• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Falling away at delivery

bond21

Banned
I have been told I am falling away at delivery occasionally.

Does anyone have tips for staying upright when delivering the ball?

Should I try and brush my ear with my bowling arm as its coming over?

Josh

International Regular
I have been told I am falling away at delivery occasionally.

Does anyone have tips for staying upright when delivering the ball?

Should I try and brush my ear with my bowling arm as its coming over?
Just practice as much as you can at having your arm as straight as possible. At training, don't try and bowl too fast; just work on line, length & rhythm for a few weeks or a month or so. Try and get someone to have a look at your action and give you some suggestions on how you can improve.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I sometimes have a similar problem with falling away at the crease, as a spinner. Obviously it's slightly different, but when this happens I think about keeping a strong trunk and trying to make sure that my head is upright and my eyes level, because if I do this then my body has to be in an upright straight position, heading towards the batsman as it should be.

bond21

Banned
Yea i was told by an experienced bowler than my bowling arm goes a bit roundarm-ish when I fall away, and then the ball goes down legside.

He said to keep it as straight as possible.

Just asking here to see if anyone else has advice. Thanks for the replies so far.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If you keep your front leg straight instead of bent, then your body won't collapse.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea i was told by an experienced bowler than my bowling arm goes a bit roundarm-ish when I fall away, and then the ball goes down legside.

He said to keep it as straight as possible.

Just asking here to see if anyone else has advice. Thanks for the replies so far.
Had that a lot when i was younger, especially when i was bowling as a front-on bowler, basically did a lot of practice with keeping the bowling arm straight as it comes over.

bond21

Banned
so i should bring my arm over straight past my ear, and follow through across my body basically?

bond21

Banned
oh i misread your first post, you said front arm.

So getting my front arm up as high as possible would keep me more upright, correct?

sorry to keep asking questions, i just need to be sure im practising stuff that will help

Last edited:

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Correct, and it would also ensure your delivery is more accurate and also accounts for a few yards of pace. When I mean front arm 'up' I'm referring to you placing the arm as high as possible and facing the arm towards the batsman when you're bringing it down.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Correct, and it would also ensure your delivery is more accurate and also accounts for a few yards of pace. When I mean front arm 'up' I'm referring to you placing the arm as high as possible and facing the arm towards the batsman when you're bringing it down.
Yeah, left arm is very important when tying to bowl quick and accurate. I coach it as coming down 'like an axe chopping through off-stump"

But also look at your feet. This could fit in with the thread on upper body usage in the action. If the feet are pointing in the same direction then 'falling away' can be the in the effort to get a form of body rotation. See here. It can be because the feet do not allow normal body and hip rotation.

bond21

Banned
about the front arm locking into the trunk, I have never really been taught this properly.

Coaches just say pull down, and almost lock it into the ribs....

Where exactly should it be locked at your side when you bring it down?

bond21

Banned
yea i know that im asking about the front arm.

In the delivery stride you pull it down hard and lock it into the trunk, everyone seems to do it differently.

Im asking where do you lock the front arm when you pull it down when you release the ball? I have never really been taught it people just say pull it down hard and "lock it in"

Do you lock it into the ribs, hip or what?

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Ohh ok the front arm, the front arm must go down straight (no particular place, just how you're comfortable) and always be 180 degrees to the bowling arm (so they must be opposite each other except in a straight line).

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Couldn't agree more with the left-arm comments. Was really bad in the past falling away, mainly because my front arm wasn't doing enough. Often fell down the legside because of this.

Vids would be the most helpful really.

bond21

Banned
I also tend to drag my back foot as im releasing the ball, should i try and drive the knee through like brett lee, that would increase accuracy wouldnt it, it feels like it keeps my more upright.