• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hows my training schedule?

MrDucksWorth

Cricket Spectator
Just wondering what you think of my training schedule for a fast bowler? Any input?

6 Mornings a week:
30 Min Walk

3 Times a Week
  1. 30 Minute 'Core' work out
  2. 30 Min Bike Ride
  3. One to One and a half hour net session

Two indoor cricket games a week

Except in summer one indoor cricket game would be replaced by an outdoor game (plus would also have 2 team trainings a week)

Because I study full time at home, during breaks i've also been hitting a ball on a string (practicing foot work, batting technique etc)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest, walking isnt going to make much of an impact on your fitness for fast bowling.

Riding a bike will help with general fitness and keeping in shape but will not specifically help with fast bowling.

You need to focus on things that are similar to bowling and replicate the stresses and fatigue.

As I stated in a previous thread, sprint work is very important.

After taking a bike ride or on days that you dont have nets try running '40s'.

Its simple and if you push yourself you will get good value from a short exercise.

Set markers approx 20m apart.
At 3/4 sprint (if you can do full sprint then do it). Run the 20m and then walk back.
Do that 4 times.

Then do there and back (without stopping) x4 (total 40m each time) with a short breath in between each one.

Then do there, back and then there (without stopping) x4 (total 60m each time) and walk slowly back to the begining before going again.

To finish do there, back, there, back (without stopping) x 4 (total 80m each time) and take a very short breath between each one.

It starts easy but by the time you are sprinting the 4th leg of your 4th set of 4s you are hurting and building your sprint endurance. You run the 20m a total of 40 times.

Last edited:

MrDucksWorth

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the advice. It will probably work doing that sought of stuff in the mornings instead of the walk and I can still listen to sermons on the mp3 player. Just a little bit concerned about my knees, joints and concentration levels for full time study for the rest of the day. But I guess exercise also unlocks energy in a sense.

Will need to measure twenty metres some how, or is near enough good enough? Just sought of guess?

I may drop the bike ride because last nights 1 hour of planks, side planks, push ups, sit ups, lunges, squats etc is still a great work out. Probably harder then a 30 min bike ride.

There is a good oval to do it as well, that I walk past every morning.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
20 big strides is a good enough guess.

For additional benefit, Id recommend that it was done on grass. I wouldnt want to be running these on any other surface.

And if you want to get full benefit, and the surface allows, do it barefoot (though isnt essential) as barefoot helps develop stabalising muscles in the lower leg, foot and ankle that training in shoes doesnt and reduces injuries.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Thanks for the advice. It will probably work doing that sought of stuff in the mornings instead of the walk and I can still listen to sermons on the mp3 player. Just a little bit concerned about my knees, joints and concentration levels for full time study for the rest of the day. But I guess exercise also unlocks energy in a sense.

Will need to measure twenty metres some how, or is near enough good enough? Just sought of guess?

I may drop the bike ride because last nights 1 hour of planks, side planks, push ups, sit ups, lunges, squats etc is still a great work out. Probably harder then a 30 min bike ride.

There is a good oval to do it as well, that I walk past every morning.
Just run in and bowl a yorker. Where the ball hits the ground will be about 20 metres. Warm up by fetching the ball. :dry:

MrDucksWorth

Cricket Spectator
For additional benefit, Id recommend that it was done on grass. I wouldnt want to be running these on any other surface.
Yeah there's a few ovals around the corner.

And if you want to get full benefit, and the surface allows, do it barefoot (though isnt essential) as barefoot helps develop stabalising muscles in the lower leg, foot and ankle that training in shoes doesnt and reduces injuries.
Interesting, I 'may' try that :)

Just run in and bowl a yorker. Where the ball hits the ground will be about 20 metres. Warm up by fetching the ball. :dry:
lol I actually laughed!