• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need Help? Send Us Clips

sanju84

Cricket Spectator
Hello Folks,
I stumbled upon this awesome thread in search for any corrective analysis. Is this still on?
I am 31 year old and people have told me, from my younger days that I am quick, not the fastest i have seen but decent pace, i reckon. Now as I grow older, some have suggested to slow down a bit or maybe bowl two steps. I really do not want to do any of that. My run up of 18 steps feel very comfortable to me and so does the pace, if anything i can add some pace. Besides some strength issues, which i will be working off season (our season just ended).
The reason i am here is because in the last few years i have noticed my deliveries drifting down the leg a bit too much and my follow through getting messy. This year was particularly bad as i kept hurling down the leg towards the end of the season. It would be really great if i can get some analysis on my bowling action and some tips to get more control. I am planning to do some target practice but any more suggestions, thoughts are highly welcome.

https://youtu.be/9rb3fKptK00

Thanks

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
There are some really good posters here who can give you some good advice, but till they come around I'll chip in what I can.

Your delivery arm is falling to the left. You could be releasing the ball with the arm closer to your ear. What you are doing now is running in, loading up, and then falling way at the point of delivery. This seems to be throwing off your followthrough too. You're probably generating most of your pace through your shoulder this way as well - do you feel your arm hurting?

Maybe as you deliver, focus on trying to be more upright, and having your bowling arm come down closer to your head. Be less round-arm. Might help the accuracy.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hello Folks,
I stumbled upon this awesome thread in search for any corrective analysis. Is this still on?
I am 31 year old and people have told me, from my younger days that I am quick, not the fastest i have seen but decent pace, i reckon. Now as I grow older, some have suggested to slow down a bit or maybe bowl two steps. I really do not want to do any of that. My run up of 18 steps feel very comfortable to me and so does the pace, if anything i can add some pace. Besides some strength issues, which i will be working off season (our season just ended).
The reason i am here is because in the last few years i have noticed my deliveries drifting down the leg a bit too much and my follow through getting messy. This year was particularly bad as i kept hurling down the leg towards the end of the season. It would be really great if i can get some analysis on my bowling action and some tips to get more control. I am planning to do some target practice but any more suggestions, thoughts are highly welcome.

https://youtu.be/9rb3fKptK00

Thanks
I quite like your action but I have my suspicions about your problems though I cannot tell 100% given the angle.

The good thing is it just one issue, the tough thing is fixing it.

Quite simply you are closing your lower body off with your foot placement which means you have to come all around your front leg. This leads to the strange skip you have in your follow through. The lack of accuracy is a symptom. You are like a golfer who has his feet lined up away from the pin and your upper body is attempting to compensate.

Given you action, as your feet land, your left foot should stay to the left of your right foot. From the below, it looks like your left foot fractionionally crosses the line of the right foot which is pushing your natural line to leg and your body is working overtime to compensate.

footwork.png

Hope that helps. Otherwise it looks good.

Last edited:

sanju84

Cricket Spectator
I quite like your action but I have my suspicions about your problems though I cannot tell 100% given the angle.

The good thing is it just one issue, the tough thing is fixing it.

Quite simply you are closing your lower body off with your foot placement which means you have to come all around your front leg. This leads to the strange skip you have in your follow through. The lack of accuracy is a symptom. You are like a golfer who has his feet lined up away from the pin and your upper body is attempting to compensate.

Given you action, as your feet land, your left foot should stay to the left of your right foot. From the below, it looks like your left foot fractionionally crosses the line of the right foot which is pushing your natural line to leg and your body is working overtime to compensate.

View attachment 22340

Hope that helps. Otherwise it looks good.
Thank you for an excellent analysis. I knew i was asking questions at the right place :)
You are right, in that fixing it might be a tough thing but i am going to have to work it out. The improper footwork now explains so much, with regards to bad followup, accuracy and lower back pain. Any more suggestions are highly welcome and I am going to incorporate this in my off season training.
On a side note, how much would the posters here recommend the Fast Bowler's Bible by Ian Pont or anything better. So long as the season starts and regular nets i fancy reading something wont hurt.
Thanks

sanju84

Cricket Spectator
There are some really good posters here who can give you some good advice, but till they come around I'll chip in what I can.

