Thread: Back foot

Banned

Back foot

When you land your back foot parallel to the crease, should you be landing on the flat part of it or the toes?

I have been told I am landing it better when I plant the whole foot down, and have been told I am not getting completely side on when im on my toes.

Also what are some ways to get your back foot to land consistently parallel to the crease? Higher jump? what else?

Cricket Spectator
    Do you have any footage of your action you can post?

Banned
    no i dont.

Basically I am trying to get my back foot consistently parallel to the crease

Cricket Spectator
    I tend to leave bowlers in their 'natural' back foot position to be honest unless they are beyond side on. I think Brett Lee lands on his toes rather than the whole foot but others (like Hoogard i think) do land on the whole foot. Do you struggle with balance through the crease?

First Class Debutant
    Gosh, if you're going to be so meticulous about this, you might lose focus on playing the ball. I'd say go on the back foot with whatever you're comfortable with.

Physically, it makes sense to plant the full foot down, but not all bfoot strokes are the same.
    In my days, I just went back and played the shot with what came naturally. Sometimes I sense there's too much overcoaching on what should be pointed where.
    If every batsmen did this, there would'nt be so many diff batting styles.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by edynamo View Post
    I tend to leave bowlers in their 'natural' back foot position to be honest unless they are beyond side on. I think Brett Lee lands on his toes rather than the whole foot but others (like Hoogard i think) do land on the whole foot. Do you struggle with balance through the crease?
    no, but people have told me that when i try and land on my back foot, its landing parallel to the crease, and when i land on my toes, it doesnt get as parallel.

Cricket Spectator
    so you think you bowl better when more of the back foot makes contact with the ground? I tend to get bowlers to walk through their actions to try and get used to it as you have time to get into the correct positions. Might be worth trying to video your bowling though to see exactly what is happening - the naked eyes can often miss bits and also to ensure that your hips and shoulders remain in line if you alter your back foot contact position

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Seeing as this thread is about back foot landing when you're bowling, I think you're doing the overanalysis!

To improve the consistency of a movement, you'd have to isolate it from your action and consciously practice it to refine the muscle memory. Take it from a walk through, then two steps and extend it backwards.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    When you land your back foot parallel to the crease, should you be landing on the flat part of it or the toes?

I have been told I am landing it better when I plant the whole foot down, and have been told I am not getting completely side on when im on my toes.

Also what are some ways to get your back foot to land consistently parallel to the crease? Higher jump? what else?
    3 points,

a) Why worry about getting completely side on? Few bowlers do

b) Few bowlers get their backfoot parallel with the crease

c) Id favour the flat part rather than the toes as the toes cushion the impact and steal momentum through the action.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    3 points,

a) Why worry about getting completely side on? Few bowlers do

b) Few bowlers get their backfoot parallel with the crease

c) Id favour the flat part rather than the toes as the toes cushion the impact and steal momentum through the action.
    I know but i want to avoid a mixed action.

If I bowl normally, my back foot is about 45 degrees.

and I am looking over my front bowling arm so i thought my back foot had to be parallel to the crease to line the hips and shoulders up.

Cricket Spectator
    I think if you want to check for a mixed action you should film your action - will be a lot easier to see from that! Do you get back pain currently?

Banned
    no, only time i did was recently at a training session that went for over an hour, and i was basically bowling continuously for that hour so i think i strained a muscle, its fine now though

Cricket Spectator
    Can you get yourself videoed?

Banned
    i could just make a quick video with a mobile so yea.

Cricket Spectator
    and then either post it on here or get your coach to have a look at it?

Thread Information