• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast V Spin

Unspinable

Cricket Spectator
This is a question someone asked me the other day why i do alot of bowlers bowl pace when 1. Good batsmen get used to pace really quickly when everyones bowling it and
2. spinners take more wickets

I know that most people find spin hard but i can spin really well and it isnt as tiring as pace

Any Suggestions?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Same reason people cbf to be wicketkeepers. Only 1 spot in a side for them.

Matteh

Spinners tend to take the most wickets though, but then they can bowl 40 overs in a day easily enough.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Fast bowlers also make the best use of a new ball. Spinners can't bowl swinging deliveries and also can't grip the ball well onto the pitch with a new seam.

bond21

Banned
pace bowlers win matches.

unless you have an outstanding spin bowler like Warne or Murali who can take as many wickets as the quicks, they are generally used to try something different if the quicks arent getting wickets.

Unspinable

Cricket Spectator
All Very True i guess my team and the few others ive played lately just have average seamers

but what happens once the ball gets older? Pacers cant swing it as well and the batsmen get used to it?

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
All Very True i guess my team and the few others ive played lately just have average seamers

but what happens once the ball gets older? Pacers cant swing it as well and the batsmen get used to it?
Well then spinners come into play. If you play 50-80 over cricket for your club then it's most likely you'll have two spinners who bowl 7-10 overs each in 50 over cricket and 15-20 overs in 80 over cricket as the ball takes a long time to reach that stage where the seam wears away and the ball develops roughness. But you can always keep one side shiny to generate some late reverse swing (which I don't think your seamers will be able to do considering you rate them 'average').

Matteh

That's when variations come into play, slower balls/cutters etc.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
This is a question someone asked me the other day why i do alot of bowlers bowl pace when 1. Good batsmen get used to pace really quickly when everyones bowling it and
2. spinners take more wickets
Of the 21 bowlers who've taken more than 300 wkts, 17 of them are pacers.

Tho the list is headed by spinners who have gone on longer than the pacers obv due to the lesser demands on the body

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Spinners (unless they're freaks) rely almost exclusively on the batsmen making mistakes and mullering their half-trackers down deep mid wicket's throat. Fast bowlers make things happen.

Children have no patience and therefore want to make everything happen. It's also one of the most entrancing sights in the game to see a fast bowler knocking off and middle out of the ground. I certainly got a hell of lot less appreciation for my wickets. Particularly after my long hop found a fielder for the fourth time in the day.

Unspinable

Cricket Spectator
Ive seen others that dont play international do it as well just because people havent seen it doesnt meen it doesnt happen

Unspinable

Cricket Spectator
Yeah i hoped so but i found bowling them around the legs is pretty fun to do if a little bit hurting in the wrist.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Also depends on where you are. On certain pitches, the spinners might get more value. At the international level, fast bowlers tend to trump spinners almost everywhere, but if you're growing up on the subcontinent, the ball will swing for the first eight overs, and then you're cannon fodder, so spin will be more useful in terms of winning a match. Almost everywhere else, fast bowlers will win out.

kenny44

Cricket Spectator
It comes down to the pitches in different countries.

New Zealand have never had world-class spinners (except for Daniel Vettori, which in itself is arguable whether he is world class) because the pitches in New Zealand are not conducive to spin. Slow, low seaming pitches offer very little for spinners.

Pitches in the sub continent and to a lesser extent Australia offer big rewards to spinners.