• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

batting problems

pyrokinetic

Cricket Spectator
unfortunately i've been having terrible problems with my batting lately. I seem to be watching the ball as the bowler runs into the crease but as they release it i more predict where it is going to pitch which is alright if there is no movement. The main problems with this is if the ball swings or spins i am misjudging it making me look like a fool most of the time, it's even worse if the ball is a full toss as i seem to miss is completely and am getting clean bowled pretty regularly by full balls in nets by balls.

I am hoping there is some technique that someone can help me with to adjust again or some practice i can do because this is really spoiling my batting.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Nets, nets, nets, nets, nets.

Get someone to bowl full tosses at you so you become more comfortable playing them. Used to have a problem with them myself, so I developed a more defensive plan b approach to playing them, but now that I've grown more comfortable through extensive practice I can smack them away with the disdain that they deserve.

As far as predicting where the ball goes, that can also be solved in the nets. At first I'd just watch some deliveries without playing them, making sure to keep my eyes on the ball all the way through. Then I'd start playing them, and as your eye will be adjusted to following the ball you can look to start playing the ball later and later. Hopefully, you'll find it easier to follow the ball with your eyes as time goes on.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
So many of them around, made my own that is a solid bat.

There could be a number of reasons why you are getting completely confused by the swinging, seaming ball. As I have never seen you bat, I will only give a general idea.

When facing a new bowler (especially your first few deleveries) watch the ball ever so carefully. Concentrate on the action of the bowler, the wrist posistion but most importantly watch when the ball is released. By watching the ball at the time of release you will get an understanding of where the ball will land and the movement that (might/might not occur)

Another reason that you are done by swing is that your batting technique has some flaws. When I was growing up I struggled with the moving ball a little because I wasn't very balanced. You need to be well balanced at all times when the ball is bowled as you can adjust to any late changes with easy and effectivness. If you have committed your body to a shot and that is where all your weight is moving (probably moving too much that way) you wont be able to correct yourself if the ball moves the opposite way to you and you will look like a fallen giraffe.

Getting good balance is easily done. Dig your chin into your front shoulder and stare striaght down the wicket. Have a little bit of bent knees (how much depends on preference). Hold a bat with only your top hand and get a mate to throw you half volley's mixing it up from off side to on side and straight.

Practice makes perfect :)

pyrokinetic

Cricket Spectator
thanks for the help, i'll try some of it out at nets at the weekend, it maybe partially that my front foot isn't moving forward enough as well. My Striking of the ball is fine at the moment though most come right out the middle of the bat to balls that don't move

bond21

Banned
dont think of anything except the ball.

dont watch the bowler's action as that guy suggested, it will throw your concentration.

Batting is so simple, its as hard or as simple as you make it.

Barry Richards just said: See the ball, hit the ball.

Thats basically all it is, watching the ball and hitting it.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
It's obv you're rattled and need to regain you're confidence.
If you're even missing balls in nets, then you need to get as much ball contact as possible. I'd suggest using a softball (tennis) and bat it against a wall, many times.
Then move back into the nets requesting the bowler to gradually increase the difficulty of deliveries until you get back into the groove.
Be relaxed prior to practice, dont try too hard and dont despair.

bond21

Banned
any sport is 80% mental, 20% physical

If you have no confidence in your ability, you will probably not do well.

If you're low on confidence when batting, in the nets dont let A graders bowl to you, get slower bowlers to bowl and start hitting the ball well.

One strategy I use when batting in a match is I act extremely ****y. I run the show and I will succeed. Those are the thoughts that you have to believe when you're batting. If you say to yourself, this bowler is too good or whatever, chances are you will almost talk yourself into getting out.

willb88

Cricket Spectator
I had the same problem with fuller balls myself, however I would try to whip them away through the leg-side from middle and off. in my honest opinion I would take a few of the views already shown upto now and expand them. You have been missing full balls in nets... so what? Ask the bowlers, who shouldn't have a problem with helping you out as it helps their control to bowl full and straight-ish as you, however, remove the stumps from the equation.
What does this do? It removes the stigma from being bowled out of your mind, therefore releasing some of your 'psychological' attention which can be transferred to the ball itself and your technique. This should hopefully allow your brain 'unconciously' to improve your performance against the fuller ball because one of the stimuli has been taken away i.e. being bowled.
This system should also work with throw downs, don't try and blast the fuller ball to all parts just because they are they are throw downs, try to time them with solid technique and a little solidifying of the wrists on impact, causing the 'punch' at the end of the shot without a full follow through over the shoulder, and obviously when you have the puch mastered you can follow through, and then obviously have 2 options for the same shot, a punch for 1 or 2, and the full flowing drive for more runs

jacobg606

Cricket Spectator
Just wondering if you could help at all with my batting.

I've been out 7 times this season and been bowled 5 of the 7. Just wondering if you could give me any tips from that.

Thanks a lot.

Reply would be much appreciated.