Your delivery arm is falling to the left. You could be releasing the ball with the arm closer to your ear. What you are doing now is running in, loading up, and then falling way at the point of delivery. This seems to be throwing off your followthrough too. You're probably generating most of your pace through your shoulder this way as well - do you feel your arm hurting?

Maybe as you deliver, focus on trying to be more upright, and having your bowling arm come down closer to your head. Be less round-arm. Might help the accuracy.
Thanks for your input. My arms do not hurt but i do get the point from your analysis.Going a bit round arm may be adding to the inaccuracy combined with the lower body misplacement Goughy pointed out. I am going to focus more on lower body alignment for now and take one step at a time.
Thanks again for your input.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Hey guys, almost a year ago from today, I posted a clip in this forum asking for help on my bowling action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJlr3YqsYv4

I was told to fix my double hop and I'm been looking for a proper drill to fix that issue ever since. Recently, I've found one that I have confidence in that it will fix my double hop problem.

https://mycricketcoach.com/ask-ben/double-hop/

But here is the interesting situation/dilemma that video has presented to me. You see, I naturally bowl right handed and throw better and accurately with my right arm while fielding. But I do most things with my left hand/arm. I've always slightly been more of a leftie than a right hander in general, excluding cricket. (writing, holding objects etc) The only thing in cricket where I do anything left-handed is that I bat as a leftie.

That double hop correction video has given me a new scenario to think of....whenever I've held the ball in my left hand and just threw it in a stand-still bowling action in front of the mirror, it never felt awkward or un-natural. (I've never actually tried running with a full run-up as leftie though) The double hop correction video is basically a foot coordination and alignment drill which I feel like I could maybe use to bowl left handed! I've always wanted to be a left arm bowler all my life but have been too scared to try left arm because I feel that maybe I'm going against my natural game in being a right arm bowler.

So what do you guys think? Should I give my left arm bowling a chance with that drill in the double hop video or should I just focus on fixing my double hop as a right arm and going on with that?

I feel like I'm really stuck on a 50/50 path here and really need some clarity. Thanks for reading this and I appreciate any feedback!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hey guys, almost a year ago from today, I posted a clip in this forum asking for help on my bowling action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJlr3YqsYv4

I was told to fix my double hop and I'm been looking for a proper drill to fix that issue ever since. Recently, I've found one that I have confidence in that it will fix my double hop problem.

https://mycricketcoach.com/ask-ben/double-hop/

But here is the interesting situation/dilemma that video has presented to me. You see, I naturally bowl right handed and throw better and accurately with my right arm while fielding. But I do most things with my left hand/arm. I've always slightly been more of a leftie than a right hander in general, excluding cricket. (writing, holding objects etc) The only thing in cricket where I do anything left-handed is that I bat as a leftie.

That double hop correction video has given me a new scenario to think of....whenever I've held the ball in my left hand and just threw it in a stand-still bowling action in front of the mirror, it never felt awkward or un-natural. (I've never actually tried running with a full run-up as leftie though) The double hop correction video is basically a foot coordination and alignment drill which I feel like I could maybe use to bowl left handed! I've always wanted to be a left arm bowler all my life but have been too scared to try left arm because I feel that maybe I'm going against my natural game in being a right arm bowler.

So what do you guys think? Should I give my left arm bowling a chance with that drill in the double hop video or should I just focus on fixing my double hop as a right arm and going on with that?

I feel like I'm really stuck on a 50/50 path here and really need some clarity. Thanks for reading this and I appreciate any feedback!
Feel the force young SkyWalker let it flow through you and guide you.

That is my quite serious answer. Give both a whirl in the nets and give both a try. You have nothing to lose but your dignity if you bowl a wide.

Then feel which one worked out better. I think you will find you get more power with your right hand but have less control.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well its really really dark.

But from what I could see it looks better than my memory of what your right hand looks like. Your feet looked a bit uncertain beneath you but I expect that will come in time.

With your speed, you will never be as quick as your idol Trent, you will need to swing it. See if you can teach yourself how.

The general gist of it is, as well as all the usual crap about the shiny side, is to use a more round arm motion when you want to bowl a swinging delivery and come through at about 10:30 as opposed to 12 oclock.

I hope that makes sense.

tl'dr version - good progress keep up the good work :)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
By the way the reason why I said "the crap about the shiny side"
Is that once you can really swing it then you should be able to swing any piece of crap, even a ball 120 overs old. Me and my team mates bowl with all manner of old balls. Certainly the newer ones swing more but you should still be able to get the crappy ones to go as well.

My theory on swing is that is the angle of the seam into the air resistance and that the shiny side business is overly hyped. For example I can get a new ball to swing where both sides are shiny,

thundaboult

International Debutant
Thanks for your consistent help Cane!

Referring back to your remark on more power with the right but less control, it definitely feels that way now since I've tried out the leftie action. With the right I feel like I can blast the ball harder and hit the deck harder, and bowl at an uncomfortable pace for the batsman. With the left, even though its just a discovery of a few days, it feels that I could be more accurate with it, but less power and pace.

In regards to swing, too early to tell with the left arm action but I'll definitely try the tips you've suggested and see what happens. With the right arm, I do get late tailing in-swing into the right handed batter when I get it right.

Also, I feel like I could be a lot quicker through the air and off the pitch but I gotta admit, I'm in the worst shape of my life, and am carrying too much weight on my frame. I'm pretty sure some fitness work over the year and the eventual rythm/biomech adjusting of the bowling action will help me significantly. Time and hard work will tell, if you've got any other suggestions, do let me know, you're the only one who's really paying attention to whatever I'm posting on this site lol.Thanks again man!

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for your consistent help Cane!

Referring back to your remark on more power with the right but less control, it definitely feels that way now since I've tried out the leftie action. With the right I feel like I can blast the ball harder and hit the deck harder, and bowl at an uncomfortable pace for the batsman. With the left, even though its just a discovery of a few days, it feels that I could be more accurate with it, but less power and pace.

In regards to swing, too early to tell with the left arm action but I'll definitely try the tips you've suggested and see what happens. With the right arm, I do get late tailing in-swing into the right handed batter when I get it right.

Also, I feel like I could be a lot quicker through the air and off the pitch but I gotta admit, I'm in the worst shape of my life, and am carrying too much weight on my frame. I'm pretty sure some fitness work over the year and the eventual rythm/biomech adjusting of the bowling action will help me significantly. Time and hard work will tell, if you've got any other suggestions, do let me know, you're the only one who's really paying attention to whatever I'm posting on this site lol.Thanks again man!
My friend in high school had a hard time deciding whether to bat left handed or right handed. He could hit it very hard right handed but was less coordinated and would get clean bowled often. I predicted what would happen to you based on his example.

Personally I think control is more important than power - but your bowlng has to be "quick enough" or you will get thrashed around. Try to work on your wrist snap a lot. If you watch the international bowlers or even club bowlers I would say they get an extra 5-10 kph through snapping their wrist. That may help your left handed bowling pick up some pace. Also when you are more certain about your footwork through the delivery stride you will get faster as well.

For now I see nothing wrong with working on both your right handed bowling and left handed bowling until you make your mind up.

The next test will be bowling to a batsman and getting some feedback from him on what was harder to face,

BTW I am sure others are following this thread. They are probably just lurking.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks again for replying Cane, any acknowledgement is a huge confidence-builder for me right now!
You bascially need to find a mate and get a lot of overs under your belt. Bowling medium pace is a bit of a bitch to practice as you can't really just bowl ball after ball or you will get tuckered out. So ideally you will be able to find 3-4 chaps to practice with.

thundaboult

International Debutant
True, but being in Canada, there's never enough mates who share the same preference in cricket like myself haha. This summer I am I joining an academy though, so that shouldn't be a issue for too long. But damn do I wish I was in England or New Zealand instead...:@

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
True, but being in Canada, there's never enough mates who share the same preference in cricket like myself haha. This summer I am I joining an academy though, so that shouldn't be a issue for too long. But damn do I wish I was in England or New Zealand instead...:@
What city are you in? I played in Vancouver which had a premier division and 5 grades beneath it. Some 60 teams altogether,

thundaboult

International Debutant
I'm in Mississauga. I am trying to join my new University's cricket team this year. They are a part of a annual multi-university tournament in Florida so I feel pretty tempted to go for that. Don't know about anything too serious or rewarding other than that, and also even for the Toronto leagues the pitches and grounds are horrible. Canada is just not the place to move up in cricket and realize potential for cricket...