• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing spin bowling

bond21

Banned
no decent off spinner will give yuo one wide outside off so forget about the cut shot 99% of the time until he bowls a bad ball.

I dont think an offspinner is anywhere near as good as a leg spinner.

Josh

International Regular
no decent off spinner will give yuo one wide outside off so forget about the cut shot 99% of the time until he bowls a bad ball.

I dont think an offspinner is anywhere near as good as a leg spinner.
Obviously; but I find leg-spinners more predictable. Granted, I am playing a low level of cricket.

Scotty

Banned
i usually get my front foot out to the pitch of the delivery and play straight bat shots. not the most confident player against spin, so usually get bogged down and wait for the ball down leg side to put down to fine leg or the odd loose or short bowl outside off.

but yeah, front foot out to the pitch of the ball to anything full is the way i play. if he's bowling a tad short i'll come out to it and play it with my pad.

DJellett

International Debutant
Generally my first movement is to go slightly across to the off side with my back foot, to both cover spin and open up the body for shorter balls. However it depends on the length of the ball...usually I wait and see.

Trying to pre-meditate spinners in dangerous, but sometimes can be rewarding if you know what you're doing. I will often pick a few full balls, dance and guide through mid-on. The bowler, thinking he has me workd, pitches it short - whcih I what I expected, back foot and BANG.

Another one clever bowlers might use is the subtle variation in this scenario - they pitch a shorter, faster one which you open up to and hit away through the leg side. Smarter bowlers will bowl a ball that looks much the same a few balls later, but it in fact tad faster and straighter. Caught at midwicket can often result.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If offie is getting bounce, that is a night mare.You have to practice tucking the ball towards midwicket to backward square leg. If you play late, ball will go to back ward square leg, and if played earlt towards mid wicket. Practice it both off back foot and the front foot.That will help you to get off the strike and the other bloke handle it.

I was a number 8-10 during my playing days, I use "block, block, block, . . . . . , block and slog" method to score off the spinners. I was very good in using my feet so most of the time ball disappeared to the boundry when I decided to hammer it.

DJellett

International Debutant
i usually get my front foot out to the pitch of the delivery and play straight bat shots. not the most confident player against spin, so usually get bogged down and wait for the ball down leg side to put down to fine leg or the odd loose or short bowl outside off.

but yeah, front foot out to the pitch of the ball to anything full is the way i play. if he's bowling a tad short i'll come out to it and play it with my pad.
Scotty: Too Hotty

someblokedave

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Play it on length, don't worry about much else imo. Leg spinners are fairly easy to cut away for four if you wait for the right ball.
This kind of nonesense is the same reason all the highest wicket takers including myself in my club hold all the clubs bowling records year on year and have the best stats.

chyickenkeev

to attack a spinner, all you need is a few shots

sweep/slog sweep=anything down the leg side
reverse sweep=occaisional off spin delivery outside off stump.
charge down the wicket=anything straight.(you dont have to slog it over the in field to charge, you can wait and play a normal drive so you will be safe from a stumping becuase your technique is good.
back foot glance/drive good for anything the bowler sends down
kevin pieterson says when tacling spinner "get on the back foot as much as possible"
kp is a man u can trust.

someblokedave

Yeah maybe if you're Kevin Pieterson that might be the case, but I take a wicket every 15.69 balls. 21.85% of my overs are maidens and I've only been bowling wrist spin for 2 seasons. Added to that I advocate using Wrist Spinners as attack bowlers and because my stats are fairly good I sometimes open the bowling alongside the fasts, so it's not like I'm picking off the Bunnies.

As a internationally recognised good batsman used to say.............

"No ball bowled is as difficult as one which leaves the bat and goes towards the slips. The really good leg-break beats them all.” - Sir Donald Bradman.

