• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Back foot

bond21

Banned
When you land your back foot parallel to the crease, should you be landing on the flat part of it or the toes?

I have been told I am landing it better when I plant the whole foot down, and have been told I am not getting completely side on when im on my toes.

Also what are some ways to get your back foot to land consistently parallel to the crease? Higher jump? what else?

edynamo

Cricket Spectator
I tend to leave bowlers in their 'natural' back foot position to be honest unless they are beyond side on. I think Brett Lee lands on his toes rather than the whole foot but others (like Hoogard i think) do land on the whole foot. Do you struggle with balance through the crease?

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Gosh, if you're going to be so meticulous about this, you might lose focus on playing the ball. I'd say go on the back foot with whatever you're comfortable with.

Physically, it makes sense to plant the full foot down, but not all bfoot strokes are the same.
In my days, I just went back and played the shot with what came naturally. Sometimes I sense there's too much overcoaching on what should be pointed where.
If every batsmen did this, there would'nt be so many diff batting styles.

bond21

Banned
I tend to leave bowlers in their 'natural' back foot position to be honest unless they are beyond side on. I think Brett Lee lands on his toes rather than the whole foot but others (like Hoogard i think) do land on the whole foot. Do you struggle with balance through the crease?
no, but people have told me that when i try and land on my back foot, its landing parallel to the crease, and when i land on my toes, it doesnt get as parallel.

edynamo

Cricket Spectator
so you think you bowl better when more of the back foot makes contact with the ground? I tend to get bowlers to walk through their actions to try and get used to it as you have time to get into the correct positions. Might be worth trying to video your bowling though to see exactly what is happening - the naked eyes can often miss bits and also to ensure that your hips and shoulders remain in line if you alter your back foot contact position

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Seeing as this thread is about back foot landing when you're bowling, I think you're doing the overanalysis!

To improve the consistency of a movement, you'd have to isolate it from your action and consciously practice it to refine the muscle memory. Take it from a walk through, then two steps and extend it backwards.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
When you land your back foot parallel to the crease, should you be landing on the flat part of it or the toes?

I have been told I am landing it better when I plant the whole foot down, and have been told I am not getting completely side on when im on my toes.

Also what are some ways to get your back foot to land consistently parallel to the crease? Higher jump? what else?
3 points,

a) Why worry about getting completely side on? Few bowlers do

b) Few bowlers get their backfoot parallel with the crease

c) Id favour the flat part rather than the toes as the toes cushion the impact and steal momentum through the action.

bond21

Banned
3 points,

a) Why worry about getting completely side on? Few bowlers do

b) Few bowlers get their backfoot parallel with the crease

c) Id favour the flat part rather than the toes as the toes cushion the impact and steal momentum through the action.
I know but i want to avoid a mixed action.

If I bowl normally, my back foot is about 45 degrees.

and I am looking over my front bowling arm so i thought my back foot had to be parallel to the crease to line the hips and shoulders up.

edynamo

Cricket Spectator
I think if you want to check for a mixed action you should film your action - will be a lot easier to see from that! Do you get back pain currently?

bond21

Banned
no, only time i did was recently at a training session that went for over an hour, and i was basically bowling continuously for that hour so i think i strained a muscle, its fine now though