• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trailing down leg side

bond21

Banned
What do you do when you start to trail down legside?

I was bowling really well for most of my spell, then the last 2 overs i was going down legside about 8 times from 12 balls.

I think it is tiredness, but what can you do to counter it?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What do you do when you start to trail down legside?

I was bowling really well for most of my spell, then the last 2 overs i was going down legside about 8 times from 12 balls.

I think it is tiredness, but what can you do to counter it?
Often it is triedness. Obviously fitness work helps but most importantly is early season net work. Simply, the action gets ragged when tired.

You need to bowl hard and to heavy levels of tiredness in the nets pre-season to work on that concentration required when the body is giving up and on keeping the action tight when it starts to come a little unravelled due to fatigue.

Basically preparing and experiencing the the most exteme match situations when in practice so the body knows how to cope when faced with it.

bond21

Banned
while you're here goughy, i got 2 quick questions about fast bowling.

Our top A grade fast bowler told me to load up near the hip area, kinda like Brett Lee, Chris Martin etc. And yet a coach in my club who has done a course in coaching (i know how you feel about that) told me to load up next to the chin.

Its kinda like a great fast bowler vs a not so great cricketer who has done coaching courses.

Whats your opinion on the gather?

And my left arm sort of goes from my left hand touching my right shoulder on the gather, to going out and pulling down, im not sure if this is the best way to do it. If not, how do you teach people to use their left arm? I read in another thread you should get your left arm up aggressively, im not doing that, im just pulling it down aggressively.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
while you're here goughy, i got 2 quick questions about fast bowling.

Our top A grade fast bowler told me to load up near the hip area, kinda like Brett Lee, Chris Martin etc. And yet a coach in my club who has done a course in coaching (i know how you feel about that) told me to load up next to the chin.

Its kinda like a great fast bowler vs a not so great cricketer who has done coaching courses.

Whats your opinion on the gather?

And my left arm sort of goes from my left hand touching my right shoulder on the gather, to going out and pulling down, im not sure if this is the best way to do it. If not, how do you teach people to use their left arm? I read in another thread you should get your left arm up aggressively, im not doing that, im just pulling it down aggressively.
The gather is about what is comfortable to you.
Yeah, its about whats comfortable.

However, more and more people are believing that the higher the gather the more wasted movement involved in an action and more things that can go wrong.

The number of people bringing the ball head height or above are falling.

I personally gather at just above stomach height.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Often it is triedness. Obviously fitness work helps but most importantly is early season net work. Simply, the action gets ragged when tired.

You need to bowl hard and to heavy levels of tiredness in the nets pre-season to work on that concentration required when the body is giving up and on keeping the action tight when it starts to come a little unravelled due to fatigue.

Basically preparing and experiencing the the most exteme match situations when in practice so the body knows how to cope when faced with it.
Yup. Often a good idea to do your fitness work before training, and practice nailing the execution of your skills under fatigue.