• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indoor Cricket - Bowl strait or outside off? normally

MrDucksWorth

Cricket Spectator
I'm wondering what would be more successful in indoor cricket.

If I bowl around the wicket to the right hander (which is where I am most accurate) and get it pitching on middle or off, the angle makes it bounces up 'outside off' then I could be getting nicks. Except in indoor cricket you don't really have slips and the wicket keeper is standing quite close. Having this as my stock bowl would make the occasional in-swinger to leg stump very effective due to the speed of indoor cricket, him expecting the outside off ball and him trying to smack the outside off balls with him trying to make room.

If I bowl over the wicket (which makes me bowl strait and sometimes trail down leg side) your stock ball is on stumps in which there is no wicket keeper to drop your catches so I'm not sure which to normally bowl.

What do you think? I'm starting indoor cricket this year for the first time

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Go for just back of a length on off. Think you're better off bowling it a tad shorter rather than too full based on the rules i've played indoor cricket by.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In indoor cricket you want to be bowling tight in at the hip or ribs, it really only gives the batsman one scoring chance and thats a two on the leg side, it also increases your chances of a run out if you have your best fielder at leg side and someone with a good arm at leg guard.

Simon

Go for just back of a length on off. Think you're better off bowling it a tad shorter rather than too full based on the rules i've played indoor cricket by.
outside off stump every ball is just cannon fodder, its a minimum two every ball if you are a reasonable batsman...

MrDucksWorth

Cricket Spectator
outside off stump every ball is just cannon fodder, its a minimum two every ball if you are a reasonable batsman...
yeah that's what my thinking was. But if you were getting them high enough he might not be able to get onto it enough and might get some catches. And then have that one that swings back in to leg stump to bowl him out.

But yeah up at just below his ribs coming from over the wicket doesn't sound like such a bad Idea. Except 1 run a ball isn't a bad run rate. I guess he might start doing stupid things like backing away from the stumps to give him room if you persist long enough 'maybe'.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Echo what has already been said.

Indoor cricket you want to be short of a length into the body.

On the stumps, just outside off etc is all meat and drink if it is on a good or full length.

pasag

RTDAS
Tried the shorter stuff but usually gets dispatched for 7s. Was good in theory though. Outside off works best for me and straight has too much chance of drifting down leg, I find.

Son Of Coco

It depends on how good a bowler you are though...and in my experience indoor cricket balls usually swing whichever way you want them to. Especially if they've been re-lacquered

Simon

It depends on how good a bowler you are though...and in my experience indoor cricket balls usually swing whichever way you want them to. Especially if they've been re-lacquered
actually depends more on the batsman, i play indoor at a fairly good level so unless it is cramping the batters for room then you usually get hammered.

MrDucksWorth

Cricket Spectator
i'll know which works best for me when I actually start playing I guess. I think it will depend on how much bunch I 'can' get.

I think outside off would work if its 'high' enough, because the normal outdoor length that gets nicked probably wouldn't work as well because indoor players are more willing to angle the bat and try to smash it, as opposed to playing a drive on a ball you should of let go through to the keeper.

pasag

RTDAS
Haha, how were you getting hit for 7s?

Leggie playing indoor cricket :cool:
Can't seem to generate enough pace as I usually rely on a longish run up for that. The truncated run up really kills me so the shorter balls with not the highest amount of pace just get smacked back over my head.

Simon

i'll know which works best for me when I actually start playing I guess. I think it will depend on how much bunch I 'can' get.

I think outside off would work if its 'high' enough, because the normal outdoor length that gets nicked probably wouldn't work as well because indoor players are more willing to angle the bat and try to smash it, as opposed to playing a drive on a ball you should of let go through to the keeper.
Just remember in Indoor any ball above the shoulder is a no ball, so if you are giving the batsman width outside off you wouldnt want it anything under chest height so you dont have much to work with.

Full tosses can be effective, if not unsporting sometimes, as the rule is slightly different to that in outdoor, to be called a no ball it has to be above the shoulder on the full.

MrDucksWorth

Cricket Spectator
oh I ment bouncing 'high' outside off. So shorter then an outdoor length, I just don't know if I will get enough pace.

MrDucksWorth

Cricket Spectator
yeh i know, was just adding that the odd full toss is alright ;)
oh ok thanks.

So who are you more likely to run out the batter or the non striker?

I went down and watched some indoor cricket where i'll be playing the other day. It seemed like as long as you got onto the ball a little bit and didn't think you hit it strait to a fielder you just run. No time to communicate, just run, lol

Simon

oh ok thanks.

So who are you more likely to run out the batter or the non striker?
Depends where you are fielding, obviously if you are in the back court its easier to run out the batsman who hit it, if you are are cover, point or leg side generally you "slap" the ball at the keeper to effect a run out. Obviously the same as outdoor cricket you use judgement in the heat of the moment and throw to the end you feel you have the best chance of getting them out.

I went down and watched some indoor cricket where i'll be playing the other day. It seemed like as long as you got onto the ball a little bit and didn't think you hit it strait to a fielder you just run. No time to communicate, just run, lol
Yeh pretty much is the aim, when two reasonably matched teams play each other the difference at the end of the game is who has the least run outs, I generally like to bat with the same people all the time because after a while you can tell if they want to run by body language.

As to hitting the ball, your aim is generally to hit the ball into the ground and get it high on the nets so your partner can get through and make the run easier. Bad balls you look to put away at the back net, but even then a side to back four is your lowest risk shot.

Son Of Coco

actually depends more on the batsman, i play indoor at a fairly good level so unless it is cramping the batters for room then you usually get hammered.
It's fairly relative though...isn't it? I played Superleague on the coast and there's a lot of nudging going on into the top part of the nets etc but you only get hammered if you bowl a bad ball.

Simon

It's fairly relative though...isn't it? I played Superleague on the coast and there's a lot of nudging going on into the top part of the nets etc but you only get hammered if you bowl a bad ball.
well generally, i play with and against some guys that play for Australia and it doesnt take much to become a bad ball against them...

bond21

Banned
its a batsman's game though indoor cricket.

I should hope they can score runs seeing as you can only run in off 3 steps.