• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast Bowling Coaching

bond21

Banned
Ian, do you think Shane Bond's injuries have been because of his arched back during the bound, or hes just unlucky?

Because a lot of coaches have told me to arch my back during the leap.

Or do you recommend a bound like Lee's, he doesnt seem to bend back much.

Last edited:

Ponty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hmmmmm. Leaning back is not really recommended. My view is that Bond LOSES pace by doing that personally. He could drive his hips and core harder and use his arms better to generate even more pace and accuracy, rather than lean back, by going forward.

Some bowlers arch their backs a little - hyperextension, or sometimes a slight lean to counteract a movement elsewhere in their action - but pretty much everything ought to be going to target.

The phrase 'bend your back' is one of the worst I have heard as it implies this is a good thing. I would rather a bowler thinks about delaying their bowling arm, having a long arm pull from behind (like shoaib), and then driving this at the target from an upright or driving forward position.

Bond decelerates on his slight lean back if you watch, which 'washes off' his energy making it slightly inefficient. Despite this is one seriously good bowler! I'd prefer if he did what we worked on with Dale Steyn, and drive to target hard from the top half all the way through the action. But that's Dayle Hadlee's issue, as NZ coach and not mine.

bond21

Banned
Also the run up

At the moment I have a relatively short run up - 14 normal paces from the popping crease.

I usually sprint in the most of the way but i was wondering if I should increase the length of the run up and gradually build into momentum.

Like maybe take it out to 18 or 20 paces and build up speed like a steamtrain.

I have a semi open action, like McGrath, back foot facing fine leg, front foot straight down the pitch, shoulders and hips aligned at a 45 degree angle.

I know a side on bowler gradually builds momentum, and a front on bowler sprints in but what does a semi open bowler do?

I appreciate all the questions youve answered so far Ian, I know you're a busy man.

Last edited:

Ponty

http://www.maverickscricket.com/coaching.htm scroll down to the middle of the page and see the video clip assessment.

If you to have your action assessed correctly please let me know. I have many Aussie club cricketers who contact me about assessments and want to invest in their future.

At least you'll know what to do...

bond21

Banned
Hmmmmm. Leaning back is not really recommended. My view is that Bond LOSES pace by doing that personally. He could drive his hips and core harder and use his arms better to generate even more pace and accuracy, rather than lean back, by going forward.

Some bowlers arch their backs a little - hyperextension, or sometimes a slight lean to counteract a movement elsewhere in their action - but pretty much everything ought to be going to target.

The phrase 'bend your back' is one of the worst I have heard as it implies this is a good thing. I would rather a bowler thinks about delaying their bowling arm, having a long arm pull from behind (like shoaib), and then driving this at the target from an upright or driving forward position.

Bond decelerates on his slight lean back if you watch, which 'washes off' his energy making it slightly inefficient. Despite this is one seriously good bowler! I'd prefer if he did what we worked on with Dale Steyn, and drive to target hard from the top half all the way through the action. But that's Dayle Hadlee's issue, as NZ coach and not mine.

Basically you mean holding the bowling arm back a bit as if to put more power in it, then bowl it?

I was at training the other day and I was getting more pace with a load up similar to Shoaib's. Is that possible to get pace from changing something as simple as that?

And what's your opinion on Shoaib's load up? Does he lose accuracy with it?

Last edited:

Ponty

Basically you mean holding the bowling arm back a bit as if to put more power in it, then bowl it?

I was at training the other day and I was getting more pace with a load up similar to Shoaib's. Is that possible to get pace from changing something as simple as that?

And what's your opinion on Shoaib's load up? Does he lose accuracy with it?
Yes exactly that!

Shoaib has changed his load up 3 times in his career as he understands what he needs to maximise his speed. I was fortunate enough to have a 2 hour session with him in 2005. He's one smart cookie when it comes to his own bowling....

bond21

Banned
yea i get the hint..

but theoretically, if shoaib akhtar used an action like glenn mcgrath for example, would that increase his accuracy albeit sacrifice some pace? cause in his load up his arm is away from his body where people tell you to get it in close.

shoaib looks like hes sacrificing accuracy to gain pace, am i wrong? because no coach teaches kids to bowl like him.

