• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Getting Bounce

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
yeah i need to mark out some straight lines on the field for my run up because i feel like i'm going straight when i run in, but then i see on the video that it is curved.

one question i had was about the left leg landing in the delivery stride: what purpose does it have within the action, and should i try to keep it up longer before letting it hit the ground.

right now, my back leg and my front leg (left leg) land almost simultaneously, and i've noticed that most other bowlers keep the front leg up longer before bringing it down.

as for Jeeshan, yeah he's got a pretty good action - i've been telling him he needs to actually run in to the crease and not waddle in like he's doing. He's only been bowling about a year at most, and when we first came to our practices in August 2006, he couldn't bowl at all - so that's a big improvement.

Vishal G. is a continual work in progress. He's seen the video and so he knows that there is a lot of work to do on his action, so hopefully he'll be working on it during the summer.

Thanks for looking at the video so far, and keep the comments coming!

bond21

Banned
yea i noticed the curved run up too.

But yea nothing wrong with your action, you could certainly improve it, but its good.

I think your left leg is fine, side on bowlers have a higher jump and get their feet into different positions, someone like Imran Khan had a huge leap and slammed his foot into the ground.

Only thing I can think of to get it higher is to run in a bit more aggressively and try and bowl fast.

When I am bowling flat out, I can actually hear my left foot bang down on the concrete, which lets me know I am putting all my effort into the delivery.

One tip that I tell everyone is a smooth run up = better ball

I have played on terrible fields with divots on the run up and it throws your momentum completely off, which results in a bad ball.

Whereas running in on concrete, its a smooth approach and balanced delivery strike.

Obviously you cant run in on concrete in a match but the good fields shouldnt have any divots on a bowler's run up

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I have had a long look at the video and here are my findings and tips. Take them all with a pinch of salt though, as I am merely an unqualified observer making observations and cross referencing them with coaching texts.
  • Look to run in, in a straight line.
  • Accelerate rather than decellerate in the run up. This is more important than you actual speed (within reason).
  • Keep the forward lean in the run up, which you have early in the run up until the final step.
  • Consequently begin the gather during this final step rather than slowing down before reaching the crease.
  • Jump forward, rather than up, in the jump.
  • Consequently avoid the below position, by having the 'back' knee power through in the jump. Both legs will eventually cross, but you should have already powered forward
  • In that picture, you bowling hand is loaded up very high. Although this is not an issue in itself, look to get this arm to the hip, via your natural load up, as quickly as possible, before the downswing.
  • You bowl around your front leg, as shown in the below picture.

If this is a 'closed position' of the position of your two legs, then attempt a very slightly open position or less closed position.
  • Lovely follow through, much better than mine;)

bond21

Banned
I have had a long look at the video and here are my findings and tips. Take them all with a pinch of salt though, as I am merely an unqualified observer making observations and cross referencing them with coaching texts.
  • Accelerate rather than decellerate in the run up. This is more important than you actual speed (within reason).
  • Keep the forward lean in the run up, which you have early in the run up until the final step.
  • Consequently begin the gather during this final step rather than slowing down before reaching the crease.
  • Consequently avoid the below position, by having the 'back' knee power through in the jump. Both legs will eventually cross, but you should have already powered forward
  • In that picture, you bowling hand is loaded up very high. Although this is not an issue in itself, look to get this arm to the hip, via your natural load up, as quickly as possible, before the downswing.

If this is a 'closed position' of the position of your two legs, then attempt a very slightly open position or less closed position.
what do you mean get his arm to his hip before the downswing?

The motion from load up to down near the waist before the arm comes over to release the ball IS the downswing.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Okay, Mr Semantics. I just meant to get the arm close to the waist as quick as possible before the final swing of the arm over when the ball is released.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain

what do you mean by having the back knee power through the jump? how would i do that...

thanks for the critiques, it seems like you've spent a bit of time on it, and i appreciate that.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Look to jump for a slightly further distance forward, the knee action should come naturally and should be visible from a side on view of you in your jump.

bond21

Banned
at that pace, if you are going to be bowling short you better get it right
i would advise him not to bowl short ever.

Only reason to bowl short is to frighten the batsman, which only works on mediocre batsmen, or to get an edge off a stray hook shot, or getting him defending near his ribs and maybe popping up a catch.

But at that pace it just wont bounce enough.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I bowl outswingers so i need to pitch it up but when i'm bowling too full i concentrate on making the ball bounce over anything else, that usually shortens it but not by a huge amount that it's too short, so it ends up just back of a length which is perfect.

jonny1408

School Boy/Girl Captain
got a video up finally from past monday. unfortuantely i sprained my ankle after landing wrong towards the end of practice so won't be able to play for a couple weeks or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6OGv2WXsb8

i've also got some videos of the rest of my teammates. keep in mind most of us are american born and raised, so we probably don't have the prettiest of actions....
Im not expert but would say:

1. Try running up faster so your at your peak speed coming into bowl, you look to slow up slightly and look hesitant as you come into your delivery stride.
2. Try following through more
3. You only seem around medium pace (hard to tell on video) you could try running in more of a straight line.

Jakester1288

International Regular
:lol:

I had two videos going at once and you could see you bowling and the batsmen playing and missing and Tony Greig would say:

"Lee thinks he's got him, but no conviction from Gilchrist or the slips."

:lol: