• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2008 bowling

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
You bowl like a 15 year old - all pump and no muscle. Sort your run-up out, FFS.

:ph34r:

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Okay, haven't bowled in nearly a year, and I know you don't need to apply shine to a windball, so go easy.. I know stuff like head position is horrible, but just fancied seeing if I could still turn my arm over..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2KtOlUih3E
With your run-up, start off slow and build up gradually, by the time you come up to the bowling crease you should be at 90% speed and should have taken a big step on the bowling crease to provide a good 'launching' foundation.

But you could definitely replace Ryan Sidebottom in the current English test team :laugh:

all pump and no muscle
And what's that supposed to mean? Is that some kind of Pommy phrase?:mellow:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
With your run-up, start off slow and build up gradually, by the time you come up to the bowling crease you should be at 90% speed and should have taken a big step on the bowling crease to provide a good 'launching' foundation.

But you could definitely replace Ryan Sidebottom in the current English test team :laugh:

And what's that supposed to mean? Is that some kind of Pommy phrase?:mellow:
No it's just Voltman being, well Voltman.

bond21

Banned
you look as if you are trying to run in too fast, almost sprinting in and you do not have a smooth run up.

Keep your arms tucked in close as you run in and slow down your run if you have to, to get better rhythm.

Action looks fine, and yea build momentum up, but dont start too slowly unless you have a 30 metre run up.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair enough, and by that you mean I'm basically not getting anything out of it?
Not much. From where I am sitting, your run up is so violent, that you stop completely for a microsecond to compose yourself before the jump (at 32s I believe). At this point, all the momentum seems to disappear. However you run is irrelevant, you just need a run up where it can be a smooth transition into the jump. Look at Brett Lee, for example, his arms barely change during his run up to the beginning of the jump.

Your run up is not awful though and does not affect a bowler all that much. In all honesty, you have a very good action and your head position is brilliant, so is your follow through. If you need help with your action, I advise you seek a professional coach since nothing is clearly wrong with it.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Too rushed. Doesn't look like you're in control.
Stop at top of run up a tad to determine the type of delivery.
All else fairly OK, tho there seems to be some jerky movement, cant put my finger to it.
Also, why practice in a parking lot ? too many distractions

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Okay, haven't bowled in nearly a year, and I know you don't need to apply shine to a windball, so go easy.. I know stuff like head position is horrible, but just fancied seeing if I could still turn my arm over..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2KtOlUih3E
To me it seems like you throw your head back a little and maybe fall away a bit, but then I may have no idea! Pace is ok though :happy: What's your control like?

bond21

Banned
obviously we cant tell, but you look like you have decent pace, and you have an action like Charl Langeveldt, which is not a bad thing.

Bowling fast is like being a sprinter, sure people run with arms flailing all over the place and leaning back and that, but all the top sprinters look in control, even though theyre going absolutely flat out in the finals.

Good example is maybe Sreesanth a while ago, apparently hes improved but his run up wasnt rhythmic enough so he didnt bowl great.

Brett Lee has a great run up.

Run up is usually seen as a way to get to the crease to actually bowl, but your "bowling action" actually starts at your runup, because your run up does affect your release.

I tell you, when you are running in smoothly and in control, you will bowl 100% better.

For example, I played on a field last year, my bowling run up had divots and was uneven, i couldnt bowl at all that day. (it was an unusually bad run up)

Whereas at our training nets, the run up is concrete and I run in smoothly and bowl faster and with better control, all because of a better run up.

Another tip is attack the bowling crease. You look more front on than side on, so you need a fast run up if you want to bowl max pace. Side on bowlers dont have to run in as fast, look at jeff thomson and shaun tait, because they get power from their chest and shoulders.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You're getting a lot of feedback here :)

and all of us can look quick if we place the camera 12 yards away from where we bowl from :p

Seriously though, the angle and the fact you cant see where you are aiming makes any indepth analysis very difficult. However, from the limited analysis possible Id say your feet look in good positions and the run-up is certainly more purposeful than before.

There looks more oomph than the previous video posted :)

Matteh

Worst action, pitch it up more, pitch it way outside off stump less but at the same time less near my face too.

Matteh

Was batting with possibly the worst bat in existence, especially given that it only has one bottom corner.