Ponty

yea i get the hint..

but theoretically, if shoaib akhtar used an action like glenn mcgrath for example, would that increase his accuracy albeit sacrifice some pace? cause in his load up his arm is away from his body where people tell you to get it in close.

shoaib looks like hes sacrificing accuracy to gain pace, am i wrong? because no coach teaches kids to bowl like him.
The same things you need for pace (straight lines, drive to target, momentum at off stump ect) are the same things you need for accuracy. The greatest discovery in fast bowling is you don't have to sacrifice accuracy for pace. It's not 'one or the other'.

You can be fast and inaccurate, and you can be medium pace and accurate (you HAVE to be accurate if you've got no pace!). But you can be both accurate and fast if you know how to access pace, where it comes from, what to do with your body, how to use arm pull, chest drive and a full shoulder rotation. These are the EXACT things I'm teaching (called ABSAT, Advanced Biomechanics Speed & Accuracy Techniques) and it's what coaches are starting to realise at last.

Dale Steyn, one of my high profile students, is beginning to master it. His last two Tests have brought 10 wickets in each and I believe he's now up to 3 in the world. He can bowl faster than he does and will do so as he gets to grips with things.

I hear poor coaches say, slow down, bowl a line & length, as if for some reason pace & accuracy come from different things. They come from the very same thing - it's simply that coaches don't understand how to work with bowlers to increase their pace.

Most medium pace bowlers are medium pace because they don't use what they've got properly, that's all. My book, The Fast Bowler's Bible, reveals all this. www.maverickscricket.com/bible.htm - I can only suggest you buy it and read for yourself the facts about pace & accuracy.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Dale Steyn, one of my high profile students, is beginning to master it. His last two Tests have brought 10 wickets in each and I believe he's now up to 3 in the world. He can bowl faster than he does and will do so as he gets to grips with things.
Would you say that Steyn possesses an action which harnesses all of your teachings better than any other?

Ponty

Would you say that Steyn possesses an action which harnesses all of your teachings better than any other?
Dale Steyn is close...but Brett Lee is the closest. Allan Donald was another. It's all about interpretation of the biomechanics. Individuals do things in a different way and will have a different look to their actions, but they will all do many of the 10 key points correctly.

And the more they do right, the faster they will bowl. Lee, Steyn, Donald and Akthar are the quickest (are and have been the quickest) in recent years. Whilse their actions all appear different, they do the same things right.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Dale Steyn is close...but Brett Lee is the closest. Allan Donald was another. It's all about interpretation of the biomechanics. Individuals do things in a different way and will have a different look to their actions, but they will all do many of the 10 key points correctly.

And the more they do right, the faster they will bowl. Lee, Steyn, Donald and Akthar are the quickest (are and have been the quickest) in recent years. Whilse their actions all appear different, they do the same things right.
I know it is being a bit cheeky to ask such a complex question when you are only here to give small tips but could you give me advise on the biomechanics of a left arm over the wicket inswinger please. Your book only deals with the grip but if I hold it like that, I simply flick along the seam and it flies down the leg side, ala Steve Harmison.

Ponty

I know it is being a bit cheeky to ask such a complex question when you are only here to give small tips but could you give me advise on the biomechanics of a left arm over the wicket inswinger please. Your book only deals with the grip but if I hold it like that, I simply flick along the seam and it flies down the leg side, ala Steve Harmison.
My book is the same for both left and right hand bowlers. There is no technical difference between bowling an outswinger for the right hand bowler or left hand bowler.

NOTHING changes in the action to bowl inswing or outswing for the left or right hand bowler. All that changes is the ball (seam) position aimed to leg or off providing the wrist is strong and behind the ball.

Bowlers who cannot swing the ball to their natural offside usually have a weak wrist or allow the figers to slide over the top of the ball on release. I find that's due to the thumb position mistakenly being on the seam underneath, and not on the leath of the ball the sie you're expecting the ball to swing.

