• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

batting help

Isura

U19 Captain
My advice would be to try and play straight. Don't play the leg glance unless the ball is wide of leg stump and pitched up. Practice bringing the front foot down towards mid on/midwicket and play the ondrive. Bringing the foot in that direction will help balance yourself and prevent tipping over to your right leg.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
similar to the problems the original poster was having, i am also having trouble playing the full ball pitching on middle and leg, especially early in my innings. i am very susceptible to LBWs to these balls because it seems that my front foot steps across the line of the ball. I usually take a middle stump guard.

even though i have recognized the problem, I am still having trouble correcting it. does anyone have additional advice that might be helpful for me?

thanks!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Try and keep your hands in tight, next to your body. Also, try really pointing your head straight at the bowler, chin almost touching your shoulder.

maditaliano

Cricket Spectator
Hi everyone. Im having real problem with a certain ball.

A fullish delivery on middle/leg, and deliveries that cut in, i cant seem to help but get stuck to far across the line and falling over myself, or trying to leg glance and getting lbw or bowled.

I see the line and step to it, but if it moves in or cuts in i am then overbalanced to my right and try to compensate by flicking at the ball in a leg glance fashion. I know i should play straight, but my problem is i get myself into a position where i cant.

Is there a stance, or an initial movement or a change in technique i need to employ when facing a bowler who cuts in? I also face bowlers who cut in at random times, so how do i pick this ball and adjust to it?

thanks,

Nathan
I know many people with exactly this problem, and I used to be one of them. Right now, still sort of overcoming it, I am getting throw-downs in the nets just to practice getting my foot out to the legside and straight while also incorporating my cover drive, etc.
Here's a few pointers from my problem that you may have.

- Get your head over the ball. If you can't play your shot with your front foot out a long distance and hold it for 5 seconds, chances are, your head isn't over the ball.
- Build up ankle strength, may seem a bit stupid, but I did a bit of this and it really helped my balance out.
- Trust yourself to judge it, I am now finding myself much more confident and relaxed at the crease while batting, I am trusting my eye to pick the ball up.
- Lean on the front leg and swivel on your back leg (I think you will probably be dragging your back leg behind you when you're playing your shots). Swivel on your back leg so that your toe is the only part of your foot on the ground, this will keep you in your crease and give you maximum power. If you do this properly your upper body will be straight by the time you've played the ball giving you more power.

Finally, your problem with the cutting of the ball:
- Don't see the ball, play the shot. Watch the ball RIGHT onto your bat. Too many times I've hit boundaries off swing bowling not watching it the whole way only to stuff up when the ball is cutting. Now, even if I play the ball well without watching it well, I tell myself to watch the thing. This is a current problem I am having - If I watch the ball, I find I can play the ball MUCH better than not, it's just getting into the habit of doing so. Give it time, it will come.

bond21

Banned
do you stand square on to the bowler?

big rookie mistake.

If you stand square on to the bowler of course it will be hard to play balls on the leg stump because your pad is in the way.

Open your stance up a bit.