• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inswingers

bond21

Banned
Im a natural inswing bowler, I bowl some really good balls, but I am a bit inconsistent with my line.

Should I be trying to go wide of the crease and loop it in, or go close to the stumps, angle it away and swing it back.

I was down at the nets and was trying close to the stumps, it feels weird because you basically have to push the ball to the offside to allow for the swing. But when I get it right it is a really good ball.

Problem with wide on the crease is you have to aim out so wide and if it doesnt swing, its a wide, and if you get it too straight it goes way down leg side.

Perhaps I just need to get used to bowling closer to the stumps and pushing it to allow it to swing back. It is a much better ball I think. I was a bit inaccurate trying it but thats probably got to do with what im used to.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Im a natural inswing bowler, I bowl some really good balls, but I am a bit inconsistent with my line.

Should I be trying to go wide of the crease and loop it in, or go close to the stumps, angle it away and swing it back.

I was down at the nets and was trying close to the stumps, it feels weird because you basically have to push the ball to the offside to allow for the swing. But when I get it right it is a really good ball.

Problem with wide on the crease is you have to aim out so wide and if it doesnt swing, its a wide, and if you get it too straight it goes way down leg side.

Perhaps I just need to get used to bowling closer to the stumps and pushing it to allow it to swing back. It is a much better ball I think. I was a bit inaccurate trying it but thats probably got to do with what im used to.
Are you left arm or right arm bowler?

iamdavid

International Debutant
I was exactly the same when I was younger (was apparently because I unintentionally fell away to the offside in my bowling action meaning my arm was past the perpendicular so I could only swing it in).

Once you are very comfortable with your whole bowling process its a handy tool to alternate between wide of the crease and in close as the batsman can misjudge the subtle variations in angle and swing, but while you're young and still working things out I wouldnt do that as it can muck you up.
And if you had to pick between wide on the crease and close to the stumps, really its a personal preference thing, but I'd say get in close as it gives you a better shout with the lbw's and you also have your momentum moving in a straight line, straight through the crease towards the batsman rather than at at angle, can help tighten up your action.

Having to adjust your line is the price you pay for being able to swing the ball, but really it shouldnt take long to work out how much the ball is swinging and know where you have to aim if you're to hit the top of off stump.
A really big weapon if you're a big swinger of the ball, particularly at lower levels, is the ball which dosent swing, can be done simply by holding the ball across the seam (grip can be changed at the last second), used sparingly its a big wicket taker as the batsman notice you're swinging every ball and they adjust to it but when they get one which holds its line outside off they'll poke at it tentitively and you'll get alot of outside edges.

bond21

Banned
Are you left arm or right arm bowler?

right arm bowler.

I was bowling close to the stumps at practise, the ball angled across and then darted back in, cutting towards leg stump aswell.

Only problem was it felt a bit like I was sort of pushing too far to the off side instead of bowling straight down the pitch.

Could be just cause im not used to it, i duno

to iamdavid, when you go close to the stumps, you aim well outside off stump dont you, so in effect you're pushing the ball a bit aswell. Is it just cause im not used to doing it or is it wrong?

bond21

Banned
my main problem is my consistency.

I swing the ball a fair bit, and if i get the line slightly wrong, it is an ordinary or terrible ball.

ie too straight it will go well down legside, too wide outside off it wont swing as much and will be a wide.

iamdavid

International Debutant
to iamdavid, when you go close to the stumps, you aim well outside off stump dont you, so in effect you're pushing the ball a bit aswell. Is it just cause im not used to doing it or is it wrong?
Depends on how far and how consistently the ball is swinging but yeah you'd generally be feeling for a spot about a foot outside off stump and like you say it could feel like you're pushing it wide and messing your momentum up. Never felt that way to me personally, maybe you're not used to it and it will get easier or maybe you should just do what feels comfortable for you :unsure:

bond21

Banned
yea its all about the conditions on the day and how much its swinging, so you have to accomodate the line to allow for it.

Just gotta get into the swing of it again, I had been bowling outswingers for 6 months earlier this year.

bond21

Banned
It's my natural action. My wrist position is naturally angled a bit towards fine leg and I have a high arm action. It would be like an outswing bowler trying to bowl inswing, it feels unnatural to bowl outswing for me. I can do it but it's harder.

I am not totally front on, like Flintoff, but I am more front on than side on.

Seriously I was bowling with the wind coming from cover on saturday and was bowling absolute banana balls, they were swinging a mile. Not loopy either like medium pacers they were pretty quick.

Anyway I will just try bowling not too close but reasonably close to the stumps, about halfway between the stumps and the return crease.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It's my natural action. My wrist position is naturally angled a bit towards fine leg and I have a high arm action. It would be like an outswing bowler trying to bowl inswing, it feels unnatural to bowl outswing for me. I can do it but it's harder.

Ok, I understand now how you swing the ball. What you need to look to do is gauge what sort of day you are going to have by your first over (or less if you can) of each spell.

If the ball is going all over the place, you should look to bowl most of your balls with a cross seam and pitch it short of a length. Once you are certain that you have the right line, then look to chuck in the fuller inswinger which will no doubt catch the batsman off guard and trap him LBW.

If you are getting it to swing and the accuracy is good...just carry on doing what you're doing:)

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway I will just try bowling not too close but reasonably close to the stumps, about halfway between the stumps and the return crease.
That will be best to do, make sure you run in and follow through in a straight line down the line which you just mentioned.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Seriously I was bowling with the wind coming from cover on saturday and was bowling absolute banana balls, they were swinging a mile. Not loopy either like medium pacers they were pretty quick.

Are you using a two-piece or a 4-piece?

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
I haven't bowled with a two piece for a while, but they do tend to swing everywhere.
Agree the swing is over exaggerated.

You sound like me. Went through a faze of bowling inswingers then outswingers then inswingers. Now i quite comfortably are able to control the ball both ways with the outswinger being my preferred choice of ball.

Just practice in the nets, getting a consistant line and adjust all the time to get the perfect area. But remember not to bowl the inswinger every single ball, batsman will find it predictable and your wickets tally will fall. You mentioned you bowled outswingers for 6 months, how about chucking one of them in or a cross seamed straight ball.

bond21

Banned
yea i switched to outswing about early this year for the latter half of last season.

I find i can bowl faster using my natural action without worrying about the wrist release, and its a natural inswing so its just about finding the right line again i guess.

bond21

Banned
so basically with the 2 piece i just need to bowl it further outside off stump to compensate for the swing? cause sometimes it feels like the ball doesnt swing as much when i do and it goes wide outside off, but maybe im just pushing it too far.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If you are boomaranging it, go round the wicket and bowl as a left arm over the wicket bowler.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
I'd say to stick with your best delivery run-up and action and vary the rest (grip, ball placement, velocity etc). If you play around too much with wide vs close-in, you may sacrifice control, tip off the batsman and possibly lose the ability to swing.