• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need Help? Send Us Clips

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
CricketWeb Coaching is looking for videos of players that need help with a certain aspect of their game.

Please email videos of the footage to James and he'll handle the sizing, etc of them.

If chosen the video may be used in a possible future section.

This is a chance to get great coaching advice based on your own personal game.

We look forward to seeing the clips of you playing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don

State Vice-Captain
do yall want footage of a match or like in the nets. which is preferred

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
Hi Guys

i am from england, i am the old ecb level 2 coach, the new one seems a bit of a doddle compared to what we had to do, been coaching for 11 years now, this is a great forum.
kind regards terry

bond21

Banned
thats funny, in Australia ive asked lvl 2 coaches and they said it was a lot easier to get 10 or 20 years ago.

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
level 2 ecb

Hi there,
i see when i did my level 2 coaching, we had video anylasis exam, batting and bowling, you had to demonstrate leg spin, off spin, in swing, away swing and make the ball at least offer to spin or swing. ie seam position in flight, you got 2 goes if ****ed up failed!!! batting front font and back foot defensive and aggressive strokes, wicket keeping take down the legside and orthodox take, a 10 minute net session, bowling and batting, fielding, 3 disciplines infield and outfield, plus if you wanted to go onto level 3 then you had to score more than 3 out of 5 in each discipline!!!
plus another written exam on bio mechanics and sports science, plus a child welfare exam, and a first aid course.
needless to say the pass rate was at about 70%, now its a doddle ( i know my son has just done it )
cheers terry

bond21

Banned
wow ok that sounds much harder.

ECB possibly have different parameters than Qld Cricket which is the one Im actually using to get the certs.

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
i think the changes in the format of the level 2 is to try and accomodate school teachers, you see in england you cannot coach a net session with a hard ball unless you are level 2 or higher, thus the old level 2 was brought about before these new safety regs, its market was based on good quality cricketers ie good club/county players who want to go into coaching as a proffessian after their playing careers.
whereas now (for the better by the way) you do a small amount of the old stuff to get level 2 acredatation, and then you can progress onto level 3 by doing 5 modules on some of the good stuff i mentioned in the earlier thread.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
i think the changes in the format of the level 2 is to try and accomodate school teachers, you see in england you cannot coach a net session with a hard ball unless you are level 2 or higher, thus the old level 2 was brought about before these new safety regs, its market was based on good quality cricketers ie good club/county players who want to go into coaching as a proffessian after their playing careers.
whereas now (for the better by the way) you do a small amount of the old stuff to get level 2 acredatation, and then you can progress onto level 3 by doing 5 modules on some of the good stuff i mentioned in the earlier thread.
Too right about the old Level 2 being infinitely harder! Spent the best part of my first year at Uni teaching myself how to bowl inswing in order to pass it - anyone can get through the UKCC2... and as for the UKCC1... well, if anyone ever fails that... (actually, people do, but it's because their paperwork's not in order).

Progression to UKCC3 is a little more complex than you suggest, too - two people at my club has just passed it following a year of work and a bucketload of paperwork: the "workshops", to my understanding, are just a 'bridge' rather than a way of reaching the qualification.

Also, I'm pretty sure (read certain) you don't need a UKCC2 in order to take a net session. Who's told you that?

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
Hi Niel,
not so much the net session, but certainly with a hard ball, you need ecb level 2 to coach with a hard ball, yes you are right about the level 3 thats what i meant the 5 modules just get you too the door

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Again, pretty certain that's not the case - I know at prep school level we play hardball across the board from U10 upwards: and most schools have more pitches, never mind nets, than L2 coaches...

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
yes you possibly did, that doesnt mean that it was right and bearing in mind these regs are only about 8 years old, and if you go into the ecb guidelines and regs, it states the forementioned about hard ball training, it is now a litigation nightmare, all stems from about 8 years ago a kid 12 years old took one in the mush fielding, the school was succesfully prosecuted for not having the correct coaching staff in place.
hence now in state schools most cricket training is done extra cariculum, and under the new umbrella of a chance to shine, it seems easier to train the level 2 coaches to coaching in schools cerificate than the other way round

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
yes you possibly did, that doesnt mean that it was right and bearing in mind these regs are only about 8 years old, and if you go into the ecb guidelines and regs, it states the forementioned about hard ball training, it is now a litigation nightmare, all stems from about 8 years ago a kid 12 years old took one in the mush fielding, the school was succesfully prosecuted for not having the correct coaching staff in place.
hence now in state schools most cricket training is done extra cariculum, and under the new umbrella of a chance to shine, it seems easier to train the level 2 coaches to coaching in schools cerificate than the other way round
That's speaking present tense - as a prep school teacher, county age group manager and club welfare officer I'm not aware that the rule exists, and that worries me!

I'd be really interested to find written guidelines to that effect.

EDIT: This is the page from the ECB documentation on supervision. Not once does that mention requirement of a UKCC2.

Last edited:

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
hi niel,
if its not there, it would be an idea to contact the ecb and ask the pertenant question my friend.
regards terry

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd say the runup was too short to bowl out and out pace (if that's what you're going for), looked a couple of steps shorter than mine with about the same effort i run in with and i'm not really all that quick, although you do have a more explosive action that i do which might make up for that.