• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need Help? Send Us Clips

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain

Looks , feels, swings and spins like a real cricket ball at times, just alot softer(plasic), awkward bounce at times but as good to the real deal as it gets.

EDIT: Can you see the pic? I can't see my ow pic which is wierd.
Nop...can't see the pic.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think i understand what you are saying. Wouldn't this slow down the pace though? Especially the second method....even if it does i don't think it should matter for a surprise ball....but nice tip...will check it out for sure...

Usually my surprise ball is the slower one...where i split the fingers on the ball so that it comes out a bit slower.....got this tip from Qaiser Ali, the Canadian National player...you will find him on cricinfo...and funny thing, in a league game i even got him out with the same ball....
The easiest way to bowl the leg-cutter is to grip the ball normally with both fingers slightly down either side of the seam and then drop the index finger down the side of the ball. This way you should naturally impart some spin on the ball without losing pace. You don't have to drop it down too far.

A guy who used to play first grade in Brisbane taught me this method and it worked very well. If it hits the seam it goes towards the slips (to a r-hander) and if it doesn't in generally skids on.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
That is a great tip tbh...it is working for me somewhat to bowl the leg cutters..got 4 T20s coming up this weekend....another opportunity to test it in match situation....

You guys have been amazing..thanks all.

health fitness

I need help too in making my batting better and I want to improve my health fitness too, If you have unique tips then guide me through please. Thank you.

I need help too in making my batting better and I want to improve my health fitness too, If you have unique tips then guide me through please. Thank you.

vijayjd

Cricket Spectator
Can anyone tell me if it is better to snap the wrists just before releasing the ball or keep the wrists ****ed.?

I can personally do both with pretty decent control. So I wanted to know from the experts about which is better.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Just see which one gets you more wickets and concedes less runs. Of course, if they come out at different speeds, then look to vary it up and keep the quicker one as a stock ball.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Can anyone tell me if it is better to snap the wrists just before releasing the ball or keep the wrists ****ed.?

I can personally do both with pretty decent control. So I wanted to know from the experts about which is better.
Nowhere in the vicinity of being an expert, but I can offer my two cents.

Keeping the wrists ****ed is very good for outswing with a new ball. In that way, you let the ball roll gently through the fingers and the seam is upright. The constant wrist position does the work more than a snapping/jerking action, if that statement makes any sense. Slightly firmer wrists (and a different grip obv.) is required for new ball inswing. Please bear in mind this is predominantly swing in the air that I'm talking about.

Snapping the wrists works for me if I intend to get some zip off the seam or greater bounce. It's usually done with a not-so-new ball, so the seam is still relatively hard but the shine is no longer there. So, in principle you are banging the ball on the seam with a powerful timely wrist action rather than letting it float out. It's unlikely that such a delivery would move in the air, but could behave like a bitch after pitching.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
For your stock ball Snap your wrist Except it shouldn't be a hard snap.

Bowlers who snap come on to me about 2 yards quicker.

vijayjd

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for your time guys.. Really useful advice :D

Please also tell me how to ball inswingers(for that matter any swing would help) by snapping the wrist.. i mean, do we need to turn the seam towards leg slip(first slip for outswing) and then snap the wrist on release or we should tilt the hand to the LEFT and then snap the wrist on release ?
Ur advice and help would be appreciated.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
My previous post does differentiate between swing in the air (letting it roll out gently) and getting movement and bounce off the track (snapping the wrists).

For more detailed info on grips and stuff, check out these links - Cricket Articles. Enjoy, kanna! :)

Riggins

International Captain
good turn. probably need to be faster through the air. hows the seam come out, any drift?

45DegreeOBS

Cricket Spectator
good turn. probably need to be faster through the air. hows the seam come out, any drift?
Thanks Riggins
Yeah I wasn't bowling over my front leg and was very tentative through the crease. Bowling speed is faster now. With my normal grip the seam comes out upright. The 45 degree top spinning leg break is my stock ball on most pitches, (in the second video the second ball was a perfect 45 degree leg break) then of course the 75 degree top spinning delivery is a handy delivery to get some nice turn and a little bit of dip as well, and the 90 degree leg break (Usually a bit slower to get lots of grip) The rest of my deliveries are all bowled with a scrambled seam to make them more difficult to pick (45 degree OBS, top spinner, googly)
I do get very nice drift these days, if only I could get out to the nets alone and shoot a few videos! :dry: My drift usually is enough to make most batsmen play for zero turn which results in a very weird, miss timed shot. It happens countless times against right handed batsman with the first ball, they see the drift, and not knowing that I'm a chinaman they play to the right of the ball from their view (as if it's an outswinger) trying to play a cover drive, but end up hitting the ball towards mid wicket. Very ugly, but nice to see if your a bowler:laugh:

thundaboult

International Debutant
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I am 21 years old living in Canada and aspiring to be a fast bowler. Even though I haven't clocked my bowling speed before, I know I'm not bowling at a speed of more than 110km/hour. I have been practicing on remodelling my bowling action for a month now and have made some strides as I had a real consistent chucking problem before. This summer will be my first taste of competitive cricket as I have never played cricket competitively before.

My question is very simple, how do I increase my pace? Is it too late for me to do so as I am 21 or is there still hope? Also it would be great if you let me know of some fitness and workout routines I can do to make myself stronger for fast bowling and just cricket itself in general.

Second, if you guys can nitpick and analyze my run-up and bowling action in the following video of me bowling, that would be great.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm....i don't know how to use words to describe your action to highlight what I am concerned about. I guess you are using a load up and then release style of bowling, that is the best I can do to describe it. Watch some Youtube of Stuart Broad. I think he has a good basic action that someone can aspire to. See if you can mimic his action for a while Even if you have to bowl slower at first. Don't go all out for speed right away.

Movement and control are equally as important as speed and control will come with a good repeatable action.

Thanks for the clip.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Hmmm....i don't know how to use words to describe your action to highlight what I am concerned about. I guess you are using a load up and then release style of bowling, that is the best I can do to describe it. Watch some Youtube of Stuart Broad. I think he has a good basic action that someone can aspire to. See if you can mimic his action for a while Even if you have to bowl slower at first. Don't go all out for speed right away.

Movement and control are equally as important as speed and control will come with a good repeatable action.

Thanks for the clip.
I've watched a few videos of right arm pace bowlers in the last few days and the one thing I've seen about them is that when they are just about to JUMP, they jump using their left leg, the first leg that lands back down is the right and the left leg comes down after that extended with the foot almost touching the crease line. I've noticed (I'm right arm as well) that I jump with my right and also land on it while my left leg remains completely useless, well it actually kinda hinders my movement too to be honest. I feel that in my run up, I instinctively want to jump using my right leg instead of left, is this a big problem and how can I fix this??

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I've watched a few videos of right arm pace bowlers in the last few days and the one thing I've seen about them is that when they are just about to JUMP, they jump using their left leg, the first leg that lands back down is the right and the left leg comes down after that extended with the foot almost touching the crease line. I've noticed (I'm right arm as well) that I jump with my right and also land on it while my left leg remains completely useless, well it actually kinda hinders my movement too to be honest. I feel that in my run up, I instinctively want to jump using my right leg instead of left, is this a big problem and how can I fix this??
Just try to practice the jump at first. Just run up and jump and don't worry about actually doing anything with your arms until you master the jump.