• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

As a batsman, how much more difficult is swing bowling to face?

bond21

Banned
As a bowling all rounder, I would say facing genuine swing bowling with good pace would be 2x more difficult to face than the same bowler bowling straight.

how about you?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If bowlers didn't swing the ball, I don't think I would have been dismissed this season yet. As it stands, I have 0 not outs and an average of just a tick above 5. That says it all.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I can play inswing fine, unless it's extremely late, but if you can bowl an outswinger, I'm toast. Especially in the OD games where you have to force the pace, I can't leave all the outswingers.

MrDucksWorth

Cricket Spectator
If bowlers didn't swing the ball, I don't think I would have been dismissed this season yet. As it stands, I have 0 not outs and an average of just a tick above 5. That says it all.

hmm don't wanna forget those off cutters, that can work when a batsman is letting the out swinger go to the keeper.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Swing bowling is certainly harder to face, there is no way I'm going to edge a ball if it doesn't swing or move..

So as edges make up what as a guess 40% of my dismisals, i'd say it's harder to face, but if a bowler just keeps bowling outswingers all day, you really do get used to it.

bond21

Banned
the hardest ball for me to play is an outswinger starting on about leg stump and swinging away to 4th stump.

Then again I think everyone has trouble with that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
the hardest ball for me to play is an outswinger starting on about leg stump and swinging away to 4th stump.

Then again I think everyone has trouble with that.
AWTA. Especially when the umpires are of a poor standard and give you out when they hit you on the back pad after you come forward, just because the hit in line..

bond21

Banned
yea then you look like a fool when one doesnt swing as much or cuts back off the pitch and hits off stump

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I love being an outswinger bowler. What is annoying is when you get edges but the overweight guy who can't field anywhere else but slip puts them all down.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
I'd much rather face a genuine fastie, than one who can swing it.
The most difficult are those on around off and swinging slightly away, a la McGrath.
Never show the bowler fear, play forcing positive shots. Even if edged, more difficult to catch than weak defensively edged ones.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I love being an outswinger bowler. What is annoying is when you get edges but the overweight guy who can't field anywhere else but slip puts them all down.
Oi, settle down there!!!! 50-50 isn't a bad ratio.....

Swing bowling is plenty harder to face than gun barrel, but i reckon seam movement is harder still.

A lot depends on your style of play I suppose. Some guys are big drivers, or they pick the 1st line and just hit through it. I'm not a great driver of the ball and tend to nudge it around, so I play it pretty late. I find swing upsets me a lot more when I try to up the tempo and play differently to how I normally do.

But, even if you're trying to play the ball alte and not be too expansive, if it goes off the deck, it's really hard to do anything about it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Always thought that was a ridiculous situation, myself. Slip is your most important position - your best slippers should be in the slips at all times, not your least mobile movers.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd much rather face a genuine fastie, than one who can swing it.
The most difficult are those on around off and swinging slightly away, a la McGrath.
Never show the bowler fear, play forcing positive shots. Even if edged, more difficult to catch than weak defensively edged ones.
No way. If you're struggling with the swing then you've got to play it later and with soft hands. Push at the ball and you're toast. Also don't really buy the "if you're gonna go, go hard" strategy. Can pay off if the ball is wide but you can get a fine edge no matter how fast the bat speed is.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Don't mind facing swing, because I'm pretty good at just playing the line and if it moves, I end up playing inside it. Means that I often get a fair bit of stick from the opposition, because I'm "playing and missing" by so much, but I know that I'm not going to nick it. Then if it's short, throw the bat at it. Make them bowl to you. You've always got more time than you think.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, agree. Dont mind facing swing at all.

Geniune pace where I trouble to get my feet moving or something that moves late of the pitch which make adjustment hard are far more troubling.

If you watch the ball, the swinging ball usually gives you a shot that allows you to ease the ball rather than force it.

Josh

International Regular
I am extremely capable of playing outswing which begs the question as to why I have never opened the batting. Inswing I can't play for peanuts.

Why?

I'm a hell of a lot more proficient on the offside than the legside and I GET FORWARD to negate as much swing as possible. So I find outswing rather easy to face, but an inswinger will get me out probably 6 balls out of 10 because of my poor defense.

Son Of Coco

I think it depends on how early it swings (and at what pace obviously). As a bowler I've found seam more effective, but that may be because I always seamed it around until the last couple of years when I developed inswing.

bond21

Banned
yea but a fast bowler who swings it is a lot harder to face than a fast bowler who bowls straight...

theres no comparison. Youre sounding like if you bowl straight you suddenly gain pace...you can bowl fast and swing it too.

Son Of Coco

yea but a fast bowler who swings it is a lot harder to face than a fast bowler who bowls straight...

theres no comparison. Youre sounding like if you bowl straight you suddenly gain pace...you can bowl fast and swing it too.
No, that's why I said it depends on what pace they're bowling. If it swings straight out of the hand though, and it's highly repetitive then it won't be as difficult as someone with variation swinging it late. 130kph and straight would be quick enough to get me 9.9/10. A guy who swings it in third grade is only going to get you out if you go to sleep before it arrives. It's fairly obvious that a guy who bowls fast and swings it a lot is going to be harder to face than a guy who bowls fast and straight.