Cricket Player Manager
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 96

Thread: Need Help? Send Us Clips

  1. #61
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I think you just wanted comments from coaches - but I will give you my opinion anyway.

    Your follow through isn't complete - it made me question if you were trying to bowl inswingers when I saw you were following through. Try to finish with your bowling hand on the left hand side of your body if possible.

    Also why were you bowling around the wicket in one clip. If you are bowling inswingers that would not be a good idea.

    Try and hold your head steadier if you can during the delivery.

    On the final clip you got good bounce.

    Good stuff overall. Look like a good medium pacer.
    All comments are most welcome mate...i need some critical input to my bowling for sure...as i am struggling to get regular wickets..

    For around the wicket bowling...yes..the batsman i was bowling to was extremely good driving or cutting if given room and i was not able to contain him by bowling over the wicket.....so i decided using my limited knowledge of bowling strategy to bowl around the wicket and i was able to move the ball in to the batsman from off and middle stump so...that was working for me at that moment...but you are spot on about the steady head and where my arm should be in the follow through...something to work on in the next practice session...as for the inswingers..i am naturally an inswing bowler...only recently i have started to bowl some outswings by cutting down on the pace and releasing the ball more....but i am a noob when it comes to outswing...i can move the ball out but the line and length isn't there...

    Thanks for the complements...and advice however...need more of it...i will post some more videos soon with a better view...

    @Manee,

    You are right and i even know about the follow through thing..but my habit is so bad i end up bowling the same way again...lol...As for the jogging and sprinting...thats what happens when you put on so much weight...lol...once i cut that down in the off season this year..hopefully the run up will be better...

    Again thanks for all the good words and suggestions..its highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Faisal1985; 18-08-2010 at 03:44 PM.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

  2. #62
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Notice how you have to jog a bit to follow through whereas most professionals transfer energy fully into the ball and so have a short follow through despite running in considerably quicker than you do. By no means am I saying to stop after you release it, but if you do release it correctly, you won't find the need to almost slow down your run up after you've released the ball.
    You are right....these are the precise technical issues i need to work on....i have good momentum behind the ball but only occasionally i feel that i am able to transfer that in to the ball and then i end up jogging up to the batsman....sometimes i do it on purpose to eye down the batsman but yeah my follow through is long....

  3. #63
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    Also Manee, when you say that the non bowling arm should be high behind me in the follow through....does it move in along with my bowling arm...in other words do both of them go through the same circular motion after releasing the ball...?

  4. #64
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Also Manee, when you say that the non bowling arm should be high behind me in the follow through....does it move in along with my bowling arm...in other words do both of them go through the same circular motion after releasing the ball...?
    This will probably explain it better than I can...

    YouTube - PitchVision Academy Fast Bowling Drill - 4 Tent Pegs
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.


  5. #65
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    YouTube - Bowling Against McGill 3.MTS

    This another clip....i tried to change styles in this over because i was not getting any movement...so i tried a high arm action as well...which i almost got a wicket off...the dude in gully dropped a sitter..

  6. #66
    International Coach Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    10,569
    I think if you can work on these changes you will get more bounce and pace which will lead to more wickets. The other thing to work on is your variations. You say you are a noob at outswing. You need either a leg cutter or an outswinger as a variation to bowl once every 3 or 4 overs just to confuse the batsman and make him think. Do you have a leg cutter.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

  7. #67
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I think if you can work on these changes you will get more bounce and pace which will lead to more wickets. The other thing to work on is your variations. You say you are a noob at outswing. You need either a leg cutter or an outswinger as a variation to bowl once every 3 or 4 overs just to confuse the batsman and make him think. Do you have a leg cutter.
    I can bowl leg cutters only with cross seam position..and its not at will that it will cut that way...its by chance that the ball cuts that way....i cant nip the ball away from batsman off the deck...mostly its my grip..i don't really know which way to hold the ball to bowl leg cutters....
    Last edited by Faisal1985; 18-08-2010 at 06:56 PM.

  8. #68
    International Coach Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    10,569
    I think I can help with the leg cutter. If you can bowl a leg spinner you can bowl a leg cutter. There are two ways to bowl a leg cutter. One is to point the seam at the slips and to pull back on the seam at delivery - if your wrist position is pure the seam position will be maintained in flight and the ball will seam away. Some people say that you would impart more backwards spin on the ball using your second finger to get it to seam away. This is one method.

    The more consistent method is to actually impart leg spin on the ball when you bowl it - Steve waugh used to do this - it is hard to describe over the internet but I will try. I also looked for a youtube clip of Waugh bowling but couldn't find one.

    Here goes. Grip the ball like normal - except this time bring your index and second finger together so they are touching. Then bowl a leg spinner using your second finger to impart the spin - rather than with a regular leg spinner how you use your little finger.
    Most people I have shown this to have managed to bowl this successfully on the very first attempt.
    A batsman who faces you a lot will figure out what you are going to bowl by watching your grip while you are running in - but someone who doesn't know you will get taken by surprise.
    The first method pointing the seam position towards slips is impossible to detect for the batsman. But it is inconsistent.

