• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pet Hates

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Those of us who do a little bit of coaching, or just mentoring (which is more what I'm doing), what are the little things that a lot of people do that annoy you?

The first is when people rock up early, and then muck around for 10/15 minutes. Obviously you'd expect younger kids to do it, but if you're part of a senior cricket club, you should have the nous to get someone else who is there early to have some throwdowns with you, or do some proper catching practice. Not practice your left arm chinamen, or batting with the wrong hand against a tennis ball.

The other one is guys going down on one knee to field the ball, especially in fielding practice when it doesn't matter if you make a mistake. Attack the ball and get better, don't spend the time getting into worse habits for safety's purpose.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Fear of failure. So they dont like to try something new and dont try their hardest and be aggressive. Basically a conservative nature.

The best to coach are those with an open mind and willingness to start something they are bad at and work hard to improve rather than keep what they have that is average but with little room to develop.

And Parents :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
People who think they are better than they are. If you have made a county squad aged 11, it means you have talent. It doesn't mean you have made it, nor that you know more about the game than your coaches do. It means that you are not going to make it.

Incompetent running between the wickets. Ties in with Goughy's dislike of the fear of failure: for crying out loud, back up, run and call! You win matches by scoring runs and to do that you need to run. Also keepers standing too far back because they're scared. It just makes it harder...

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
being scared to try things and to think outside the square but complain when if you dont practise it doesnt get better.

iamdavid

International Debutant
A poor attitude, nothing ****s me more.
Administrators and coaches who take themselves too seriously and prematurely brand a young player as having 'a poor attitude' for a single relatively minor incident. Fair enough some people deserve that label, but once at the end of a training session we were doing warm-down stretches and at the end of the stretch session I drifted off into my own little world and wasnt doing what everyone else was. I subsequently found myself in like 4th grade for a few weeks because I had a 'poor attitude'.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Administrators and coaches who take themselves too seriously and prematurely brand a young player as having 'a poor attitude' for a single relatively minor incident. Fair enough some people deserve that label, but once at the end of a training session we were doing warm-down stretches and at the end of the stretch session I drifted off into my own little world and wasnt doing what everyone else was. I subsequently found myself in like 4th grade for a few weeks because I had a 'poor attitude'.
And? I'm not saying you do have a poor attitude, but coaches expect you to tune into them at practice, and not doing so is very ignorant and disrespectful. Even if it is something unimportant like warm-down stretches, you should always be in the zone and attentive.

Josh

International Regular
People who block for an over or so, then go the big shot and stumps everywhere.

iamdavid

International Debutant
And? I'm not saying you do have a poor attitude, but coaches expect you to tune into them at practice, and not doing so is very ignorant and disrespectful. Even if it is something unimportant like warm-down stretches, you should always be in the zone and attentive.
Yes but we are human and one lapse particularly a minor one should not equate to 'a poor attitude' thus hindering that players prospects at the selection table etc.
Fair enough if you're always rocking up late not in the correct gear or you dont bust your ass at training, dont take advice on board, dont show a willingness to work at your game or you're just generally a disruptive influence.
But having it in for a player and punishing them over one minor lapse in concentration is over the top and its abusing your power.

bond21

Banned
that is pretty weak on their part david.

Do they think they are coaching the Australian team or something?

And dropping you down to 4th grade is stupid.

My club has a simple rule: pick players on their performance.

Some A graders dont even turn up to training and they still stay in the side because they are good enough. Some C graders turn up every week and dont ever move up because they arent good enough.

If an A grader scores a 50 every game, I dont think anyone would care i f he doesnt train because he is performing.

Dropping you to 4th grade for not "paying attention" during frickin warm downs is piss weak. Especially if you were performing in whatever grade u were playing before.

open365

International Vice-Captain
The class distinction between the 1st team and everyone else.

Like at nets, no first teamer will ever bowl in any other team's lane, and once the batsmen have finished batting they just sit down and don't repay the favour by bowling at others. Added on top of that they think they can just **** off at the end and not pay their fees.

I once got a bollocking by the second team captain because i wouldn't play on Sunday (i'm a 4th teamer and no where near good enough to play) when they were short. I pointed out to him that the only reason he wanted me to play was because the rest of the 2nd team were too lazy so he could go stuff himself.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
The class distinction between the 1st team and everyone else.

Like at nets, no first teamer will ever bowl in any other team's lane, and once the batsmen have finished batting they just sit down and don't repay the favour by bowling at others. Added on top of that they think they can just **** off at the end and not pay their fees.

I once got a bollocking by the second team captain because i wouldn't play on Sunday (i'm a 4th teamer and no where near good enough to play) when they were short. I pointed out to him that the only reason he wanted me to play was because the rest of the 2nd team were too lazy so he could go stuff himself.
Yeah agree with that. Basically anyone who bats in nets and then doesn't bowl, gets me really pissed off sometimes.

bond21

Banned
me and many other players get annoyed when some c graders bowl at us.

not the bowlers but the ones there to fill in the numbers who bowl down the leg side more often than not, giving me no practise at all.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah agree with that. Basically anyone who bats in nets and then doesn't bowl, gets me really pissed off sometimes.
That is annoying, and at my club it seemed to be solely the domain of the batsmen. As a bowler, it was hard to get any batting practice at all cause you'd go in last and no-one could be bothered. Either that, or when you're in there they think they'll try to spend the whole afternoon taking your head off. They bought in a new system in the end where you batted in the order you turned up, but it still didn't stop guys from pissing off after they'd had their turn.

The only reason I didn't bowl to people in 3rd or 4th grade most of the time was because there was a bit of a difference in levels and if you hit one of the 4th graders and you're a 1st grade bowler you usually don't have too many excuses. I'd bowl in two nets to 1sts and 2nd graders and if a 3rd or 4th grader wanted me to bowl at them I would. Of course, you can slow down and bowl a few, but I was there to practice what I do too so 2 hours of slow doesn't really help.