Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leg-side Batting

Don
    wow u have probs on the leg and i had/have probs on the off. with me i can get to most legside delieveries but when it come to the off side well lol i usually end up just leaving. and if i do go at it the ball gets worked into the on. coaches have been telling me its cuz the bat turns in my hand. anyone got any advice for that?
    WERE LEAN WERE MEAN WERE THE GREEN MACHINE CW GREEN'S OTHER LHB.

State Vice-Captain Captain Cricket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    wow u have probs on the leg and i had/have probs on the off. with me i can get to most legside delieveries but when it come to the off side well lol i usually end up just leaving. and if i do go at it the ball gets worked into the on. coaches have been telling me its cuz the bat turns in my hand. anyone got any advice for that?
    Yeah mate it seems like you need to brush up on the small things that make a big difference.

First of all make sure you have a firm grip on the bat handle, and remember always play an off-side shot by guiding the bat with the top hand (left hand if you're a right handed batsman) and use your bottom hand to exert more force onto the shot (bottom hand is the right hand - as I said - if you're a right hander).

You must also know which ball to play. When facing your teammates in the nets or opponents in a match, make sure you put your front foot out and drive the fuller balls (eg. half volleys). This is how majority of world-class batsman score their runs off the front foot, and it's not hard to do whatsoever. If you're a player that's confident on your front foot then you should do these things well.

Another important factor in playing off-side shots is that before the ball is delivered, make sure your backlift is high up and the face of the bat during the backlift is facing the ground, not tilted on an angle, because this allows you to hit the ball where you want, not where the bat is tilted. Important thing to follow.

Deliveries that are good length or short and outside-off can be left alone or a back-foot drive/cutshot can be played. Once again it depends what kind of batsman you are Don but I don't know but I'll go on anyway: You must use your feet at all times. Your feet are an indicator of your playing form. The in-form players of the world use their feet excessively to get into the right position and assist in playing their preferred shot.

Leaving a delivery because you're unsure is fine. If you can't play a shot or you find that your timing/backlift has gone wrong for that delivery, just leave it.

Hope these tips help, mate.
    Australian Cricket Team
    Cricket World Cup Champions: 1987, 1999, 2003 and 2007
    ICC Champions Trophy: 2006
    Ashes Champions: 2006/07

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    I can play full on the off stump perfectly, about the only thing i can do right. Anything else and i'm rubbish.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Well you should also be able to play full deliveries outside off as well if you use your feet right.

Don
    thanks alot the foot movement is there cuz if i need to i can usually get behind the ball. i think its the front foot and the grip that needs fine tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    thanks alot the foot movement is there cuz if i need to i can usually get behind the ball. i think its the front foot and the grip that needs fine tuning
    Remember your backlift too, the bat must be parallel to the ground when the bowler is running in and must be lifted high just as the ball is in flight, following through the whole way if you want to play a drive.

Cricket Spectator
    Try a leg stump guard.

First movement back foot across. Do not plant your front foot until you have judged the line of the ball. Plant your front foot just outside the line of the ball and play as straight as possible.

Save leg glances etc until you are well set in your innings.

Play straight until you are seeing the ball like a beach ball.

With a bit of practice I'm sure you will find you will get out less by LBW or getting bowled.
    Track your personal cricket statistics online, free! - crictrack

Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny44 View Post
    Try a leg stump guard.

First movement back foot across. Do not plant your front foot until you have judged the line of the ball. Plant your front foot just outside the line of the ball and play as straight as possible.

Save leg glances etc until you are well set in your innings.

Play straight until you are seeing the ball like a beach ball.

With a bit of practice I'm sure you will find you will get out less by LBW or getting bowled.
    I play straight to a fault, nearly never play a cross bat shot, also i've never been out lbw. It's certainly a footwork issue and the planting down of the front foot throwing me off.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    I play straight to a fault, nearly never play a cross bat shot, also i've never been out lbw. It's certainly a footwork issue and the planting down of the front foot throwing me off.
    Jinxed yourself here imo. First innings of next season - watch out.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Boredmeeting Champion!
    Been a couple in the nets where i've stuck my foot out to the pitch of the ball only for the ball to land on my foot, but not done that in a game yet.

If it's a fuller delivery like that then look to leg-glance it.

First Class Debutant
    Be careful not to attempt the LG on a ball landing close to foot. It may carry to the 'keeper for a catch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information