Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: batting help

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Put some money on the lottery.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Help! I keep getting out for the same number as that weeks gold lotto powerball.

What can I do?
    Watch Keno instead. That goes up to 80.

All the best, Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by quigley View Post
    Hi everyone. Im having real problem with a certain ball.

A fullish delivery on middle/leg, and deliveries that cut in, i cant seem to help but get stuck to far across the line and falling over myself, or trying to leg glance and getting lbw or bowled.

I see the line and step to it, but if it moves in or cuts in i am then overbalanced to my right and try to compensate by flicking at the ball in a leg glance fashion. I know i should play straight, but my problem is i get myself into a position where i cant.

Is there a stance, or an initial movement or a change in technique i need to employ when facing a bowler who cuts in? I also face bowlers who cut in at random times, so how do i pick this ball and adjust to it?

thanks,

Nathan
    I found a similar problem 2 years ago. A senior member of my former club (and father of a rather decent up-and-coming young wicket keeper) was having a look at me in the nets. Every time a ball was middle and leg, and I tried to drive it, my pad got in the way, so I compensated, as you do, with the leg glance type shot, that barely connected bat and ball.

He fixed this in 2 ways:
    1. Changing my backlift - my backlift was coming straight through, from middle/off stump line swinging straight. He got me to angle my backlift further towards 2nd/3rd slip region so that it had a clearer line for driving balls on the leg side.

2. Bucketloads of throwdowns - It's boring, but it works. After about 5 sessions of 10 minutes worth of leg-side throwdowns I started playing the drive more naturally. The trick is not to just say "that'll do" and stop the throwdowns, because now I'm at a new club, and the leg flick is a problem again. Keep getting some throwdowns, it's the best way to improve a part of your batting that is struggling and trigger your mind to a natural movement and reaction.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Yeah, so true. Boring as bat-crap for the both of you, but so helpful.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Cricket Spectator
    Quigley, you have the same problem I had a few seasons ago.

The way i rectified this was to initially straighten up my backswing from 1st/2nd slip to come straight through from keeper to bowler( this may need a chnage in your grip) I found however that this was uncomfortable in my normal stance and so opened up my front leg to mid on in stance, causing the front foot to have to come much further across to get to the point of flicking straight balls and as the movement is automatic already the front leg will naturally only go so far when you pick up the line of the ball, with a more open stance this should open you up for the on drive more. Another point i changed was to stand a little more upright in my stance in order to level my eyes out as if your head is a little slanted or over to the offside you will pick up straighter balls as going down legside.
    If these don't work however, perhaps you may want to try stopping on the shot slightly, and settle for the single to square-leg midwicket area and wait for balls bowled to your strength.

Let me now how you get on with those points, but im confident it will sort you out, as long as you practice it religiously in nets.

Cricket Spectator
    thanks guys really helpful!

U19 Debutant
    My advice would be to try and play straight. Don't play the leg glance unless the ball is wide of leg stump and pitched up. Practice bringing the front foot down towards mid on/midwicket and play the ondrive. Bringing the foot in that direction will help balance yourself and prevent tipping over to your right leg.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    similar to the problems the original poster was having, i am also having trouble playing the full ball pitching on middle and leg, especially early in my innings. i am very susceptible to LBWs to these balls because it seems that my front foot steps across the line of the ball. I usually take a middle stump guard.

even though i have recognized the problem, I am still having trouble correcting it. does anyone have additional advice that might be helpful for me?

thanks!

Try and keep your hands in tight, next to your body. Also, try really pointing your head straight at the bowler, chin almost touching your shoulder.

International Regular DCC_legend's Avatar
    i cnt bat. hlp plix?

kthxbai
    Where's my money?

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by quigley View Post
    Hi everyone. Im having real problem with a certain ball.

A fullish delivery on middle/leg, and deliveries that cut in, i cant seem to help but get stuck to far across the line and falling over myself, or trying to leg glance and getting lbw or bowled.

I see the line and step to it, but if it moves in or cuts in i am then overbalanced to my right and try to compensate by flicking at the ball in a leg glance fashion. I know i should play straight, but my problem is i get myself into a position where i cant.

Is there a stance, or an initial movement or a change in technique i need to employ when facing a bowler who cuts in? I also face bowlers who cut in at random times, so how do i pick this ball and adjust to it?

thanks,

Nathan
    I know many people with exactly this problem, and I used to be one of them. Right now, still sort of overcoming it, I am getting throw-downs in the nets just to practice getting my foot out to the legside and straight while also incorporating my cover drive, etc.
    Here's a few pointers from my problem that you may have.

- Get your head over the ball. If you can't play your shot with your front foot out a long distance and hold it for 5 seconds, chances are, your head isn't over the ball.
    - Build up ankle strength, may seem a bit stupid, but I did a bit of this and it really helped my balance out.
    - Trust yourself to judge it, I am now finding myself much more confident and relaxed at the crease while batting, I am trusting my eye to pick the ball up.
    - Lean on the front leg and swivel on your back leg (I think you will probably be dragging your back leg behind you when you're playing your shots). Swivel on your back leg so that your toe is the only part of your foot on the ground, this will keep you in your crease and give you maximum power. If you do this properly your upper body will be straight by the time you've played the ball giving you more power.

Finally, your problem with the cutting of the ball:
    - Don't see the ball, play the shot. Watch the ball RIGHT onto your bat. Too many times I've hit boundaries off swing bowling not watching it the whole way only to stuff up when the ball is cutting. Now, even if I play the ball well without watching it well, I tell myself to watch the thing. This is a current problem I am having - If I watch the ball, I find I can play the ball MUCH better than not, it's just getting into the habit of doing so. Give it time, it will come.

Banned
    do you stand square on to the bowler?

big rookie mistake.

If you stand square on to the bowler of course it will be hard to play balls on the leg stump because your pad is in the way.

Open your stance up a bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information