Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weights training for increased speed?

After some research I have a list that I may include on a regular work out
    • The Plank
    • V-Sits
    • Dead Lifts
    • Sit Ups
    • Reverse Crunch
    • Bicycle Crunch
    • Oblique Crunch
    • Alternating Superman
    • Back Bridge

And a couple that are geared more toward the legs (may not spend as much time, considering i'll be bike riding
    • Squats
    • Lunges
    Your primary concern should be whether we get given justice in the next life. If so, I'd be in great trouble without Jesus.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    In addition to the core work thats already been mentioned I'd recomend you do a bit of swimming...

Get down to the pool a couple of times a week and do a few laps....Has a toning and strengthening effect on your upper body without placing your joints under stress or causing you to really 'bulk up' the way weight training would.
    Plus its great for your endurance.

And if your hearts really set on hitting the gym, then I'd suggest you stick to bodyweight exercises (pushups for chest/shoulders/triceps, chinups for back/biceps). Far less risk of joint/tendon injury in comparison to weight training. And I also say this due to my own experience as a fast bowler who used weights and found it had if anything a negative impact on my bowling.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Took that core thing as a challenge and just did it for three minutes. Won't be lifting anything tomorrow.
    Jesus brings life eternal

remembering the life of Phil 'The Prince' Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    And if your hearts really set on hitting the gym
    Well its not really anymore, I don't really need a gym to do the exercises listed above. Swimming is a good idea, but everything costs money and with two indoor games a week and such I don't have a lot of money left for other things. Living the centrelink full time student life at the moment :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    Took that core thing as a challenge and just did it for three minutes. Won't be lifting anything tomorrow.
    impressive and humorous at the same time :P . I probably could have lasted longer the first time, but knew more reps were coming. It's good to see that the 2nd time I made four reps of 20 secs (instead of going 16, 14, 12, 10 'intentionally' like I did before). I had been for an hour walk and a 40 min bike ride (during the hottest part of a 31 degree day lol) . Man there was swet dripping everywhere and so much energy going into the last few seconds of the plank during the 4th rep!

well I've made it up to 4 reps of 30 secs. Every core workout (which usually take 45 mins to 1 hour) i've been able to add 2 secs per rep. At this rate in 20.6 weeks I should reach 4 reps of 2 and a half mins

This coupled with improving my bowling technique I think has added a bit of pace. My brother seems to think so.

Look at Brett Lee.. he's not exactly bulky with muscle, Anderson's fairly skinny aswell, but its the technique which makes you bowl faster ! bowlers who are doing weights at the gym are usually doing it to prevent injury... players like Simon Jones and Andrew Flintoff do loads of gym work.. because they are always injured and its a great way to gain fitness. Better rhythm and technique will make you bowl quicker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information