Thread: Goughy - running in too fast to bowl

Banned

Goughy - running in too fast to bowl

I have been told I "attack" the crease too hard and that is the cause of my inconsistency. He said I should be trying to carry momentum through the crease instead of attacking it.

He told me I should run in a bit slower and a bit more smoothly so I get my action the same every time, and try not to rush through the action because I have to if im running in too fast.

What are your thoughts?

Right now my run up is almost a sprint, not quite but I run in pretty hard and it might unbalance me at the crease a bit.

Also I really dont understand the difference between "attacking the crease" and "carrying momentum through it"
    Last edited by bond21; 13-02-2008 at 06:02 AM.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Allan Donald used to time his run ups to get the optimum balance between running smoothly and running quickly, I seem to remember reading. He concluded that it is better for you if you run in smoother and quicker, rather than simply charging in, limbs everywhere and delivering the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Its different for all bowlers. You have to find what is comfortable and what works for you.

Different quicks get a different proportion of their pace from different aspects of their action.

I, myself, charge in hard at a full sprint. I get a lot of pace through momentum and traveling through the crease with aggression.

I find that it is the only way to stop my action from getting out of sync. A slowed down runup and speed of hitting the crease doesnt work for me as I find my arms and legs dont go in the same place every ball.

Also I need the pace in my runup to effectively bring my hips through. If I slow down the runup even a fraction I lose pace and rhythm as its impossible to execute the action properly and I have to force the ball (basically shoulder it) down to the other end.

I cant bowl medium pace as I cant replicate my action and smoothness off a more sedate runup.

Others, obviously, are different.

You need to know your own action and body to be able to make the call on what is best for you.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Banned
    yea I think I am running in a bit too fast and frantic, because I feel less control at the crease than if I go off a shorter run and run in more smoothly, like I am rushing through the action.

Ill try a slower approach with more control.

I take a fairly long run up, but don't charge 'that' hard. I just make sure I'm taking small steps at first and then fairly long strides by the end. I might run harder when my core's stronger though (I hurt my back fairly easily)
    Your primary concern should be whether we get given justice in the next life. If so, I'd be in great trouble without Jesus.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Running in too fast has been a problem of mine, despite not looking from the sidelines that I am moving too quickly. Like Goughy says, I guess this is an individual thing, at my height running too quickly means it gets very difficult to control my elongated limbs!!

I tend to bowl smoother and possibly quicker when bowling in indoor nets using a shorter, smoother balanced run up and extracting my pace from my shoulders. Also, the indoor tracks mean that I hurry the batsmen a little more than perhaps outside on a typical English track.

Thread Information