article or anything i suppose?
No, sorry. It is my cousin's book and he took it back. There was no writing on that particular bit though, it was just a picture comparison between one member of a group who are fast with a member of another group who tries to bowl fast.

I will be surprised if the bowlers you mentioned do bring their bowling arm in front of them when they bowl. Many bowlers who appear like they might, show (in slow motion) to bring the arm straight down to the hip after the initial load up.

I cant get any of these books cause the book stores in my city are hopeless for sports.
And it has gone out of print.

Isolator

State 12th Man
I think I have this one, it's "The Art of Fast Bowling" or something, right? The red book? I'll see if I can get scans.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I think I have this one, it's "The Art of Fast Bowling" or something, right? The red book? I'll see if I can get scans.
I'm clumsy, so I didn't take the cover:laugh: , but it is called "The Art of Fast Bowling". How did you find the book? I found it quite interesting.

Isolator

State 12th Man
I'm clumsy, so I didn't take the cover:laugh: , but it is called "The Art of Fast Bowling". How did you find the book? I found it quite interesting.
Haven't looked at it in a while, and I don't think I read the whole thing, but what I do remember is that what it basically amounted to was: "NO, YOU CAN'T BE A FAST BOWLER. GO AWAY". Well that was what I got out of it, anyway.

bond21

Banned
Was reading Lillee's book last night and one message that a pictorial comparison between fast bowlers and medium bowlers (who try to bowl fast) showed was that the slower variety put there bowling arm in front of their body after the load up. I don't think the exact position (ie, right by the hip) is too important, but more ensuring that it does not go in front of the body after the load up.
yo manee lillee is absolutely wrong on that point, unless im misunderstanding what youre saying.

99% of bowlers have to bring the ball down in front of the body during the downswing, its natural.

also heres a vid of shane bond in action - http://youtube.com/watch?v=buqjyjQfuCc

as you can see, He has a whippy action and certainly has the ball in front of his body during his downswing, as do most of the other bowlers i mentioned - McGrath, Donald, Steyn etc.

Only ones that dont that I can name are Edwards, Lee, Tait and Akhtar and Malinga, 5 out of god knows how many bowlers.

And concerning the speed, Lillee is wrong, again because Shane Bond can bowl 150km/h+.

Bond's arm is basically fully extended in front of his body during his downswing, so that proves Lillee wrong basically.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol, it doesn't prove him 'wrong'. It was merely a pictoral comparison between a fast and slow bowler with several stages through the action and I saw a difference.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Haven't looked at it in a while, and I don't think I read the whole thing, but what I do remember is that what it basically amounted to was: "NO, YOU CAN'T BE A FAST BOWLER. GO AWAY". Well that was what I got out of it, anyway.
Its the 1980s mentality - it is evident from the changes in bowlers that despite the amount of 145-160kph bowlers remaining the same - there are more 140kph bowlers through improved coaching and fitness.

bond21

Banned
well thats up for debate, if he says all fast bowlers never have the ball in front of them, then yea hes wrong.

I dont really understand what hes saying because nearly every single bowler gets the ball in front of them for the downswing, you cant avoid it unless you purposely bowl like Malinga or Tait or someone.

bond21

Banned
http://youtube.com/watch?v=loYyJllsj68

Theres Holding bowling, his arm goes in front of his body during the downswing like I said.

Are you sure this is what Lillee is talking about? You didnt misread it or anything?

Anyway Isolator if you can scan the pages with the article on it that would be awesome.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know how many times I can say it, he didn't say it, it was just a pictoral comparison in which I noted a difference. On the topic of the subject, although it is not always possible for bowlers to avoid bringing the ball in front of them, I believe that bowlers should look to minimise the amount of time which it is infront of them as it brings the weight forward too early in the action which prevents an effective coiling of the action from leant back to bowling over the front leg at a straight position.

Last edited:

bond21

Banned
I dont know what hes going on about.

#1 the diagrams are confusing...why does he think the 1st picture for group 2 is his back foot landing? He is clearly in mid air....