• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best way to turn a cricket ball

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
I have just started bowling leg spin for my club after a few years bowling pace, and I'm having trouble turning the ball. My action is normal, similar to Shane Warne's and I follow all the tips like 'Put all your weight on your left leg while following through' and 'Spin the ball from 6o'clock to 9o'clock' but I still seem to be getting minimal turn. I've tried visiting all the sites with tips but they all tell you how to bowl leggies, not how to spin the cricket ball with maximum effect.

Any tips on turning the ball a long way? Would be much appreciated.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'll throw out a couple of tips, if you like the sound of 'em then try 'em.

• Basically, getting as much spin on the ball as you possibly can is all about effective, efficient and powerful use of your body, to help generate as many revoloutions on the ball as possible.
  • Having your front arm reach upwards in a direction towards the batsman and pull downwards in a straight line.
  • Following this, your back leg pushing right through the crease and snapping your body around, from a side on position when bowling, and rotating through the crease until the back foot gets well in front of what was your front leg.
  • Powerful gather, and a powerful follow through of your arms so that they reach to your left hip.
  • Remember that the quicker that you bowl, the less likely that you are to get the ball to grip on the surface. When you go for a bigger spinning deliver, have more sidespin (so that the seam is more at a "10 o'clock" position rather than at "11 o'clock") and make it a bit slower, give it time to kiss the surface and let the seam grip.
  • The other thing I'd mention is that if you do get a "big spinning delivery" in your armoury, it is often more effective to keep as a weapon rather than as a stock ball.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It would, like most things, be handy to see video - but the single thing I would look at checking out is the angle of the seam when you release the ball.

It's all very well giving it a big rip, but if you've got the back of your hand facing out to mid-off, the seam comes out at 11 o'clock (pointing between slip and mid-on), then no matter how many revs you put on it you'll just end up sending down toppies.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Some god advice already.

Best little tidbit I heard for a leg spinner is, when releaing the all, make sure the back of the hand is facing the head.

Unspinable

Cricket Spectator
I Suggest going to you tube and looking at the terry jener ( cant spell ) vids it gave me and extra 20 degrees of turn

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My 'Muralis' turn a fair amount, only problem is the 100 odd degrees of flex in the arm.

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
Every spare moment you have,watching tv,sitting around etc take a ball and practice ripping it from one hand to the other. The idea is to get muscle memory into your wrist and fingers, so that when it comes to nets and games your wrist action should be ingrained and effortless. Once you have this going then it is time to concentrate on body position,follow through etc.
I found this to be a great practice and my consistency in pitching the ball in the right areas improved out of sight because I could concentrate on where the ball was going to pitch instead of worrying what my hand was doing.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Friction also has a small part to do with how many revolutions you can get. I can turn it a lot further using three fingers instead of three fingers and a thumb.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have just started bowling leg spin for my club after a few years bowling pace, and I'm having trouble turning the ball. My action is normal, similar to Shane Warne's and I follow all the tips like 'Put all your weight on your left leg while following through' and 'Spin the ball from 6o'clock to 9o'clock' but I still seem to be getting minimal turn. I've tried visiting all the sites with tips but they all tell you how to bowl leggies, not how to spin the cricket ball with maximum effect.

Any tips on turning the ball a long way? Would be much appreciated.
OMFG!!!

Captain Cricket IS Cameron White!!!

Jammy Dodgers

Cricket Spectator
im a legspinner n one of my weapons is rippin the ball. the furthest I've turnt a ball is 2 n a half feet probably more. so wot i could recommend is as the others say get the ball with sidespin n keep a ****ed wrist and etc but i don't wanna impose myself but try varying ur tightness and loosness of ur grip make sure ur gripin the ball right for a start. But my grip is different i like mine quite loose but my thumb is right on the ball cradling on the the (drum stick) part of the thumb. not resting n my thumb plays a key role wen bowlin a leggie. as i bowl my thumb pushes the ball up to my spinnin finger to get maximum spin aswell as the wrist generatin revs. then u pivit rotate ur hips n shoulders n follow thru. but as some said on her strenghten ur fingers n wrist n bowl loopy n slow n u'l get more turn n pro curve if the seam is at 45 degrees. I'l post up vids of me bowlin soon wen its sunny lol

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The best way to control the spin is to change the angle of release. 45 deg release is the usual angle. when it is close to 60 it has more side spin. when it is close to 20 it has more over spin.

Cameron-Moss

U19 12th Man
I've had the same problem. Just try this.

Bowl slower, and just try spinning as hard as you can, but not as too hard you hurt your wrist. Once you've got the accuracy down, work on spin, then speed. Thats what I did, and I can spin it quite far, with accuracy and speed, hope it helps.