    Give both methods a try in the nets. Or even at home with a tennis ball.

  9. #69
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I think I can help with the leg cutter. If you can bowl a leg spinner you can bowl a leg cutter. There are two ways to bowl a leg cutter. One is to point the seam at the slips and to pull back on the seam at delivery - if your wrist position is pure the seam position will be maintained in flight and the ball will seam away. Some people say that you would impart more backwards spin on the ball using your second finger to get it to seam away. This is one method.

    The more consistent method is to actually impart leg spin on the ball when you bowl it - Steve waugh used to do this - it is hard to describe over the internet but I will try. I also looked for a youtube clip of Waugh bowling but couldn't find one.

    Here goes. Grip the ball like normal - except this time bring your index and second finger together so they are touching. Then bowl a leg spinner using your second finger to impart the spin - rather than with a regular leg spinner how you use your little finger.
    Most people I have shown this to have managed to bowl this successfully on the very first attempt.
    A batsman who faces you a lot will figure out what you are going to bowl by watching your grip while you are running in - but someone who doesn't know you will get taken by surprise.
    The first method pointing the seam position towards slips is impossible to detect for the batsman. But it is inconsistent.

    Give both methods a try in the nets. Or even at home with a tennis ball.
    I think i understand what you are saying. Wouldn't this slow down the pace though? Especially the second method....even if it does i don't think it should matter for a surprise ball....but nice tip...will check it out for sure...

    Usually my surprise ball is the slower one...where i split the fingers on the ball so that it comes out a bit slower.....got this tip from Qaiser Ali, the Canadian National player...you will find him on cricinfo...and funny thing, in a league game i even got him out with the same ball....

  10. #70
    International Coach Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    10,569
    Both methods are bowled at roughly the same speed as your stock delivery. It is possible that he second method is slightly slower because you can't flick your wrist forward when you bowl (like all good medium pacers should).

    I used to live in Canada - I lived in Vancouver and Calgary and played a lot of cricket there. I think cricket is stronger in Toronto apparently from what I have heard. But we Vancouver produced a few players for the national team. I played with a player (occassionally) called Barry Seebaran he doesn't play for Canada anymore but he appeared at a world cup for Canada. The major problem with cricket in Canada - and I noticed it on your video (and it made me smile) is the grass. It is very long. Perhaps it is different in Toronto. But it is difficult in Vancouver to hit a four all the way along the ground. And in Calgary it has never been done to the best of my knowledge.

    Anyways I wish you could find even one clip of Steve Waugh bowling and you will see that he bowls his leg cutter at a fair speed and it isn't a "slower" ball. Interesting story about your slower ball that is very ironic.

  11. #71
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,443
    I'm not sure about bowling the leg cutter like a leg break. It is something rarely done at international level, the leg cutter tends to be bowled with a subtle flick of the wrist and/or a slightly different grip to a seam up delivery.

  12. #72
    International Coach Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    10,569
    @Manee I have only seen Steve Waugh do it that way tbh. If you have a better method of bowling one please post it.

    The more traditional method of bowling a leg cutter is the first method I suggested. Just doesn't work as often. You need to point the seam at slips and then hit the seam with your delivery. I guess if you are Hadlee you can do this at will.

    I am sure other bowlers have their own techniques for bowling the delivery.

    Here is another method according to a google search

    BBC SPORT | Cricket | Skills | Learn the leg cutter

    Imagine facing a leg break. Now imagine the ball hurtling down at you at 80mph.

    It's where the ball moves off the pitch from the batsman's leg-side towards the off-side.

    The amount of movement will depend on the bowler, state of the pitch and the condition of the ball.

    If bowled on or around the batsman's off stump, it will give a bowler a greater chance of getting an edge to the wicketkeeper or slips.

    STEP ONE
    With the seam vertical, the middle finger is placed along the seam with the index finger about two centimetres away.

    The ball rests between the thumb and the third finger.

    STEP TWO
    As the ball is released the index and middle finger work down the side of the ball so that the thumb passes round under the ball, generating spin on the ball.
    The "step two" and the spin imparted on the ball - is very similar to the method that I have advocated (that Steve Waugh used).

    Anyway - if you have a better method then please share as I would like to learn too.

  13. #73
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Both methods are bowled at roughly the same speed as your stock delivery. It is possible that he second method is slightly slower because you can't flick your wrist forward when you bowl (like all good medium pacers should).

    I used to live in Canada - I lived in Vancouver and Calgary and played a lot of cricket there. I think cricket is stronger in Toronto apparently from what I have heard. But we Vancouver produced a few players for the national team. I played with a player (occassionally) called Barry Seebaran he doesn't play for Canada anymore but he appeared at a world cup for Canada. The major problem with cricket in Canada - and I noticed it on your video (and it made me smile) is the grass. It is very long. Perhaps it is different in Toronto. But it is difficult in Vancouver to hit a four all the way along the ground. And in Calgary it has never been done to the best of my knowledge.

