• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast Bowling Coaching

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Follow through is a result of energy out of the crease, which is highly desirable.

The follow through is a consequence of excellent energy transfer - and is part of the cause and effect that occurs in the action all the way through. So bowlers who have a natural strong follow through have been able to drive to target with their body pretty much in a straight line (hopefully).

Open action bowlers do this by faster leg speed and attack than a sideways on bowler, spending little time in crease as they don't wish to stop. Sideways on bowlers tend to get out of the crease by being strong in upper half of the action, with good arm pull, chest drive and finish.

If you have no or little follow through in a straight line, it would mean none of your explosive energy is going towards the batsman, because if it did, you wouldn't be able to stop yourself easily and by default would have a strong follow through.

You don't add a follow through onto an action. It's the sign that you have gotten everything driving out through the point of ball release, which as I said up top, is highly desirable if you want speed and consistent accuracy.
Thanks very much for your reply!

I had my first training run for a while tonight and I think my follow through improved somewhat. I'm a front-on bowler myself and tried to accelerate through the crease...I also like to feel as though I'm quite 'tall' on the crease. Was nice and accurate (if not, at times, a little too straight). I practiced in the hallway before I went :laugh: Seemed to be getting the follow through going.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
For a left-hander yes. Flat part of the thumb, too..not the edge.

If you want to run it across the right hander (left arm bowler) pop the edge of your thumb on the outside part (left) of the seam underneath. This movement 'unlocks' the wrist slightly and slide the ball across to slip.
It would seem that the ball naturally swings away from the right hander for me but thanks for the tip about inswing. Would wrist curls with light dumbells help the wrist strength for swing bowling?

Just for further clarification, where on the right hand side of the ball should the thumb be, right on the side or toward the lower part of the side?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's where mine are for my right handed outswing. Have the thumb just ever so slightly resting on the edge of the seam to make sure it stays in position.

Attachments

Ponty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It would seem that the ball naturally swings away from the right hander for me but thanks for the tip about inswing. Would wrist curls with light dumbells help the wrist strength for swing bowling?

Just for further clarification, where on the right hand side of the ball should the thumb be, right on the side or toward the lower part of the side?
You should be able to hold the ball between first finger and thumb by holding only the leather of the ball ON THE SAME SIDE. This is what stablises the ball. I have seen bowlers able to move their thumb a third of the way up the leather from the seam but you hold it where you can dependent on your size of hand and flxibility...

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
You should be able to hold the ball between first finger and thumb by holding only the leather of the ball ON THE SAME SIDE. This is what stablises the ball. I have seen bowlers able to move their thumb a third of the way up the leather from the seam but you hold it where you can dependent on your size of hand and flxibility...
I'll try your inswing method on Wednesday, will post back saying how it goes:)

Will wrist curls help the strength of my wrist for inswing?

Last edited:

scritty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Thoughts on Pontys book

Not wanting to plug Ians book, but using it was a revaltation for me.

I was a "windmill" bowler. I ran in and bowled with by shoulder, and not even all of that, i basicall just turned my arm around in the shoulder socket as fast as I could.

Suprisingly I was (for a "village" cricketer") quite successful, being the leading bowler for my club once or twice in the late 90's and early 00's.

Then I read Ian's book. What a revalation, I now bowl "through" my chest which means supplesness and musculature in that area is actually used - something I never really understood before.

I line up my hips (so I don't bowl "around" my arse).
I use my height, I run in straight, I grip the ball correctly, and am (at the age of 40) easily a couple of yards faster than I was aged 25, and, bowling straighter, moving the ball more often.

I find myself looking at other bowlers and seeing where they are going wrong. My problem (rolling my arm over as fast as I could rather than "bowling") seems amazingly common. Second only to not sticking your chest out and bowling around your arse.

The other thing it took (despite Ians book ) was a lot of hard work practicing, running, weights, pace drills, and of course bowling, perhaps 50 overs a week - 10-12 overs a night 4 or 5 nights a week, often on my own. Bit only 6 weeks of that produced (AFAIC) really excellent results, our keeper who normally stood perhaps 4 yards back moved back to almost 10 yards, and was taking the ball comfortably at waist to chest high, and the ball was cutting off the seam 4 or 5 times an over (on a village pitch - probably wouldn't get that much on a really well prepared league pitch). Even swing now and then.

Overall, as long as back/knees hold out, I can credit Ponty's book for adding some years to me playing time - hopefully at least another 10-15 !!

Cheers

Paul Clarke

(Had bike accident early October, and knees on the mend Links to my clubs website - I'm not the guy in any of the pictures btw :-) )

http://flyfordflavell.play-cricket.com/content/view.asp?id=10167734&cid=200

http://flyfordflavell.play-cricket.com/content/view.asp?id=10168222&cid=200

http://flyfordflavell.play-cricket.com/content/view.asp?id=10168308&cid=200

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Good stuff Paul! Stuff like that must make Ian feel good.

I tried your inswing grip and had some success. The coach at nets then suggested that I run in from an angle like Sidebottom and from there, I felt increased pace and with the grip, I got it to shape in.

Thanks for that. Another thing was that with the grip, I was getting more bounce than before, even bowling a head high bouncer - the first bouncer I have ever bowled that has gone above hip height - so that was pretty interesting.

Thanks.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
can anyone clarify this point from the book's website under "fast bowlers tips and hints":

• At the point of delivery, your hips and nose will be facing the batsman. If your bowling hip is ‘lazy’ it will lag behind thus dropping your speed. If your nose isn’t facing the batsman, your head is probably falling away. The hips are the powerhouse of your body. Get them in the right position

how do you do this as a side on bowler? i was assuming you rotate your shoulders so the chest is also facing the batsman, but wouldn't that then fall under having a mixed action, and isn't that to be avoided?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
can anyone clarify this point from the book's website under "fast bowlers tips and hints":

• At the point of delivery, your hips and nose will be facing the batsman. If your bowling hip is ‘lazy’ it will lag behind thus dropping your speed. If your nose isn’t facing the batsman, your head is probably falling away. The hips are the powerhouse of your body. Get them in the right position

how do you do this as a side on bowler? i was assuming you rotate your shoulders so the chest is also facing the batsman, but wouldn't that then fall under having a mixed action, and isn't that to be avoided?
All bowlers deliver the ball from a front on position. Side on bowlers get there pace by rotating from side on (at landing) to front on at release.

There is no danger even if you have the back foot side on because the back foot gets off the ground. 99.9% of bowlers deliver with just the front foot on the ground.