There are many technical reasons BEFORE that point why bowlers cannot swing the ball one way of the other - and unless they are corrected it will not swing. the most common is loading up inside the action (where the bowling hand comes across the chest on loadup or downswing. Almost impossible not to 'push' the ball like that and not swing it to you natural outswing side.

I'm happy to answer tech questions on here but really would been to see someone's action to help them, otherwise it's guesswork.

Bowling is a science as well as an art - so seeing what people do is helpful.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
My book is the same for both left and right hand bowlers. There is no technical difference between bowling an outswinger for the right hand bowler or left hand bowler.

NOTHING changes in the action to bowl inswing or outswing for the left or right hand bowler. All that changes is the ball (seam) position aimed to leg or off providing the wrist is strong and behind the ball.

Bowlers who cannot swing the ball to their natural offside usually have a weak wrist or allow the figers to slide over the top of the ball on release. I find that's due to the thumb position mistakenly being on the seam underneath, and not on the leath of the ball the sie you're expecting the ball to swing.

There are many technical reasons BEFORE that point why bowlers cannot swing the ball one way of the other - and unless they are corrected it will not swing. the most common is loading up inside the action (where the bowling hand comes across the chest on loadup or downswing. Almost impossible not to 'push' the ball like that and not swing it to you natural outswing side.

I'm happy to answer tech questions on here but really would been to see someone's action to help them, otherwise it's guesswork.

Bowling is a science as well as an art - so seeing what people do is helpful.
I'll put some videos up in the morning. Thanks for the in depth advice, it is clear you really know your stuff.

Ok, morning has come:

Mid on view
Behind umpire view

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hello mate,

I'm back into the cricket this year (I think) after a two year break and have been a decent bowler previously. I was just wondering if you had any tips for a bowler getting back into the swing of things (I've just watched some of you clips on Youtube). Also, I've found that recent returns to the bowling crease have seen my follow through almost become non-existent...and I've been wondering if it's due to my stride becoming longer for whatever reason...an old coach of mine emphasised a higher front leg position before hitting the crease as he thought it maximised your height at delivery (I think). It used to work pretty well, but a couple of years out of the game has seen things get a little pear-shaped.

Apologies if this is too large a question...feel free to ignore me :happy:

Ponty

Hello mate,

I'm back into the cricket this year (I think) after a two year break and have been a decent bowler previously. I was just wondering if you had any tips for a bowler getting back into the swing of things (I've just watched some of you clips on Youtube). Also, I've found that recent returns to the bowling crease have seen my follow through almost become non-existent...and I've been wondering if it's due to my stride becoming longer for whatever reason...an old coach of mine emphasised a higher front leg position before hitting the crease as he thought it maximised your height at delivery (I think). It used to work pretty well, but a couple of years out of the game has seen things get a little pear-shaped.

Apologies if this is too large a question...feel free to ignore me :happy:
Follow through is a result of energy out of the crease, which is highly desirable.

The follow through is a consequence of excellent energy transfer - and is part of the cause and effect that occurs in the action all the way through. So bowlers who have a natural strong follow through have been able to drive to target with their body pretty much in a straight line (hopefully).

Open action bowlers do this by faster leg speed and attack than a sideways on bowler, spending little time in crease as they don't wish to stop. Sideways on bowlers tend to get out of the crease by being strong in upper half of the action, with good arm pull, chest drive and finish.

If you have no or little follow through in a straight line, it would mean none of your explosive energy is going towards the batsman, because if it did, you wouldn't be able to stop yourself easily and by default would have a strong follow through.

You don't add a follow through onto an action. It's the sign that you have gotten everything driving out through the point of ball release, which as I said up top, is highly desirable if you want speed and consistent accuracy.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
So, if you want it to swing it in to the right hander, thumb on the right hand side of the ball?

Ponty

So, if you want it to swing it in to the right hander, thumb on the right hand side of the ball?
For a left-hander yes. Flat part of the thumb, too..not the edge.

If you want to run it across the right hander (left arm bowler) pop the edge of your thumb on the outside part (left) of the seam underneath. This movement 'unlocks' the wrist slightly and slide the ball across to slip.

Right hand bowlers do this for their versions of swing too.