Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: batting help

Cricket Spectator

batting help

Hi everyone. Im having real problem with a certain ball.

A fullish delivery on middle/leg, and deliveries that cut in, i cant seem to help but get stuck to far across the line and falling over myself, or trying to leg glance and getting lbw or bowled.

I see the line and step to it, but if it moves in or cuts in i am then overbalanced to my right and try to compensate by flicking at the ball in a leg glance fashion. I know i should play straight, but my problem is i get myself into a position where i cant.

Is there a stance, or an initial movement or a change in technique i need to employ when facing a bowler who cuts in? I also face bowlers who cut in at random times, so how do i pick this ball and adjust to it?

thanks,

Nathan

Cricket Spectator
    oh and another thing...im having trouble bringing my back foot game into play. I seem to hop to quickly onto the front foot, and alot of shots that i should be playing on back foot im playing awkwadly on front foot. Im not confident in my ability to just stand and judge the length and react in time. Any tips there?

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    With the full balls on middle/leg it sounds like you could possibly take guard on leg stump to avoid being caught too far across your stumps, and work with a coach on maintaining your balance and keeping your head over the ball throughout the shot, all down to sharp footwork I think.

Also not wise to try glancing balls which are actually hitting the stumps, Mark Waugh and Ricky Ponting flick balls on middle and leg through midwicket and occasionally even backward of square leg and make it look remarkably easy, but we arent that good and the fact is your playing across the line to a straight ball so if you miss it you're gone. Try and stay more upright and play the ball straighter, using your front elbow more. And if its actually down leg and not hitting the stumps then you can pull out the wristy flick.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    First analysis of that is the sentence "I see the line and step to it". That strikes me as an unnecessary commitment - it would also explain why you feel stuck on your front foot.

Try leading with your head. It is the heaviest part of your body, and when it leads, the rest of your body follows. This ought to keep you more upright, prevent you from overbalancing (overbalancing is almost exclusively caused by the head being further to the off side than the feet) and keep you playing the ball from under your eyes. Otherwise you are left playing around your front pad and on a hiding to nothing.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Spectator
    ok thanks will keep those things in mind.

Yeah Quigley I naturally play on my front foot too.

I think you just need to practise more (with a new ball that is swinging not an old ball) and realize that the balls you are talking about are actually good deliveries so a dot ball is fine. You need to get your eye in before you can flick balls on middle stump on most occasions.

Another thing that you might be doing is flicking the ball too fine, think about how wide your bat is normally. and then infront of a mirror or video camera look at how wide the bat is with your glance. Your probably not judging how much the ball is going to swing.

As Neil Pickup said you play around your front pad when your head is not balanced. I also think you should make sure you have good fitting pads and thigh pad cause it's easy to play around your legs if they are too big. Also keep your eye on the ball and realize you don't need to hit the ball too hard with glances.
    Last edited by NUFAN; 14-10-2007 at 03:46 AM.

Cricket Spectator
    thanks guys, these r helpful tips. Twice in a row ive batted myself in only to get out cheaply to a lbw which swung in. gotta eliminate it from my game

Banned
    I will give you a tip from another perspective - Im a fast bowler and if i see a batsman only going onto his front foot, even to short of a length balls, he is asking to be hit.

Be careful because if a bowler sees you coming forward every ball, he will most likely throw in a short one and if you are stuck on your front foot, it is a lot harder to play.

I think coming forward too much is better than going back too much, just try and judge the balls to go back on and you will be right.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Short video of me with the bat. There's a good leave in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyurxKYnvJ0
    Jesus brings life eternal

remembering Phil 'The Prince' Hughes - we will always love you

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!

BTW this video had me in stitches
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    I aim to entertain. Haha, cheers mate.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    More than a little bit of Sreesanth in that action, Nathan.

Banned
    theyre not very good lol.

how many balls went down leg side?

Haha like it needs to be explained again...

1) That's not how I bowl.
    2) We were aiming for the camera.

Help! I keep getting out for the same number as that weeks gold lotto powerball.

What can I do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information