• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Day in Coventry (Ian Pont and ABSAT)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I wasn't suggesting that you'd be the one to travel: I'm used to commuting left/right/centre over the course of the cricketing summer. Last year included Guernsey, Dorset, Hampshire and Holland. This year to date has included Berkshire, Wiltshire, Warwickshire, Worcester... etc.

Not sure how far Darlo is - not driving that one - have indulged myself in first class train tickets...

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, I know :D otherwise you wouldn't have saidI "'I'm sure I could manage to get out there for a CricketWebber"
So what tips should I work on in the nets next time I go?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Like I mentioned in the other thread, it's awkward to really see the nuts and bolts of the action at such a distant zoom and from an offset angle. I generally like to watch an action for a good over or two from a few different views, then watch back in slow-mo off a decent video camera before really making any concrete suggestions as working off fuzz-vision leads to seeing things that aren't there and missing things that are. Additionally I am very very loath to list a mass of possible alterations and blow your mind: 'tis far easier to wreck an action than make one.

I would think the biggest difference you could make is to start doing something with the left half of your body - the left leg doesn't appear to get up high and the left arm doesn't fly through as much as it might to begin the rotation. Something I also remember noticing on freeze-frame last night when trying to isolate the one with your backfoot landing on it was that your head turns to the right and looks at your right hand as you bowl. That ain't good: eyes level is massively key, or else your length starts to waver).

Keep it simple and keep it focussed: a walk-through drill into a shortened run, back to walkthroughs to groove the action and then into a full run.

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
Thanks, its good to know you are actually considering whats important for me not just trying to impress me, i appreciate it a lot, thanks. I'll try to get my dad or a mate to video me soon.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd like to hear what obvious faults Pickup finds with my action, you've seen enough of it vaguely recently (this year counts as recent) i reckon. :D

Ponty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Coaching

Blake

Thanks for the nice comments about the book. It's now on it's third edition and many coaches are using it as the blueprint to train pace & accuracy together - so I am humbled by that!

You mentioned about not dropping your head and yet burying the shoulder as being 'contradictory'. That would be true if your head was welded to your shoulder in one piece! But you can turn the shoulders without moving your head....(well most humans can?)

You should keep looking at the target through the action (James Anderson's issue) so that the shoulders move around your head and don't drag it down. By completing the shoulder turn you complete your action. The head doesn't drop down in this.

You can tell if you had a side on action on your back foot impact. If it's parallel with the crease you are side on; if it's pointing down the pitch you are front on. That's all you need to know. The top half of you (shoulders) should then of course match this to avoid a MIXED action.

Beware of working with coaches who are not ABSAT qualified coaches on fast bowling. They may not have any clue about how to coach speed & accuracy, even though they have ECB qualifications. the ECB doesn't teach speed & accuracy techniques (ABSAT) so don't expect much help in that area.

Hi Ian,
I'm an U13 fast bowler and i've read your book a million times over! It's the most in depth bowling book I've ever read, which is helpful because I can never seem to find enough in depth information.
I went to a bowling course at Dummer Cricket Centre on Friday and I was told not to dip my head while I was bowling however in your book, one of your points was to "bury" your shoulder into the pitch, these points seem to contradict each other. After this I could not seem to any balls on the top of off stump, my coach told me that the angles had changed and that my arms would naturally, however I have not seen any changes. I was also told that I had a chest on action, while I thought that I had a side on action. Should I change back to my original action or should I persivere?
Also I am interested at the prospect of some one to one coaching, how much do you think it would cost?
I appreciate your opinion a lot.
Thanks
Blake

-ShakeyBlakey-

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for your reply,
yes, I think i've found a comfortable level of dip, and my bowling has improved drastically.
I've been hitting the seam regularly and getting consistent bounce and accuracy. I also know I've definitely not got a mixed action and it is chest on.
So how much would it typically cost for a one to one session?

Ponty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Coaching

Blake

Email the office at info@maverickscricket.com and tell them what you want, where you are etc and ask about the coaching.

Pleased to hear things have improved....

Thanks for your reply,
yes, I think i've found a comfortable level of dip, and my bowling has improved drastically.
I've been hitting the seam regularly and getting consistent bounce and accuracy. I also know I've definitely not got a mixed action and it is chest on.
So how much would it typically cost for a one to one session?

CricketSchool

Cricket Spectator
Online Cricket Coaching

Hi Ian,
I'm an U13 fast bowler and i've read your book a million times over! It's the most in depth bowling book I've ever read, which is helpful because I can never seem to find enough in depth information.
I went to a bowling course at Dummer Cricket Centre on Friday and I was told not to dip my head while I was bowling however in your book, one of your points was to "bury" your shoulder into the pitch, these points seem to contradict each other. After this I could not seem to any balls on the top of off stump, my coach told me that the angles had changed and that my arms would naturally, however I have not seen any changes. I was also told that I had a chest on action, while I thought that I had a side on action. Should I change back to my original action or should I persivere?
Also I am interested at the prospect of some one to one coaching, how much do you think it would cost?
I appreciate your opinion a lot.
Thanks
Blake

Guys, i just wanted to let you know ...i have a new site luanching soon..... cricket coaching online...which does exactly what it says ......on this site you will learn batting bowling, wicket keeping and fielding... a large amount of the videos are free and all are welcome to attend....hope this helps..