My experience and seemingly his experience suggest otherwise than your experience, it maybe that you've yet to come up against a good Wrist Spinner?

chyickenkeev

leg spin is over rated in its difficulty for batsmen *in my opinion*
thinkj about it, the ball is turning AWAY from you, so you dont have to play it, therfore you wont go out, a leggy may think "ooo great, maiden!" but realy, the caotain will take you off if oyu havnt got the batsman out.

someblokedave

Mate at a wicket every 15 balls I'm not getting taken off and I'm not the best Wrist Spinner in my team. You can't leave the ball because it's heading for your Off-Stump, as far as you're concerned you've got to stick the bat there. As soon as you've done that you're a gonner, if you leave it, I do the same thing leg break, leg break, leg break and then a wrong un and you're gone. You've obviously never faced a half decent wrist spinner.

chyickenkeev

if ur leg breaks are clipping off stump every time thenyou are pitching outside leg, according to my batting plan, im gunna have to sweep you, or charge down the wicket and slog it over over mid wicket.

and there are many good leg spinners in my club, it seems to be an essential skill to have...even if you are a fast bolwer,

wats your bowling average?

Last edited:

Jakester1288

International Regular
Just a tad late, but if you can, hit over the infield then when the field goes back, you can play singles to the deep fielders. I did this yesterday to a gentle offie who doesn't spin it, I luckily already had the fielders back for the spinner, so I played one big shot to long off to make sure they stay back, then knocked around a single or two before I got out at the other end.

someblokedave

if ur leg breaks are clipping off stump every time thenyou are pitching outside leg, according to my batting plan, im gunna have to sweep you, or charge down the wicket and slog it over over mid wicket.

and there are many good leg spinners in my club, it seems to be an essential skill to have...even if you are a fast bolwer,

wats your bowling average?
Yeah not so good 12.71 last season.

chyickenkeev

12.71!? thats pretty good.
dont dont know anyone with an average that low!
im a left arm finger spinner, so you coulkd class me as a pretty much under average leggie, wat tactics do you use?

someblokedave

I have a good grasp of most of the variations including some really obscure ones, but 95% of my wickets come about through accuracy using Leg Breaks. I pitch the ball on the off-stump around about 4 yards from the stumps, I vary the speed, flight and turn off the wicket. The line and length forces the batsman into a situation whereby he needs to play it in case it either doesn't turn or I bowl a Wrong Un. If they are half decent I get a wrong un in early-ish to let them know I've got it as a variation, most of the time they then play a little more cautiously. It's the accuracy that's the key. But I spend absolutely hours and hours and hours practicing. But like everyone I have bad games - I'm not so good with Lefties.

someblokedave

I was reading back over chickens comments about batting against the spinners. I've just watched through some video footage of the highlights of the 1st test in Adelaide (2007-08) where Pieterson and Sherminator faced Warne doing exactly as I've suggested above. But Pieterson was causing Warne some real problems and getting on top of him. Pieterson and later Collingwood once Bell had gone were waiting to see where the ball was pitching and then off the backfoot really late were hitting the ball down and through the off-side. But then Pieterson and Collingwood are very fast and at the top of their game and the commentators were suggesting that Warne at this stage was knackered and bowling too short.

I think if I faced similar batting and they were taking me to task like that I'd have to change the way I bowl - I'd just mix it up. Thing is watching test matches Warne obviously had a plan but the plan may have been executed over a period of 7-8 overs if not more, I've read that Grimmetts bowling plans went across 10's of overs 40+ overs in some cases, which is obviously not something the likes of me will ever get to do - I'm lucky to get 8 overs in a game!

In order to stay on and get my usual 5 or 6 overs I'd have to be far more effective and if the batsman was playing me in that manner I'd have to do something different. But more likely it'd be a very rare day to face such a batsman at club level?

chyickenkeev

well, considering the back foot drive is easier to sortof change qwuickly, say if u bowled a googly i could adjust to that wihtout loosing my wicket , its a hell of alot esier than adjusting on the front foot.

Benaud

Banned
Josh, if your in all sorts whenever the average off spinner comes on to bowl, then i'm afraid its time you gave up on cricket.

chyickenkeev

Josh, if your in all sorts whenever the average off spinner comes on to bowl, then i'm afraid its time you gave up on cricket.
well no, every batsman has a weakness, because every batsman is different, no playr is perfect otherwise they wouldnt go out.

Last edited: