Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wicketkeeping

State Vice-Captain Captain Cricket's Avatar
    But injuries in sport aren't usually self-inflicted. They are almost always accidental.
    Australian Cricket Team
    Cricket World Cup Champions: 1987, 1999, 2003 and 2007
    ICC Champions Trophy: 2006
    Ashes Champions: 2006/07

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Harden up son. Oh wait....he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cricket View Post
    But injuries in sport aren't usually self-inflicted. They are almost always accidental.
    I have never injured myself from diving, winded yes, injured no. Trust me. You will not get injured from diving.

The worst injury was when I stood up to a fastie. The batsmen swung on a ball on middle/leg, missed it, and I got hit in the face.

The point of practise is to make it more difficult than the match situation, so that you could handle the match situation easily, i.e. if you have a swimming pool, that's not the place to practise your diving

Quote Originally Posted by Engle View Post
    The worst injury was when I stood up to a fastie. The batsmen swung on a ball on middle/leg, missed it, and I got hit in the face.
    Did you learn anything from that?

Anyway some tips if you want to fail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbHW86REAmM

The thing about diving on concrete or other hard surfaces is that you learn how to dive and brace yourself, so that you don't land heavily and jar the ball out when you make contact with the ground.

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cricket View Post
    Did you learn anything from that?
    Yeah. Stick to typing. But not too fast, might injure the pinkie

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    The thing about diving on concrete or other hard surfaces is that you learn how to dive and brace yourself, so that you don't land heavily and jar the ball out when you make contact with the ground.
    Heck, if I only told you the circumstances of where we played and close calls, diving is the least of my probs. Well, OK, once while diving for a ball on a road where we played, almost got run over by a horse-cart !

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    You'll be too cautious though in a real match situation if you practiced diving on concrete though, imo. Actually wicket keeping on grass you should be willing to throw yourself at anything remotely close to you, and sometimes at balls screaming close to the ground. You'll be too cautious doing that sort of thing if you learned to dive on concrete.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

First Class Debutant
    You have to focus on catching the ball, ignoring everything else. Even pain. This is no diff from a fielder catching a ball at full blast. When the catch is taken, the pain will wane.

International Vice-Captain Anna's Avatar
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it

Had a session with a bowling machine at Edgbaston (before I started work) earlier & it went really well; was even better when Keith Piper came down to give me a few tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Personal #1 tip is ensure you don't close your hands too early on catching as that will lead to finger-enders and breakage, which hurts.
    Did that 1st ball & now can't feel the end of the 4th finger on my left hand Oh well!

COME ON YOU BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"One day lad, all this will be yours"
    "What, the curtains?"

I reckon wicketkeeping is about three things:

1. Footwork. Being on the balls of your feet so that you can move quickly and cover a lot of lateral ground. How far you can move will often set you apart from other keepers with similar glovework

2. Body height. As Neil said, stay low for as long as possible. Especially with spinners you need to come up with the ball. In fact when I was keeping I found it easier just to stay low and move your gloves up with the ball without changing body height. So often with inexperienced keepers you see them lift their body height too early and end up with no chance of getting to the ball.

3. Hands. As a wicketkeeper you sole task is to catch the ball. You want to give yourself the best chance of this as well as protecting your hands. For this reason you should get your gloves well in front of your body and look to take the ball on your inside hip so that you have more room to brace the ball. This is where lateral footwork becomes especially important.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

International Vice-Captain Anna's Avatar
    Had a 'keeping session with Keith Piper & Richard Johnson (Warwickshire 2nd team 'keeper) on tues Improved a lot within the one session, so things are looking promising! Will hopefully be having another one this week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information