Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Hates

Pet Hates

Those of us who do a little bit of coaching, or just mentoring (which is more what I'm doing), what are the little things that a lot of people do that annoy you?

The first is when people rock up early, and then muck around for 10/15 minutes. Obviously you'd expect younger kids to do it, but if you're part of a senior cricket club, you should have the nous to get someone else who is there early to have some throwdowns with you, or do some proper catching practice. Not practice your left arm chinamen, or batting with the wrong hand against a tennis ball.

The other one is guys going down on one knee to field the ball, especially in fielding practice when it doesn't matter if you make a mistake. Attack the ball and get better, don't spend the time getting into worse habits for safety's purpose.

Fear of failure. So they dont like to try something new and dont try their hardest and be aggressive. Basically a conservative nature.

The best to coach are those with an open mind and willingness to start something they are bad at and work hard to improve rather than keep what they have that is average but with little room to develop.

And Parents
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    People who claim a straight backlift is the best way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    People who think they are better than they are. If you have made a county squad aged 11, it means you have talent. It doesn't mean you have made it, nor that you know more about the game than your coaches do. It means that you are not going to make it.

Incompetent running between the wickets. Ties in with Goughy's dislike of the fear of failure: for crying out loud, back up, run and call! You win matches by scoring runs and to do that you need to run. Also keepers standing too far back because they're scared. It just makes it harder...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    When she uses my razor.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    A poor attitude, nothing ****s me more.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

being scared to try things and to think outside the square but complain when if you dont practise it doesnt get better.
    Career cricket
    311 wickets @16.54 and 3021 runs @ 34.56 from 176 games over 11 years H.S 178*
    Member of the CW Green
    Cricket Web Career:(end of season 11) FC: 7404 runs @ 30.85 H.S 253* : One Day: 7331 runs @ 48.55 H.S 155*
    Off season: FC 1209 @ 52.51 & One Day: 921 @ 92.10
    COD4: djs clan
    World Of Warcraft: just sensational

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    A poor attitude, nothing ****s me more.
    Administrators and coaches who take themselves too seriously and prematurely brand a young player as having 'a poor attitude' for a single relatively minor incident. Fair enough some people deserve that label, but once at the end of a training session we were doing warm-down stretches and at the end of the stretch session I drifted off into my own little world and wasnt doing what everyone else was. I subsequently found myself in like 4th grade for a few weeks because I had a 'poor attitude'.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    Administrators and coaches who take themselves too seriously and prematurely brand a young player as having 'a poor attitude' for a single relatively minor incident. Fair enough some people deserve that label, but once at the end of a training session we were doing warm-down stretches and at the end of the stretch session I drifted off into my own little world and wasnt doing what everyone else was. I subsequently found myself in like 4th grade for a few weeks because I had a 'poor attitude'.
    And? I'm not saying you do have a poor attitude, but coaches expect you to tune into them at practice, and not doing so is very ignorant and disrespectful. Even if it is something unimportant like warm-down stretches, you should always be in the zone and attentive.

Your mum.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

People who block for an over or so, then go the big shot and stumps everywhere.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    And? I'm not saying you do have a poor attitude, but coaches expect you to tune into them at practice, and not doing so is very ignorant and disrespectful. Even if it is something unimportant like warm-down stretches, you should always be in the zone and attentive.
    Yes but we are human and one lapse particularly a minor one should not equate to 'a poor attitude' thus hindering that players prospects at the selection table etc.
    Fair enough if you're always rocking up late not in the correct gear or you dont bust your ass at training, dont take advice on board, dont show a willingness to work at your game or you're just generally a disruptive influence.
    But having it in for a player and punishing them over one minor lapse in concentration is over the top and its abusing your power.

Banned
    that is pretty weak on their part david.

Do they think they are coaching the Australian team or something?

And dropping you down to 4th grade is stupid.

My club has a simple rule: pick players on their performance.

Some A graders dont even turn up to training and they still stay in the side because they are good enough. Some C graders turn up every week and dont ever move up because they arent good enough.

If an A grader scores a 50 every game, I dont think anyone would care i f he doesnt train because he is performing.

Dropping you to 4th grade for not "paying attention" during frickin warm downs is piss weak. Especially if you were performing in whatever grade u were playing before.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    The class distinction between the 1st team and everyone else.

Like at nets, no first teamer will ever bowl in any other team's lane, and once the batsmen have finished batting they just sit down and don't repay the favour by bowling at others. Added on top of that they think they can just **** off at the end and not pay their fees.

I once got a bollocking by the second team captain because i wouldn't play on Sunday (i'm a 4th teamer and no where near good enough to play) when they were short. I pointed out to him that the only reason he wanted me to play was because the rest of the 2nd team were too lazy so he could go stuff himself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information