Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leg-side Batting

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!

Leg-side Batting

Having a major problem with anything either pitching on leg or inswinging to leg. Hingston's bowling at the meetup is a fine example, but at Uni nets today fuller length stuff was doing the same.
    What's the best way to improve picking it up and then playing it for someone whose batting is mediocre?
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

State Vice-Captain Captain Cricket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    then playing it for someone whose batting is mediocre?
    Don't understand what you mean there but I'm assuming you're the one having trouble playing deliveries on leg?

Well I had this exact problem too, not that much long ago but now I've mastered it with some good tips. A few years ago I used to get hit in the nuts with a ball almost every match due to quick bowling on leg stump (I was playing senior 2nds at the age of 15 so it kinda explains itself) and I really wanted to touch up on this issue.

1.If the bowler's not extremely quick, then look at the ball the whole way through until it reaches hitting distance

2.NEVER leg glance a good-length or short-of-a-length delivery otherwise the crown jewels are in threat, only leg glance the half-volleys and full deliveries.

3.If you do come across a good-length delivery at leg stump then put your front foot out and play an on-drive. At first, you'll feel exposed with having your front foot out at a ball heading for your jewels but trust me you will not get hit if you can play a drive with confidence.

Hope the tips help.
    Australian Cricket Team
    Cricket World Cup Champions: 1987, 1999, 2003 and 2007
    ICC Champions Trophy: 2006
    Ashes Champions: 2006/07

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Hard to say without seeing, but a ommon issue people have with leg-side batting is that they let the bat get too far out in front of them.

With most off-side shots you go to the ball, but if the ball is on the pads you need to wait for it to come to you and play it close to under the eyes.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Hard to say without seeing, but a ommon issue people have with leg-side batting is that they let the bat get too far out in front of them.

With most off-side shots you go to the ball, but if the ball is on the pads you need to wait for it to come to you and play it close to under the eyes.
    They'll be a fair amount of video of it whenever Richard/Neil sort it all out.

Think Captain Cricket has probably hit the nail on the head though, i never step to leg so struggle to get the bat past my front pad to play a shot.

Overbalancing, 101.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    I have always had a huge problem with leg side batting on the front foot. Back foot I've always been fine. I remodelled my grip this season and got my top hand around more (to where it should have been) and have really been concentrating on that aspect. It has also helped, as Jack said with my balance. It's amazing how just a small thing can change so much.

Also, a shorter backlift has helped.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Few schools of thought. The one that helped me the most is keeping my hands in close to my body before the stroke is played. As soon as your hands head out towards the off side, away from your hips, then it carries your head over and distorts the angle at which you view the ball. With your weight falling towards the off side, it makes it nigh on impossible to step towards the ball if it's leg side, and play through the leg side with a straight bat, forcing you to play across the line. Keeping your hands in close, and your head pointing towards the bowler will allow you to give yourself access to the ball on leg stump or wider.

Burger Time Champion!
    You could also take guard on leg stump or oustide, which I found helps me a fair bit.

I do that as well, although this is also because I take a small step back and across as my trigger movement.

State Vice-Captain Captain Cricket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    You could also take guard on leg stump or oustide, which I found helps me a fair bit.
    If you're very very strong on your offside then yes, that's an option.

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cricket View Post
    If you're very very strong on your offside then yes, that's an option.
    If any aspect of my batting is considered 'strong' (and it would be stretching it) it would be my offside play.

First Class Debutant
    Each leg-side stroke is different ; no rule covers them all

Leg-glance. I'd suggest playing it with a straight bat, then just before contact, ever so slightly angle the bat towards leg.

Make sure you dont give the 'keeper a catch, nor miss the ball resulting in LBW.

Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    Was taking guard on leg in an effort to help with it, ended up just hitting me on the pads over and over.

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Was taking guard on leg in an effort to help with it, ended up just hitting me on the pads over and over.
    Maybe take guard on off stump.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Get a bigger bat tbh.

Your problem against Hingston at the meet (same as mine) was footwork & weight transfer. On my part I was making a huge conscious effort to get back-and-across with my right foot, but I couldn't stop it from running away towards square leg like a frightened nine-year-old. From there everything obviously goes tits up as your entire bodyweight is a million miles away from where it needs to be.

It took me 50 minutes of throwdowns to fix this with a typical frightened nine-year-old who actually had a bit of talent last summer. For a grossly incompetent twenty-something, it'll take even longer. If I learned one thing from last Sunday, it's that I should really stick behind the stumps - broken digits notwithstanding - than venture in front of them at all often.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information