    Anyways I wish you could find even one clip of Steve Waugh bowling and you will see that he bowls his leg cutter at a fair speed and it isn't a "slower" ball. Interesting story about your slower ball that is very ironic.
    Yeah Toronto's league is the biggest and they have a lot more competitive cricket.

    I played for Quebec a couple of years ago and went to Winnipeg. Got a chance to play against the likes of Steve Welsh and other high profile national players. Teams fro Calgray, Edmonton, BC, Saskatoon were there...it was an amazing tournament to be part of.

    Yes, the grounds are terrible in terms of grass...there is no way you can slap a drive for four all along the ground....there is only one ground in Montreal where you can do that in Parc Ex. Other grounds are too messed up to play even club level cricket...

    My pace used to be a lot more before...and even now some times i can touch more pace but not consistently because i can't run in that hard due to my weight...once that is down a bit....hopefully i can run in harder, correct my action/follow through...but i have represented Quebec in various national tournaments in the past...especially when i was a junior....but the lack of coaching, proper facilities to practice are completely absent in Montreal....you become a couch potato in the winter because the indoor facilities are booked for other sports....so its tough but still some good players have emerged from MTL.

  14. #74
    International Coach Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    10,569
    I thought Canada cricket was pretty good when I played in it. I mostly know about Vancouver cricket. The premier division there was pretty decent. We had some former first class cricketers playing in it.

    Good to know that you played in Montreal - and I am impressed that you played at provincial level. I never came close to the BC team. But did play in the premier division for a number of years.

    When did you go that tournament in Winnipeg? What year.

    Sounds like you have played some good cricket.

    With your follow through - if you are bowling inswingers then it is fine just how it is - if you want to get outswing or get the ball to hold its line then you will need to make those changes we discussed.

    Thanks for the clips -

  15. #75
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I thought Canada cricket was pretty good when I played in it. I mostly know about Vancouver cricket. The premier division there was pretty decent. We had some former first class cricketers playing in it.

    Good to know that you played in Montreal - and I am impressed that you played at provincial level. I never came close to the BC team. But did play in the premier division for a number of years.

    When did you go that tournament in Winnipeg? What year.

    Sounds like you have played some good cricket.

    With your follow through - if you are bowling inswingers then it is fine just how it is - if you want to get outswing or get the ball to hold its line then you will need to make those changes we discussed.

    Thanks for the clips -
    Hey thanks for the tips man...

    I went to Winnipeg in summer of 2007 in August.

    I only made it to the team because some of the key bowlers were not available for the Quebec team...and recently that season i had taken 4/20 against Adistrians premier division. This is one of the oldest clubs of Montreal and they are truly one of the best out here in Canada. There top order consisted of Abdul Jabbar (also played Canada national once), Qaiser Ali and a couple of other batsmen who were very close to Canadian selection...i was able to get some extra bounce out of the pitch and got important wickets...that's when they picked me as a second choice bowler. Although i always am confident of my bowling no matter how brutal the batsman.

    BC's premier division is equivalent of Ontario's elite division which is the highest quality cricket you would find in Canada other then the national team and if you played that level then that is really something. Moreover, its very competitive in BC to make it to the highest level as far as i heard. Quebec's premier division is slowly diminishing in quality because of the lack of facilities/coaching and an extreme amount of useless politics...the elected members are corrupt just like our sub continent governments...now however, the QCF has been divided and MCA has become the more attractive organization for new teams.

    Recently they managed to get local sponsors for a day night T20 league tournament. I was lucky to be captaining the Montreal Jaguars side. We got a hammering from Toronto and Ottawa for obvious reasons that our batting was no where close to countering there pace attack.

    Anyhow, the clips that you watched other then the one in Orange out fit....were while i was fasting for Ramazan and to kill time i played for Concordia University which i go to....so i wasn't really up to my full speed there...plus the pounds i gained while working and studying don't help at all....however, i am planning to hopefully complete my degree this year and hit the gym full time to train for next season and hopefully will put up more clips with improved bowling.

    Out swing bowling is one of the key weapons for a new ball bowler there is no way i am giving up on learning that...and hopefully will try to apply the suggestions you made...so far didn't get a chance to hit the practice.....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Send a Postcard
    By James in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 04:32 AM
  2. Send offs given by bowlers
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 19-11-2011, 07:20 AM
  3. How to send PMs?
    By stumpski in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28-08-2007, 08:14 AM
  4. Does it help to send in a night-watchman?
    By thirdslip in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 24-02-2005, 06:03 PM
  5. Please can someone send me a saved game
    By Anomaly in forum General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-02-2005, 11:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •