• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why wont pvc spin

Unspinable

Cricket Spectator
This is a question that i want to know after i had an argument with my parents
Will a pvc ball with no seam turn because i can get a leather cricket ball to turn about 40 degrees with my legspin but almost NOTHING with a pvc ball
Any suggestions?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's because what provides you spin from the leather ball is the gripping of the seam on the pitch. A PVC ball without any stitching/raised seam will just slide straight on when it lands on a hard surface such as turf. That's why bowlers who bowl "flying saucers" with a leather ball don't get any spin, because the ball lands on the face of the ball, reproducing the same effect as bowling with a PVC ball.

someblokedave

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Plastic balls will spin, but why are you using a plastic ball? But if for some reason you've got to use some kind of plastic ball e.g. cos you're forced to practice on tarmac or concrete your best bet is a dimpled hockey ball as they're the same size and weight. But this is only an option for bowling practice I wouldn't advise hitting one with a bat unless you want the bat to break pretty quickly.