Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fast Bowling Coaching

Quote Originally Posted by Ponty View Post
    Dale Steyn is close...but Brett Lee is the closest. Allan Donald was another. It's all about interpretation of the biomechanics. Individuals do things in a different way and will have a different look to their actions, but they will all do many of the 10 key points correctly.

And the more they do right, the faster they will bowl. Lee, Steyn, Donald and Akthar are the quickest (are and have been the quickest) in recent years. Whilse their actions all appear different, they do the same things right.
    I know it is being a bit cheeky to ask such a complex question when you are only here to give small tips but could you give me advise on the biomechanics of a left arm over the wicket inswinger please. Your book only deals with the grip but if I hold it like that, I simply flick along the seam and it flies down the leg side, ala Steve Harmison.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    I know it is being a bit cheeky to ask such a complex question when you are only here to give small tips but could you give me advise on the biomechanics of a left arm over the wicket inswinger please. Your book only deals with the grip but if I hold it like that, I simply flick along the seam and it flies down the leg side, ala Steve Harmison.
    My book is the same for both left and right hand bowlers. There is no technical difference between bowling an outswinger for the right hand bowler or left hand bowler.

NOTHING changes in the action to bowl inswing or outswing for the left or right hand bowler. All that changes is the ball (seam) position aimed to leg or off providing the wrist is strong and behind the ball.

Bowlers who cannot swing the ball to their natural offside usually have a weak wrist or allow the figers to slide over the top of the ball on release. I find that's due to the thumb position mistakenly being on the seam underneath, and not on the leath of the ball the sie you're expecting the ball to swing.

There are many technical reasons BEFORE that point why bowlers cannot swing the ball one way of the other - and unless they are corrected it will not swing. the most common is loading up inside the action (where the bowling hand comes across the chest on loadup or downswing. Almost impossible not to 'push' the ball like that and not swing it to you natural outswing side.

I'm happy to answer tech questions on here but really would been to see someone's action to help them, otherwise it's guesswork.

Bowling is a science as well as an art - so seeing what people do is helpful.

My book is the same for both left and right hand bowlers. There is no technical difference between bowling an outswinger for the right hand bowler or left hand bowler.

NOTHING changes in the action to bowl inswing or outswing for the left or right hand bowler. All that changes is the ball (seam) position aimed to leg or off providing the wrist is strong and behind the ball.

Bowlers who cannot swing the ball to their natural offside usually have a weak wrist or allow the figers to slide over the top of the ball on release. I find that's due to the thumb position mistakenly being on the seam underneath, and not on the leath of the ball the sie you're expecting the ball to swing.

There are many technical reasons BEFORE that point why bowlers cannot swing the ball one way of the other - and unless they are corrected it will not swing. the most common is loading up inside the action (where the bowling hand comes across the chest on loadup or downswing. Almost impossible not to 'push' the ball like that and not swing it to you natural outswing side.

I'm happy to answer tech questions on here but really would been to see someone's action to help them, otherwise it's guesswork.

Bowling is a science as well as an art - so seeing what people do is helpful.
    I'll put some videos up in the morning. Thanks for the in depth advice, it is clear you really know your stuff.

Ok, morning has come:

Mid on view
    Behind umpire view
    Last edited by Manee; 25-11-2007 at 02:49 AM.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    I find that's due to the thumb position mistakenly being on the seam underneath, and not on the leath of the ball the sie you're expecting the ball to swing.
    Sorry, but is that word supposed to be leather?
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Hello mate,

I'm back into the cricket this year (I think) after a two year break and have been a decent bowler previously. I was just wondering if you had any tips for a bowler getting back into the swing of things (I've just watched some of you clips on Youtube). Also, I've found that recent returns to the bowling crease have seen my follow through almost become non-existent...and I've been wondering if it's due to my stride becoming longer for whatever reason...an old coach of mine emphasised a higher front leg position before hitting the crease as he thought it maximised your height at delivery (I think). It used to work pretty well, but a couple of years out of the game has seen things get a little pear-shaped.

Apologies if this is too large a question...feel free to ignore me
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Hello mate,

I'm back into the cricket this year (I think) after a two year break and have been a decent bowler previously. I was just wondering if you had any tips for a bowler getting back into the swing of things (I've just watched some of you clips on Youtube). Also, I've found that recent returns to the bowling crease have seen my follow through almost become non-existent...and I've been wondering if it's due to my stride becoming longer for whatever reason...an old coach of mine emphasised a higher front leg position before hitting the crease as he thought it maximised your height at delivery (I think). It used to work pretty well, but a couple of years out of the game has seen things get a little pear-shaped.

Apologies if this is too large a question...feel free to ignore me
    Follow through is a result of energy out of the crease, which is highly desirable.

The follow through is a consequence of excellent energy transfer - and is part of the cause and effect that occurs in the action all the way through. So bowlers who have a natural strong follow through have been able to drive to target with their body pretty much in a straight line (hopefully).

Open action bowlers do this by faster leg speed and attack than a sideways on bowler, spending little time in crease as they don't wish to stop. Sideways on bowlers tend to get out of the crease by being strong in upper half of the action, with good arm pull, chest drive and finish.

If you have no or little follow through in a straight line, it would mean none of your explosive energy is going towards the batsman, because if it did, you wouldn't be able to stop yourself easily and by default would have a strong follow through.

You don't add a follow through onto an action. It's the sign that you have gotten everything driving out through the point of ball release, which as I said up top, is highly desirable if you want speed and consistent accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    Sorry, but is that word supposed to be leather?
    Yes..sorry...leather. As in on the ball itself rather than the seam.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Yes..sorry...leather. As in on the ball itself rather than the seam.
    Thanks. The explanation of swing bowling was also very helpful.

So, if you want it to swing it in to the right hander, thumb on the right hand side of the ball?

So, if you want it to swing it in to the right hander, thumb on the right hand side of the ball?
    For a left-hander yes. Flat part of the thumb, too..not the edge.

If you want to run it across the right hander (left arm bowler) pop the edge of your thumb on the outside part (left) of the seam underneath. This movement 'unlocks' the wrist slightly and slide the ball across to slip.

Right hand bowlers do this for their versions of swing too.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Follow through is a result of energy out of the crease, which is highly desirable.

The follow through is a consequence of excellent energy transfer - and is part of the cause and effect that occurs in the action all the way through. So bowlers who have a natural strong follow through have been able to drive to target with their body pretty much in a straight line (hopefully).

Open action bowlers do this by faster leg speed and attack than a sideways on bowler, spending little time in crease as they don't wish to stop. Sideways on bowlers tend to get out of the crease by being strong in upper half of the action, with good arm pull, chest drive and finish.

If you have no or little follow through in a straight line, it would mean none of your explosive energy is going towards the batsman, because if it did, you wouldn't be able to stop yourself easily and by default would have a strong follow through.

You don't add a follow through onto an action. It's the sign that you have gotten everything driving out through the point of ball release, which as I said up top, is highly desirable if you want speed and consistent accuracy.
    Thanks very much for your reply!

I had my first training run for a while tonight and I think my follow through improved somewhat. I'm a front-on bowler myself and tried to accelerate through the crease...I also like to feel as though I'm quite 'tall' on the crease. Was nice and accurate (if not, at times, a little too straight). I practiced in the hallway before I went Seemed to be getting the follow through going.

For a left-hander yes. Flat part of the thumb, too..not the edge.

If you want to run it across the right hander (left arm bowler) pop the edge of your thumb on the outside part (left) of the seam underneath. This movement 'unlocks' the wrist slightly and slide the ball across to slip.
    It would seem that the ball naturally swings away from the right hander for me but thanks for the tip about inswing. Would wrist curls with light dumbells help the wrist strength for swing bowling?

Just for further clarification, where on the right hand side of the ball should the thumb be, right on the side or toward the lower part of the side?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    That's where mine are for my right handed outswing. Have the thumb just ever so slightly resting on the edge of the seam to make sure it stays in position.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

It would seem that the ball naturally swings away from the right hander for me but thanks for the tip about inswing. Would wrist curls with light dumbells help the wrist strength for swing bowling?

Just for further clarification, where on the right hand side of the ball should the thumb be, right on the side or toward the lower part of the side?
    You should be able to hold the ball between first finger and thumb by holding only the leather of the ball ON THE SAME SIDE. This is what stablises the ball. I have seen bowlers able to move their thumb a third of the way up the leather from the seam but you hold it where you can dependent on your size of hand and flxibility...

You should be able to hold the ball between first finger and thumb by holding only the leather of the ball ON THE SAME SIDE. This is what stablises the ball. I have seen bowlers able to move their thumb a third of the way up the leather from the seam but you hold it where you can dependent on your size of hand and flxibility...
    I'll try your inswing method on Wednesday, will post back saying how it goes

Will wrist curls help the strength of my wrist for inswing?
    Last edited by Manee; 03-12-2007 at 01:14 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information