• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Goughy - running in too fast to bowl

bond21

Banned
I have been told I "attack" the crease too hard and that is the cause of my inconsistency. He said I should be trying to carry momentum through the crease instead of attacking it.

He told me I should run in a bit slower and a bit more smoothly so I get my action the same every time, and try not to rush through the action because I have to if im running in too fast.

What are your thoughts?

Right now my run up is almost a sprint, not quite but I run in pretty hard and it might unbalance me at the crease a bit.

Also I really dont understand the difference between "attacking the crease" and "carrying momentum through it"

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Allan Donald used to time his run ups to get the optimum balance between running smoothly and running quickly, I seem to remember reading. He concluded that it is better for you if you run in smoother and quicker, rather than simply charging in, limbs everywhere and delivering the ball.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its different for all bowlers. You have to find what is comfortable and what works for you.

Different quicks get a different proportion of their pace from different aspects of their action.

I, myself, charge in hard at a full sprint. I get a lot of pace through momentum and traveling through the crease with aggression.

I find that it is the only way to stop my action from getting out of sync. A slowed down runup and speed of hitting the crease doesnt work for me as I find my arms and legs dont go in the same place every ball.

Also I need the pace in my runup to effectively bring my hips through. If I slow down the runup even a fraction I lose pace and rhythm as its impossible to execute the action properly and I have to force the ball (basically shoulder it) down to the other end.

I cant bowl medium pace as I cant replicate my action and smoothness off a more sedate runup.

Others, obviously, are different.

You need to know your own action and body to be able to make the call on what is best for you.

bond21

Banned
yea I think I am running in a bit too fast and frantic, because I feel less control at the crease than if I go off a shorter run and run in more smoothly, like I am rushing through the action.

Ill try a slower approach with more control.

MrDucksWorth

Cricket Spectator
I take a fairly long run up, but don't charge 'that' hard. I just make sure I'm taking small steps at first and then fairly long strides by the end. I might run harder when my core's stronger though (I hurt my back fairly easily)

Woodster

International Captain
Running in too fast has been a problem of mine, despite not looking from the sidelines that I am moving too quickly. Like Goughy says, I guess this is an individual thing, at my height running too quickly means it gets very difficult to control my elongated limbs!!

I tend to bowl smoother and possibly quicker when bowling in indoor nets using a shorter, smoother balanced run up and extracting my pace from my shoulders. Also, the indoor tracks mean that I hurry the batsmen a little more than perhaps outside on a typical English track.