• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Speed Gun at training on Wednesday....

bond21

Banned
So a guy has borrowed a speed gun from Queensland Cricket and is bringing it to club training on Wednesday.

This excited everyone at the pub on Saturday and it is a good opportunity for bragging rights.

So I was wondering if anyone has been tested on bowling speed with a speed gun, if so how fast was it?

I will post back here later in the week to post my time.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The local Indoor cricket centre here has a speed gun on one of the courts sometimes, best Ive managed was 128km but I do bowl considerably faster in Indoor than I do in outdoor...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
128kph isn't too shabby. Similar pace as Jacob Oram :p

What's the conversion from miles to kilometres? 1.6?

thierry henry

International Coach
I was 65kph when they had one at the Easter Show when I was 11 (and when I was all of about 4'7" and 34kg), so I'd like to think I'm a fair bit faster today lol. I'd love to have an opportunity, with my cricketing mates, to be measured on a proper radar.

maditaliano

Cricket Spectator
I remember when I was like 10 years old I got a platypus ball (among other things) for Christmas. At the time I was clocking just over 80km/h while my older brother (five years older than me) was clocking early to mid 120's. At this stage, I am now 15 years old and have consistently hit 126km/h.

I know that someone will say that they will never give a true reading, but after bowling about 20 balls with it, I think it is pretty consistent... never been tested on a speed gun though.

EDIT:
Also, Perm, I'm pretty sure if he was willing to sacrifice a bit of line and length Jacob Oram could bowl a fair bit faster - I'm not trying to argue, I'm just saying, he generally bowls low 130's, but if you consider his size, strength and easy-going run-up, I think it would be quite possible for him to hit 140.

Last edited:

MrDucksWorth

Cricket Spectator
I'm hoping I get a chance to as well. Soon would be great so I can see how much I've improved in the next 3 to 4 years. I'm 'probably' bowling at 110KM/PH. I have a 3 to 4 year plan to loose weight, gain muscle and work my way into an A grade team.

I should be playing indoor cricket this year, which will be great for keeping my skills sharp instead of only playing cricket in summer. I've never done it before, but I'm planing on going to the nets often when it isn't raining in the winter as well, but mind you, I've never been as passionate and determened about Cricket as well.

Josh

International Regular
Effort ball 105 a few years back. Probably slowed down since then due to injury.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm definitely bowling faster now than i was at the last CW Meetup, which was guessed at about 60mph. Only problem is that i've picked up a few injuries from football so had to resort to bowling spin at the last net session as i didn't feel confident putting weight down on one foot.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm definitely bowling faster now than i was at the last CW Meetup, which was guessed at about 60mph. Only problem is that i've picked up a few injuries from football so had to resort to bowling spin at the last net session as i didn't feel confident putting weight down on one foot.
B21, what did you get clocked at?

IIRC Goughy mentioned he was clocked at pretty high speeds a few years back. Anyone remember how fast that was?

bond21

Banned
bah, I was gonna post it sooner but i thought why bother.

I turned up at training on wednesday, and the guy who was bringing it told me qld cricket had to take it back (he was meant to give the speed gun back sooner but tried to sneak it to training)

So no speed gun...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
IIRC Goughy mentioned he was clocked at pretty high speeds a few years back. Anyone remember how fast that was?
I haven't spoken to him for a while, but I seem to remember him saying he reckoned he is mid to high 80s in his prime.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I haven't spoken to him for a while, but I seem to remember him saying he reckoned he is mid to high 80s in his prime.
I have a distrust of speed guns and have never been professionally measured. Any figure is based on comparisons of speed to those who have regularly been clocked that Ive played with (none of which have been as quick as me :) ).

Only accurate thing to say is that the less I play and the older I get the quicker I recall being :p